Backpacking/car camping setup

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
One of the things I love about this forum are that its a one stop shop for everything.

Short version. I need a combined car camping/backpacking tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad. Not looking to go ultralight, but split the difference between comfort and portability. I went to REI today and found some stuff I like. I'm looking at the REI Halfdome 2+ for the tent, REI Air Rail 1.5 for the pad, and North Face Furnace 20 degree bag. Reasoning, uses and alternatives are below, looking for feedback/experiences on the above items or good alternatives.

Okay y'all, so here's the deal. Most of my camping equipment is 20+ year old hand-me-down stuff. It's served me well the past few years, but stuff is starting to have issues, and hardly any of it is backpacking friendly.

Use: I split my time camping out of the back of the Jeep or close by and backpacking, or a combination of the two. Looking for a setup I can live comfortably out of the vehicle for weeks at a time (going to be using the sleeping bag/pad a month continuous bare minimum for field camp next summer) but still be able to backpack it and have a fairly light-ish pack. Currently I car camp a Kelty 4 man when the weather sucks and backpack a hammock or car camp it when the weather is nice. I love the hammock but it sucks when it rains and it sucks when its cold. The tent leaks, I have some stuff to spray on it and I hope that works because its a nice tent.

Sleeping pad: My pad took a big dump on me earlier this year. Something with the valve. Its an old style they don't seem to make anymore. Hell, I don't think slumberjack makes sleeping pads anymore. I want something fairly warm because I camp in the winter too. I really liked the REI Air Rail 1.5, and I also liked the Thermarest Prolite Plus and the REI Campbed 1.5-2.5. The campbeds are close to 2 lbs more but also close to $40 less.

Tent: I'm liking the REI 2+ more and more. I'm most set on it, my buddy just got one and I really like the size. Similarly priced/weight are a Kelty 2 man and a Nemo 2 man, and close to 50 bucks cheaper is the North Face Stormbreak 2. Its a little smaller and heavier than even the standard REI halfdome, but its cheaper, and you can't beat TNF warranty, right?

Sleeping bag: This is where I'm most unsure. Looking at down, the price is worth the longevity if the REI guys know their stuff. got in TNF Furnace 20 degree, really liked it. The REI equivalent was a couple ounces less and like 20 bucks more.

I'm willing to fork out some cash for some quality gear that will last me a long time, but I'm on a college budget. Looking forward to input!

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Here are my suggestions. Two great deals that will save you money that you can splurge on the 3rd item. Tailored to your college budget but good quality items.

TENT: Alps Mountaineering Lynx 2 $88. Alps is famous for tough medium-weight tents that are very affordable. Note the height, 46"---unusually spacious for a 2P. This is an unbeatable deal. Why so cheap? (1) It's on Steep and Cheap and (2) Alps' prices are generally way below other manufacturers' and discounts abound. The low price is NOT a reflection of the quality. Note for example the 2000 mm coating on the floor. (REI has never published the waterproof rating of their flys and floors.) The Lynx fly and canopy materials are higher denier than on the Half Dome.
https://www.steepandcheap.com/alps-...MI97XbjbDi1gIVDYGyCh3RRAAuEAQYASABEgLFTPD_BwE

See it at the Alps website: http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/tents/backpacking-tents/lynx

SLEEPING BAG: Kelty Cosmo Down 20 $160. This is the bag that always comes up first in backpacking forums when people ask for a "cheap, good-quality sleeping bag." Long is just $130 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014JQA9VU/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&th=1&psc=1. Regular is $160.

MATTRESS: Now that you've saved money on your tent and sleeping bag, spend a bit more for a very comfortable, warm mattress, the Exped Synmat 3-D 7. This will keep you warm close to zero F. Get the 25" wide one. The wide medium length is $189 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Exped-Syn-Mat-3-D-Sleeping/dp/B01BQ2E2RW You can find a better price if you hunt around. This will be quite a bit more comfortable than the REI AirRail 1.5.

outback97

Adventurer
You should definitely check out REI's garage sales... you can save a lot on your gear that way, allowing you to get higher quality stuff for entry level gear prices. My current backpacking setup (tent, sleeping bag, backpack) were had for 50% - 70% off.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I use the REI 3.5" camp-bed for car camping. Best investment I have made for the wife and I. Once you use the 3.5 there is no going back!

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
MATTRESS: I should add that for an extra 7 ounces you can get the Exped Synmat Mega 12, which I think is the most comfortable mattress on the market. Note the 4.7" thickness. Most people wouldn't consider this a backpacking mattress because it weighs 2.5 lbs, but I sold one last year to a big guy who intended to use it for backpacking. Now you're getting into the big bucks ($200) but again you can find good sale prices with patience and your reward will be a great night of sleep. If you're a smaller person you might find the 2.8" Synmat 3-D 7 adequate.

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/synmat-mega-12-lxw

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I would offer a bit of advice. Don't tie yourself strictly to REI.

Tent: the most important thing for an all around use is a good rain fly. You want one that goes almost the whole way to the ground, not those tent toupees that come with many. You don't want the rain to ever hit the main walls if possible. A good ground fly is a must. Never pitch directly on the ground. You also don't want it sticking out beyond the rain fly. If it's big Roll the edge under till it is just at the edge of tent walls. These 2 things will do more for keeping you dry inside than anything short of staying home.

Sleeping bag: You mention down and hammock. Consider a sleeping bag/ pad system. Down is useless compressed so they is no sense in having it in the bottom of you bag. Your paying for nothing. If you buy a bag with a pocket on the bottom made to accept an insulated pad instead you'll be better off. Another advantage to this, especially with a hammock, is you won't roll off your pad. It stays put in the bottom of your bag, plus you aren't paying for “extra” pad length/width you don't really need. Big Agnes has some nice gear, both tents and bags/pads, but I would imagine there are other options as well.

Hammock: staying comfortable in a hammock is tricky business with way more involved than just tossing in your bag and crawling in after. Good ones aren't cheap, but pay off in decent shut-eye. I'm fond of the Clark brand. They are expensive and a bit on the heavy side totaled up, but it is probably the most complete, feature rich, bomb-proof basic system on the market. Hennessy is another popular brand.

I'm not getting too specific on 5he equipment other than the branding because what works in your mind won't necessarily work in mine, but good gear is the key thing.

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
For a tent, have a look at the MSR Elixir 3. It's rated as a 3 person, but it's more like a very roomy 2 person. My girlfriend and I are very comfortable in it. It's also high quality and backed by a good warranty. It can be set up by one person very easily and can be split between two packs (as most backpackers do) for the backpacking trips. It also has set up options to let you set it up in different ways. You can set up the full tent, or just use the footprint and fly for a fast and light set up.

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/elixir-3

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Consider a sleeping bag/ pad system. Down is useless compressed so they is no sense in having it in the bottom of you bag. Your paying for nothing. If you buy a bag with a pocket on the bottom made to accept an insulated pad instead you'll be better off. Another advantage to this, especially with a hammock, is you won't roll off your pad. It stays put in the bottom of your bag, plus you aren't paying for extra pad length/width you don't really need. Big Agnes has some nice gear, both tents and bags/pads, but I would imagine there are other options as well.

This is a controversial topic that depends on individual perception, I suppose. I tried the Big Agnes Lost Ranger and had some problems with it. There were large pockets of cold air because the bag is held rigidly to 3 sides so I couldn't pull it in close to me to close up the spaces. When I turned on my side the hood wouldn't turn with me, so my face ended up inside the hood. Big Agnes told me later that their bags are made more for back sleepers.

On backpacking forums there is quite a bit of agreement that Big Agnes sleeping bags are overrated for temperature by at least 15 degrees---most posters report that the Lost Ranger 15 is actually a 30-35F bag, which makes it pretty heavy for that temperature. In spite of having no down on the bottom, the Lost Ranger weighs as much as a regular 20F down bag.

The only time I've ever had a problem slipping off the pad was with the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core, which is a slippery pad. When I switched to Exped pads that problem disappeared due to the tackier material.

With a Big Agnes bag you're completely dependent on the pad for warmth. If the pad springs an unrepairable leak you're in real trouble.With a regular bag at least you're covered by down on all sides.

The main attraction of Big Agnes bags in the beginning was their large size, for people who don't like a constricted mummy. The down on the bottom was moved to the larger top. But that huge size, especially the foot, is also what creates the problem of cold spots. In a normal bag you can fold the down over your feet to close up empty spaces. You can't do that with a BA bag because the pad is holding the material in place.

As for compressing down under you, that may be true but on the other hand, a regular sleeping bag has you covered all around no matter which way you turn. You can turn inside the bag or you can turn with the bag, lie on your side or on your back, makes no difference. The hood stays properly in place in all positions. When you get down to 20F, having a snug hood makes a big difference in body warmth.

I think the problem of small mummies is real, but I don't think Big Agnes's solution is a good one. You gain space and being glued to the pad if that's what you want, but you give up warmth and the freedom to move however you want.

Last edited:

Biker Eagle

Observer
AO76

Don't give up on the hammock. Get a good hammock tarp made of silnylon. Mine weighs under a pound and I've never been wet in it. Get an over and under quilt, either synthetic or down, and you won't get cold either. You're right about hammocks giving a better night's sleep. Watch some youtube videos by Shug. He'll show you how to hammock camp in comfort.

I've been a tent camper for 50 years, but now that I'm set up for hammock camping, my tents just languish on a shelf in my garage. Only use my RTT for back country 4x4 trips. My hammock stays packed in my backpack.

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Really interesting concept of the sleeping bag/pad combo, I’d never seen that before. I’ll look into it, if nothing else its cool! Good information on the Big Agnes bags concerning temperature, I’ll keep that in mind. Looks like the suggested Kelty and TNF bags are about the same price, but if the reviews say Kelty that’s what I’ll do.

Pads. Man, that Exped looks comfy, I’ll have to go try that out in the store. The Air Rail is pretty warm at an R value of 4.2, weighs 1lb 11oz and costs $100; the Exped is warmer still at 4.9, picks up weight to 2.3lbs and as you said is ~$189. I think the Air Rail would fit the hammock better for those fair-weather trips, but the Exped looks amazing, and the thickness probably helps it cope better for when the ground is really rough.

Tents. Agree with everything said about tents. My current Kelty 4 man has a ground cloth that matches the footprint of the tent and the rainfly goes all the way down. The waterproofing issues stem from age (I think) and I’m hoping to fix that, but I was really hoping my next tent would have the third pole in the design to really help push the fly away from the tent. The MSR is sweet but a little out of my price range. The Alps tent mentioned doesn’t have the third pole, which is a bummer, but at that price point I’m really gonna do some reading on it, you really can’t beat that, especially with the materials mentioned. That was a sweet catch, thanks PW.

I’m not giving up on the hammock, I love that thing and once I learned how to sleep diagonally I wish I could always sleep in it. It’s an Eno I picked up for nothing at Sam’s Club with a bug net and a tarp. It sucks when it rains though, I don’t get wet but there’s no living space or anything at all, all you can do is lay there. It would be nice to have some privacy changing too; it’s not a problem hanging out with my buddies but more of a problem when I’m leading a school group or on a field trip for my classes and the ladies are around. I’ll still run the hammock whenever the weather is good, but I’m not sure it’s worth investing in to make it a 4 season.

Whenever I have the funds to run a dedicated truck vs backpacking setup I’ll for sure have my eye on the Exped Mega. I’m not sure I need anything that big though, I’m probably close to 6’1” but only weigh about 150lbs (my height is why I was looking at the REI 2+; gives me a little more room without pushing the tent walls out towards the fly). I’ve got my eye on garage sales, that seems to be the place to go to get stuff. I’m not set on getting everything from REI, but there’s one close by and I can try stuff out in the store before looking for better prices elsewhere.

My current setup:
Hammock (minus tarp in this picture)
20161006_093203.jpg
Tent
20161218_083656.jpg

Keep the advice rolling!

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Alright, let's sweeten the deal on that Exped Synmat 3-D 7. REI has a coupon right now for 25% off one item in the garage. The code is 25GARAGE.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/130356/exped-synmat-3-d-7-sleeping-pad-medium-wide

Original price $189
Sale price $142
25% off that is $106.

A steal!

As for the tent, I agree that a brow pole opens up more "headroom," but not necessarily where your head is, more at the sides. There are certainly more expensive tents than the Lynx that have a brow pole. If I were a "broke college kid" I would go for the Lynx. With a peak height of 46" you might find that roomy enough.

The bill:
Lynx 2 $88
Kelty Cosmic 20 $150
Exped mattress $106
TOTAL $344

Total for the items in your first post: $479. Don't underestimate the value of a GREAT mattress.

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
I'm not giving up on the hammock, I love that thing and once I learned how to sleep diagonally I wish I could always sleep in it. It's an Eno I picked up for nothing at Sam's Club with a bug net and a tarp. It sucks when it rains though, I don't get wet but there's no living space or anything at all, all you can do is lay there. It would be nice to have some privacy changing too; it's not a problem hanging out with my buddies but more of a problem when I'm leading a school group or on a field trip for my classes and the ladies are around. I'll still run the hammock whenever the weather is good, but I'm not sure it's worth investing in to make it a 4 season.

Whenever I have the funds to run a dedicated truck vs backpacking setup I'll for sure have my eye on the Exped Mega. I'm not sure I need anything that big though, I'm probably close to 6'1” but only weigh about 150lbs (my height is why I was looking at the REI 2+; gives me a little more room without pushing the tent walls out towards the fly). I've got my eye on garage sales, that seems to be the place to go to get stuff. I'm not set on getting everything from REI, but there's one close by and I can try stuff out in the store before looking for better prices elsewhere.

My current setup:
Hammock (minus tarp in this picture)
View attachment 420824
Tent
View attachment 420823

Keep the advice rolling!

head over to hammockforums

for room you need a good winter tarp for hammocks TONS of room for hanging out way more than a tent
if its really buggy though ? but also for changing a good winter tarp gives you enough room and privacy to change

OH for the room with a view porch mode on a good hammock tarp :)

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
When I was doing the combined Jeep base camping & hiking thing I would do a 9x9 (x 6' inside height) dome...wore 2 out (various names) and still have the third.
after the knees gave out I went to a tent with straight sidewalls (currently the dome is for quickie weekenders). In between I have used various outfitter tents (definitely only for vehicle, maybe pack animal, base camping).
I used to get a lot of stuff from Campmor (the current Eureka dome is from there), in the days before internet (watch for sales)...

Enjoy!

Attachments

• 25 Camp LD 2017DSCF0282.jpg
    25 Camp LD 2017DSCF0282.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 22

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice all. There's an REI garage sale his weekend I'm gonna try and go to. I went camping this past weekend up at Linville and hammocked it, it was raining all night and pretty miserable. Definitely haven't figured out all the tricks to hammock camping yet, thanks for the recommendation for the forums. Maybe I need to break down and buy a roof rack, I really like Jeff's homemade awning on the Jeep section here. That would at least give me somewhere dry to cook while car camping. Definitely have my eye between the Lynx and the REI 2+ still, and haven't ruled the Stormbreak out. I like the headroom and price of the Lynx and the footprint, pole design and weight of the 2+. I wish I could get my hands on a Lynx and see what its like, maybe someone on here has one and can chime in?
20171014_095449.jpg

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I wish I could get my hands on a Lynx and see what its like, maybe someone on here has one and can chime in?

Go to this testimonials page and search for "Lynx":
http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/testimonials

Also: https://www.backcountry.com/alps-mountaineering-lynx-al-2-tent-2-person-3-season
Notice the last review by the person who used the Lynx 2 on Mt Whitney.

The common themes in Alps Mountaineering tent testimonials are rain and wind resistance and good quality at a low price. If you don't like the tent you can always sell it on Craigslist---easily, I think.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles