Backpacking/car camping setup

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I use the REI 3.5" camp-bed for car camping. Best investment I have made for the wife and I. Once you use the 3.5 there is no going back!
I was going to suggest this too. I think a car based mattress and a backpack mattress are two very different things. Quality of sleep is essential to making a trip enjoyable. Get a good, thick, warm, stable car mattress, and then something portable and compact for the backpack.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I was going to suggest this too. I think a car based mattress and a backpack mattress are two very different things. Quality of sleep is essential to making a trip enjoyable. Get a good, thick, warm, stable car mattress, and then something portable and compact for the backpack.

No doubt! my backpacking pad sucks, I love to backpack but dam, pack the car up and enjoy. If you are car camping why not be comfortable, you will enjoy it , and go a whole lot more.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Good call on down sleeping bags. I've been though every synthetic through the years and they never compare to actual down. Once I splurged for my own down bag I haven't needed to buy another bag.

Although I'd recommend some kind of bag liner as well. A thin liner adds a little extra heat retention but mostly I find that thin layer of fabric helps body moisture dissipate a bit better. Bare skin against the bag fabric gets a little clammy.

Ryan Rogers

Adventurer
Just want to throw my support behind the REI Half-Dome 2+ :victory:

We have a couple different tents (and a pop-up camper), but the Half-dome 2+ is my go to if I'm heading out for a weekend, or a back-packing trip. I LOVE it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles