The why and how for an adventure trailer. "Chuck" is Done!

gwolff

Observer
Sweet job on the Timbren install. The bracket you fabricated with gussets looks beefy. I retrofitted my trailer with the same model as you, I beefed up the frame but I ended up using the crossmember anyways. Make sure you use the appropriate grade bolt for the hangar, it kinda looks like you had some regular bolts in there.

Jojo29er

Observer
I'll double check the bolts, I'd assume he's used grade 8. For
James first Timbren install it looks as if it were his 100th. RLC has been a blessing to find for the build.

Jojo29er

Observer
Found this pic while looking for Christmas card photos. Circa 2010. Modified Lowe's trailer with extended tongue to fit canoe, HF ladder rack and Yakima crossbar and load warrior. Worked pretty well but wouldn't be willing to take it too far. Did well on short lake trips though.
20171204_212550.jpg

Attachments

• 20151024_172450.jpg
    20151024_172450.jpg
    675.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Jojo29er

Observer
Trailer box is almost complete. Rack and nose basket are all that remains. Off to paint next.

20171218_134627_resized.jpg

Last edited:

JKChad

Observer
Trailer box is almost complete. Rack and nose basket are all that remains. Off to paint next.

View attachment 428641
Great work so far! I'm planning my next trailer build while I continue the evolution of my current. I'm really liking your setup. Car to share your box dimensions? How tall are you overall, to the top of the box and/or rack? My only issue is height clearance so my trailer w/rtt can fit into my garage. What size tire are you running? Thanks!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jojo29er

Observer
James at RLC is a solid fabricator. Everything so far has been golden. I wanted to make the fenders removable in case they were damaged or were needed to be removed for some reason. It'll also make the Linex process easier.

Jojo29er

Observer
Great work so far! I'm planning my next trailer build while I continue the evolution of my current. I'm really liking your setup. Car to share your box dimensions? How tall are you overall, to the top of the box and/or rack? My only issue is height clearance so my trailer w/rtt can fit into my garage. What size tire are you running? Thanks!!

What's your garage height? I'm in the same boat. Let me get to a computer to give al, the specs and reasons, phone sucks for long explanations.

Jojo29er

Observer

So the overall height now is 64" with the rack, unloaded, without finishing with cabinets. Actual box height 36" (rack adds 4"). Suspension is Timbren heavy duty with 4" lift. The tires were fully inflated to 45 PSI. I hope to lose close to an inch once I deflate to the proper PSI. I'm running 17" TRD rims and KO2 tires 265/75. My garage height is 82" at the seal so I'm gonna be pushing it for a RTT. I don't think I'll get any more sag out of the Trimbren suspension with added weight. I was planning/hoping on a little less than 64" height. I don't want to add the complexity of a lift for a tent or awnings. I'll update when I get closer.

The width of the box is 51" outside, this allowed for a 48" pull out slide for the kitchen galley on the passenger side. This puts the overall tire width about 2" wider than the Tacoma. I'm in the process of designing a pull out sink/shower on the drivers side, however it has to pull out over the kitchen galley on the opposite side and a good design isn't that straight forward for me. I have an idea but any advise here is appreciated. The plan is to have a table with a sink to drop down from the higher level, a tankless water heater to clip to the door, and have usage from the front of the box. If I have a RTT it will pull over to the drivers side, the side door access there on the trailer will be for the battery on/monitor/switches and drawer for misc. recovery/junk items, I.E. it won't be for standing under the tent for extended times. I hope the awning brackets needed will add enough height on the passenger side and rear for me (5'10").

Length of the box was a hair over 6' although I haven't measured with the bumper on. The back door/table will fold down and serve as an eating table and measuring 34" tall. I'm hoping a full water tank here will compress the suspension some but as stated above I doubt. I've got a cool idea here for table legs that will have the look of a high lift jack, they will be permanently mounted at the top/sides, removable at the bottom with cotter pins. They will fold flat against the door during transport, cotter pins removed and used to adjust an inner extension for length. The table will seat 4 comfortably. My thought here is to have all needed surfaces to be built in without the need to carry additional tables.

In the end I'm hoping all my calculations and wants will work out, fingers crossed. I think I'm pretty close but only time will tell. Being a scratch build for me and RLC there has been some guesstimations. All good so far.

This was a rough design based from a Turtleback. However I didn't like the the rear kitchen design or height. Price/location also a big factor. This will stand taller and have no open doors that separate the rear from the sides.

Last edited:

Jojo29er

Observer
Another cool feature. The trailer wheel bearings have a grease port. Not sure if RLC added this with the axles as an option from Timbren. Big plus with foresight for maintenance. We'll also be adding some LED reverse lights in the bumper.

Last edited:

Bluegrassjku

Your trailing is looking great. Are you having line-x of Lexington do your line-x? I've known the family for years, really good people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles