Who does a timing belt at 70k miles?

additc

I just bought a used 2001 LC w/ 166k miles and the guy told me he did the timing belt. Trust worthy guy so I believed him. He gave me the maintenance receipts and it turns out he wasn't lying. He did have it done at a Toyota dealership. At 70,000 miles. In my mind when I was purchasing, he did it at >90,000 miles, which would give me at least another 15k miles before I have to get it changed. But nope. 70 fricken thousand. Now we're 20,000 over the 90,000 recommended interval. Who or why would anyone get it done so early? Anyone have a good explanation for this?

Upland80

Adventurer
You're upset because the PO completed maintenance ahead of schedule? You knew going in it needed to be done again...as long as it doesn't break, you're fine.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Its a good idea. Ive been told by a few mechanics that the belts do fail and they all seem to agree rubber life , getting hard and brittle same for old tires seems to be a big factor in the failures.

MTSN

Explorer
First time I’ve seen someone be bitter that the prior owner was meticulous about maintenance. Are you seriously complaining right now? If anything you didn’t do your due diligence to find out the details of the service, but griping about someone doing the tbelt service “early” is a bit ridiculous.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I did mine at ~50k miles. Purchased at 41k miles and 8 years old. Made my decision based on age and not mileage.

(edit) - forgot to mention that when I was making this decision, I was getting ready to ship the vehicle overseas for 3 years and didn't want to deal with it later...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

additc

Not really complaining. Just wondering if there was a better reason than I can imagine for doing it so early.
$1100 seems like a lot in 2007 for a timing belt and water pump.
I think what happened was when he took it to the dealer, they made suggestions, and he had it done.

I imagine it to go like this:

Dealer: Sir, your timing belt service is almost due, would you like us to do it while your car is already here? It will only cost $X instead of $X+Y when you take here for the timing belt service alone.

Guy: Uhm..ok. I better just get it done 20,000 miles earlier than I have to. Here is my money.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
More likely that the engine needed a seal, sensor, tensioner, or water pump replaced due to failure/leak

Such a service requires so much labor, tossing a new belt on it while you are in there is cheap insurance.

Don't like how much it costs? Then do it yourself.

As I said, most of the cost is due to labor.

It isnt difficult, just time consuming, hence the labor cost...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Not really complaining. Just wondering if there was a better reason than I can imagine for doing it so early.
$1100 seems like a lot in 2007 for a timing belt and water pump.
I think what happened was when he took it to the dealer, they made suggestions, and he had it done.

I imagine it to go like this:

Dealer: Sir, your timing belt service is almost due, would you like us to do it while your car is already here? It will only cost $X instead of $X+Y when you take here for the timing belt service alone.

Guy: Uhm..ok. I better just get it done 20,000 miles earlier than I have to. Here is my money.

No more like “ yea so my truck has 70k on it, oh so you need our 70k service package that will cost you $4000. They change the oil, feel bad they are bending him and his wife over the back of the waiting room couch so they do a dealer cost $900 TB job to make it sound impressive then hand him back his keys.

additc

I just called my guy for waterpump/timing belt replacement.
OEM belt/generic pump
$450

Just in case someone was wondering what it should cost.
Not $1100 in 2007 (that equals $1300 in today's money in case you were wondering)

JLee

Adventurer
OEM belt/generic pump
$450

Not $1100 in 2007 (that equals $1300 in today's money in case you were wondering)

Do an Aisin pump...absolutely no good reason to go generic.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
OEM belt/generic pump
$450

What does "my guy" mean? I can get a cavity filled at the dentist, or I can go to "my guy" in apartment 3b because he charges a third the price. Dealerships charge more, but usually have a warranty and use factory parts. That being said independent shops are better sometimes.

additc

What does "my guy" mean? I can get a cavity filled at the dentist, or I can go to "my guy" in apartment 3b because he charges a third the price. Dealerships charge more, but usually have a warranty and use factory parts. That being said independent shops are better sometimes.

My guy is just the shop down the street that I've gone to for more than 15 years. He's my guy because I don't feel like taking it anywhere else. Nothing special. Sorry that wasn't clear. Lets just chill now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles