Can i add 134a to a old Engel?

rc51kid

Adventurer
So i picked up a old Engel for cheap to day. It does work, just not super cold. I will pick upa thermometer tomorrow for some real numbers. But but i have it running about 7 hours our in my truck. it was definitely "cool". The compressor was still running the whole time. The compressor was warm, almost hot but you could put your hand on it for a long time no problem. The condenser was barely warm, probable mostly heat from the compressor. The cooling block or whatever it is called inside the cooler was cool to the touch. A few areas of the copper tube before it enters the enclosed cooling element were frosted up. So things are definitely "working". I just dont know if they are getting as cool as it should. Like i said i will get a thermometer tomorrow and let her run.

I have vacuumed and charged auto AC systems before using a manifold. I know enough to be dangerous. I see that the compressor has the pinched off fill line on the bottom. Could i silder on a valve to that fill line and hook up my AC manifold, check pressures?

The system right now ha R12 in it according to the label. I think i might actually have a few cans of real r12 at my dads place but i need to look. If i do could i refill it with the proper amount of R12?

The other option would be to vacuum the system and refill it with 134A.I know the oils of R12 and 134A dont mix well. If i wanted to fill with 134A how could i flush the oils other than just vacuuming the system down?

Or does it sound like they system id working as it should and i should just let it run? Really just looking at ideas.

kerry

Expedition Leader
R134a runs at higher pressures than R12. This makes me doubt that simply changing R134a for R12 would work. If I were you and it needed more refrigerant I would use R12 or one of the substitutes for R12.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
Stupid question but did you do you test with the fridge empty? If you did that is the problem. Typically a fridge has to work harder to cool air space and needs mass to work effciently. Try filling with bottled water or soda and see what happens in 12 hours.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne