Flatlanders Go West

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Hey man great job on this report. I don't know why i finally remembered this, but I read it all and your writing skills are excellent. So jealous of the trip. I was supposed to go last May to Moab and Ouray but life got in the way. How's the next 1 going to go with 2 dogs? Again thanks for taking another Midwesterner along for the ride. Im going to have to hit you up for camp spots when i finally make it west.

Thank you sir! This took way longer than I thought it was going to that's for sure. Have one more chapter to finish off the trip, but I've been having fun writing it.
Domo had enough room on this trip and I think we over packed, so now knowing what we do and don't need on a long trip like this i think two dogs will fit just fine. Luckily Blue heelers are fairly small lol.
If you need help planning just let me know! Planning our next one too.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thank you for continuing to share, at i add places to my own list! A perfect trip in my book, explorations, with the dog and wife/significant other. Great job!

Happy Trails & Safe Travels

the deputy

Excellent expedition. Sure like the way you two folks roll. Like your minimalist approach; it's not always about a high-dollar vehicle, fancy gear and accessories. And, just goes to show a person what can be accomplished with a great attitude, determination...and l suppose...a little luck. Hoping to do some adventuring soon, with my 2001 LR Dll...but l'll probably need more...than a "little" luck...lol.

Looking forward to more.

Brian.

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Excellent expedition. Sure like the way you two folks roll. Like your minimalist approach; it's not always about a high-dollar vehicle, fancy gear and accessories. And, just goes to show a person what can be accomplished with a great attitude, determination...and l suppose...a little luck. Hoping to do some adventuring soon, with my 2001 LR Dll...but l'll probably need more...than a "little" luck...lol.

Looking forward to more.

Brian.

For now I prefer the old vehicles, they still have a charm that new vehicles don't. Sure it might break down more often but fixes are almost always easy and always cheap.

Big believer in that your vehicle will take care of you just as well as you take care of it. In the case of a disco, just be sure to keep up with the coolant system. They can be finicky

Thanks for reading!

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
So I've been really lazy on the final chapter for this trip but for a good reason. I recently accepted a job out in Salt Lake City! After spending sometime in the area while on this trip I knew we would be moving there eventually just didn't know it would be so soon. In the next month we are gearing up to move out, then the adventures really begin

Last edited:

St8ton

This is a really great write-up and adventure. As an east-coaster I want to get out there so bad. Looking forward to reading the next chapter.

VicMackey

Adventurer
Wow man, great write up. Made me feel like I was there with you. A couple things:

The selfie of all three if you in the truck.....you may have been nervous on the switchbacks, but you could tell in the photo that the dog had all the confidence in the world you were going to make it through fine. He was right.

You may want to hit me for saying this, but I think the red tailgate looks pretty good on your Cherokee.

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Wow man, great write up. Made me feel like I was there with you. A couple things:

The selfie of all three if you in the truck.....you may have been nervous on the switchbacks, but you could tell in the photo that the dog had all the confidence in the world you were going to make it through fine. He was right.

You may want to hit me for saying this, but I think the red tailgate looks pretty good on your Cherokee.

Appreciate the read!
The red didn't look terrible but I couldn't get my mind off of thinking it looked like a candy cane lol
I still have the red hatch but unfortunately I wont be dragging it to SLC with us lol

Doc_

Sammich!
Awesome writeup! I love old XJs and fantastic desert scenery, and your thread brought out heavy helpings of both. This is a really excellent journey, and I'm pretty sure I'll have to go back and start from the beginning. Thank you for sharing.

Copperhead14

Observer
Just read your entire post. I clicked thinking another middle of the Midwest perspective would be nice. Little did I know I’m only 40 miles from you in West Lafayette. In 2015 My wife and I drove to Ouray in the 2014 rubicon I had with our late basset hound. It was a beautiful place. I cannot wait to go back. I had read about it since I was a kid. We have 18 month old twins and a Cummins 2500 mega cab. I am building it to utilize a roof top tent.

I thoroughly enjoy your writing style and great pictures. You will have plenty more adventures in Salt Lake City.

I am 41 and cannot wait for adventures with my wife and twins.

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Just read your entire post. I clicked thinking another middle of the Midwest perspective would be nice. Little did I know I’m only 40 miles from you in West Lafayette. In 2015 My wife and I drove to Ouray in the 2014 rubicon I had with our late basset hound. It was a beautiful place. I cannot wait to go back. I had read about it since I was a kid. We have 18 month old twins and a Cummins 2500 mega cab. I am building it to utilize a roof top tent.

I thoroughly enjoy your writing style and great pictures. You will have plenty more adventures in Salt Lake City.

I am 41 and cannot wait for adventures with my wife and twins.

Hello from another Hoosier! Sorry to hear about the basset, but congrats on the twins!

We loved the San Juan's, such a beautiful area and we can't wait to go back too. It's under a 7hr drive from Salt Lake, with all the areas to explore in Utah though I'm not sure when we will make it back out. We will probably have a JKUR by the time we make it back out there too (fingers crossed)

Thanks for the read and compliments, I was a little apprehensive about writing our story having not ever done anything like that before but I'm really glad I did it everyone is enjoying it.

Irongrave

congrats on the new gig and great trip report makes me miss having an XJ a little. I would love the read the last chapter if/when you get around to it.

Copperhead14

Observer
I have been off-roading in some fashion for 25 years. My JKUR was the most capable vehicle yet. I am hoping to work my mega cab up to be a capable rig. If you don’t mind me asking, what kind of work are you in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles