Truck topper question--leer browning edition

DocMike

Since we're talking about purchasing used toppers here I thought I'd relay my buying experience. If you are looking for deals on used toppers keep an eye on the local used car lots. I was able to buy an aluminum topper for $200.00 that new would have cost almost $800.00. I had to replace the screens in the side windows and I chose to paint the topper to match the truck. It was silver when I bought it so I could have left it and it wouldn't have looked too bad. The topper was on a truck that was sitting on the back of the lot because the truck was a little beat up. I stopped in to the car lot and just made the salesman an offer on the topper. I told him I'd even take it off his truck and transfer it to mine myself. He took my offer and two days latter I drove by the same car lot and the truck was still sitting in the back row with the same price still in the window. It was $200.00 profit for him and he still could sell the truck for his original price.

97 Dakota snowjob.jpg

huntsonora

Explorer
I passed on all of the earlier toppers and found almost exactly what I was looking for this past week. Had to drive 150 miles to pick it up but other than color it’s exaxtly what I wanted. Paid $300 and it’s getting raptor lined this next week. Pretty excited to get it done. It is higher in the back and has fold up windows in the front. I’ll get pics up soon

02rangeredge

Adventurer
I passed on all of the earlier toppers and found almost exactly what I was looking for this past week. Had to drive 150 miles to pick it up but other than color it's exaxtly what I wanted. Paid $300 and it's getting raptor lined this next week. Pretty excited to get it done. It is higher in the back and has fold up windows in the front. I'll get pics up soon

sounds like a nice score, I'd assuming fiberglass? if so you saved a boatload!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I passed on all of the earlier toppers and found almost exactly what I was looking for this past week. Had to drive 150 miles to pick it up but other than color it’s exaxtly what I wanted. Paid $300 and it’s getting raptor lined this next week. Pretty excited to get it done. It is higher in the back and has fold up windows in the front. I’ll get pics up soon

Aaaack! No pictures... :eek:

Look forward to seeing it. :victory:

huntsonora

Explorer
A9FC6A07-9591-4921-9DA0-E9A4215115F5.jpg291FB269-D667-466E-8031-55CD74BD53E1.jpg5E820C50-3792-4329-9AA0-70608752222D.jpg

Here is the Leer topper I bought. I've bought some Raptor liner and will tint it to match the front winch bumper

I like the raised back end and I think it might be y'all enough to fit my 4wheeler in the bed when I need to take it.

I have a camping carpet kit that fits in the bed as well and will leave that in the truck 90% of the time

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That looks like the same model my buddy put on his truck. He was real happy with it, because he could toss a cot in the bed, and still sit up in the morning.
But I don't remember his side windows flipping up like yours do. That is an awesome advantage!

Great find! :victory:

Have you given any thought to putting one of those tailgate locks on?
My truck came with one, but it was frozen up, so I just got rid of it. Thinking about getting a new one...

huntsonora

Explorer
The side windows are a huge bonus for me! The guy I got it from has an aluminum tray that fits on the side rails and I can use it to put my bow or rifles on or to keep my kifaru pack on and I'll build a collapsible stand so it can double as a table when I set camp but I can open the windows and grab whatever I need from the tray

I'm going to make some screens with Velcro to put up when the windows are open to keep bugs out and keep the space ventilated

I need to look into the tailgate lock! Would be super handy to have

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles