The why and how for an adventure trailer. "Chuck" is Done!

Jojo29er

Observer
To say the least this will be a long, helpful, and soul searching thread. I welcome all of you comments suggestions and ideas as I start this project.

I wanted to document my trailer build, what better place than here. I've spent countless hours searching this site for ideas and inspiration. My goal is there parts:

-For HELP! I'm Gonna need it.
-In the end to have a great resource for others tackling a scratch build.
-To remind myself and others why we are here, to seek adventure outside our world and within ourselves.

I hope that we all can enjoy, lots more to come.

Jojo29er

Observer
Without getting to sappy I wanted to give a brief background of how I found myself here. Hopefully it will clear up a lot of questions or stupid comments that may come.

Unlike most of the forum members here, I don't have any background in off roading. To be honest I don't know how much I'll be doing in the future. All of my adventures to this point have been on foot, by pedal, or paddle. I grew up backpacking with my family and friends. Adding mountain bikes, snowboards, and kayaks fit into how I was raised, utilizing the all the outdoors with as little as an impact as possible. Getting away from the mainstream and some how getting to know myself more.

As much as I have tried, some of my adventures have been too much for close family and friends. It seems not everybody enjoys eating granola, backpacking 15 miles up hill both ways in the snow to see a waterfall. Sure, there were always friends to bike, backpack, and snowboard with. However it seemed the deeper I searched for a new adventure the further I distanced myself from the people I wanted to share the experience with the most. How could I fulfill my adventurous itch with my wife a young daughter?

Car camping looked like my best option. All the amenities of home crammed in the back of my truck, surrounded by 100 other families looking for the same. Sure it's a great way to introduce my daughter to the outdoors. It also didn't leave blisters on my wife's feet or render any broken bones. However I was left feeling a lack of accomplishment. I guess I've always felt I had to earn my reward through blood, sweat, and tears.

I still have my own adventures from time to time. I'll always have one or two friends that enjoy the pain that sub freezing tent camping offers. Or the risk of a double black diamond ski run. But I've come to realize that making my daughter attempt these activities is likely to push her away from enjoying the outdoors, and possibly her father.

But that's when I found " The Enchanted Rockies" YouTube video. Sure, some may have thought it was Disney meets off roading. But it lit a spark, an idea.
This is something that can be done together, something that has that since of adventure, of not knowing what's next, and most importantly a since of accomplishment. It was overlanding and I was ready to go all in!

Jojo29er

Observer
Wow! This ******** is expensive! The excited hours watching Overland Expedition, countless other videos, and reading came to a screeching halt. I can't afford an adventure trailer? Who can? What do these guys do for a living anyway? OK, I can do this on a budget, I have a truck. A couple of totes and an air compressor and I'm good to go right? Well kinda.

We set out this year to spend more time outdoors than ever before. And we did. Southern Outer Banks, Ashville, Mammoth Cave, Dale Hollow Lake. Seven trips and counting this year and all with the family. Its been great. Packing, unpacking, cleaning, setup, take down, etc, etc not so much. It's proved more difficult than throwing some freeze dried food into a backpack and heading out on the trail.

By the end of the summer I got pretty good keeping things packed up and ready to go for a short weekend. Totes stayed packed with tents, quilts, bedding. Car camping gear got separated into their own tote. We got better at packing clothes and food. Camp setup and take down was still time consuming. Trailer plans and ideas crept into my head constantly. Can I make this? Do I have to spend 30k on a trailer?

The answer was no. It turned out my daily eBay search led me to an option right in my backyard. Time to put the pen to paper and make a phone call.

rnArmy

Adventurer
You don't have to spend a ton of money on a trailer. You can build one that will meet your needs just fine with a modified Harbor Freight trailer frame.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...ype-trailer-ultimate-build-up-thread-1180456/

Essentially build a box on a frame, put a RTT on the top, swap out the axle and suspension for better (isn't expensive) and you're about done.

Box was built by a company called "Diamond Deluxe".

You can trim down a HF 4x8' trailer frame to the same size as the WWII trailers (41" x 72"). Some simple frame reinforcements and they're quite off-road capable. Here's mine built on a 4' HF type frame:

Hardtop.25.jpgCover.1.jpg

Last edited:

Jojo29er

Observer
I do like the idea of the HF trailer conversions rnArmy. If I could weld I may have considered that. My trailer is going to be much larger and heavier than what that trailer could handle without major fabrication. Just made more sense to start from scratch.

Jojo29er

Observer
Time to get the wheels rolling, literally. First purchase TRD rims and tires. No turning back now, money spent.

23750085198_47913c96a2_c.jpg

Last edited:

Jojo29er

Observer
One of the first items for discussion was suspension. My initial plan was to use a traditional leaf spring. James had mentioned his interest and the benefit of using an independent axeless suspension. I liked the idea but it was early to start busting up my budget. We decided that I could probably lose a spare tire and mount, having matching rims and tires should be able to get me through flats without too much trouble. In the end we decided on the Timbren heavy duty with a 4" lift.

37577506136_e05ab38ce6_c.jpg

Now installed we've been able to determine the final shelf heights. Having a good table height at the rear was an important part for me. With a few changes we got it figured out. The main box has been constructed.

37626246321_25a54cd4ce_c.jpg

Jojo29er

Observer
So a previous post got deleted, I'll try and keep this in the best order I can. I apologize in advance.

So during a daily eBay search for adventure trailer I came across a listing for a m416 style military trailer. Quality and paint construction looked nice but it didn't quite fit the bill for what I had been imagining. Two things caught my interest: The description stated custom trailer options are possible, second the seller was located in Louisville, KY. Louisville is an hour drive from Lexington, worth an email to discuss possibilities.

I got a quick response from James Callahan of RLC Fabrication & Welding LLC (https://www.rlcweldfab.com/). I gave a brief description of what I wanted to build and a price point. After a few emails back and forth regarding design ideas it was time for a meet and greet.

37570687552_f8578011a5_c.jpg

After a couple hours of trading ideas and looking at current projects we both felt this was feasible project. After a few more emails a rough plan was made.

36892409624_5352fa333b_c.jpg

I'm trying to stay flexible with the plans because I may not be able to do everything I want on my budget. A few things were a must though:

A side slide out kitchen galley.
A rear fold down door that doubled as a kitchen table, big enough to sit four.
An open concept where open doors didn't isolate any side of the trailer.
Rims and tires to match the Tacoma.
A large open shelf allowing my to build custom cabinets
A versatile roof rack

It looks like an idea and dream is becoming reality. We had a few unknowns regarding suspension, overall trailer height, and weight but James felt confident things would fall into place. The only thing left to do was to pull the trigger and start buying parts.

Last edited:

Jojo29er

Observer
23355.jpeg

Bottom floor installed. The rear section was attached from the bottom to create a tub for the water tank. Support and bracket next. I'm debating on adding a drain plug here in case of a leak in the tank. Does anybody have any thoughts if this is needed?

MrSteve

View attachment 421970

Bottom floor installed. The rear section was attached from the bottom to create a tub for the water tank. Support and bracket next. I'm debating on adding a drain plug here in case of a leak in the tank. Does anybody have any thoughts if this is needed?

Jeep Wrangler style drain plug setup. Nothing sticks down past the bottom floor. Can be popped from bottom or top. Won't rust shut.

Jojo29er

Observer
Since the box was going to be basic James came up with the idea of recessing the panels in a bit to give it some structure. Great idea imo. Gives the sides some depth while being subtle.23816.jpeg

Jojo29er

Observer
That looks prefect. Why are they oblong? Seems a little more difficult to fabricate. Are there standard round options? I've been hesitate to design anything that cuts into the skin but that's been difficult. Between things I want Linex on and feasible options for water tank fill options it's inevitable.

Jojo29er

Observer
Moving forward, hope to have the shell done before the end of the year. Fenders and skins completed, doors coming along.24221.jpg

25031.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles