Bush Winch

Saguache

Adventurer
Anyone ever use a set of these? What do you think?

http://www.bushwinch.com.au/
2fa544f4559010b93d419612e5912aa1.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

HRPINDC

Adventurer
It wouldn't work if you were buried in mud, a deep rut or stuck in water. I honestly can't see how that would actually work in a real world situation. The rope looked pretty thin to me and I would think it would pull you towards the side with the contraption rather than straight.

Box Rocket

It wouldn't work if you were buried in mud, a deep rut or stuck in water. I honestly can't see how that would actually work in a real world situation. The rope looked pretty thin to me and I would think it would pull you towards the side with the contraption rather than straight.
I'm not saying it's a good idea, but why do you think it wouldn't work in mud, a rut or water? Just because of access to the wheel? I guess I look at it as other recovery tools like a Maxtrax for example. Nice tool for certain situations, but not a silver bullet tool for all situations.
A traditional winch is obviously going to be better in more situations. But this thing is probably better than a come-a-long or using a hi-lift as a "winch".

downhill

Adventurer
I think these things originated in WWII. They do work, but as mentioned, not as versatile as an electric winch. The Bush Kit is $443.00 plus shipping. For that price you could buy a decent winch.

hemifoot

Observer
you can air down your tire and wrap your recovery strap around it as well.i know that works.fyi,a very inexpensive alternative to those land anchors is a 10 foot length of stout chain and 6 or 8 2 ft. pieces of rebar sharpened to a point.lay the chain in a v and pound the rebar thru the links and hook up the winch to the point of the v.

rgallant

Adventurer
The military versions of this I have seen used 2, one on each side. To use them you really have to avoid heavy use of the skinny pedal, just enough to turn the tire slowly.

For most people a winch is simply easier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke