Medical Kit Containers: Bag vs Hard Case

C7mb

Since getting into overlanding and hiking, I have been meaning to update the medical kit in my truck for some time now. After seeing the Outer Limit Supply hard case medical kit, I wanted to build something similar for my rig, but not as expensive. My original intentions were to purchase all of the supplies individually, but I soon realized that it would be more cost effective to just buy a preassembled kit. I ended up settling on the Adventure Medical Grizzly kit, however I still want the organization and robustness of a hard carry case. After spending $150 on the medical kit, it would be another $150ish to purchase a Nanuk 915 with the Trekpak dividers, so I am debating whether or not a hard case is worth it.

For all of you experienced overlanders/adventurers, do you use a hard case to house your medical kits? Do you think it is worth the extra money to keep the kit in a more secure case? I would love to hear your thoughts!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
A hard case would use up more space. The Soft Adventure kit you can easily hang off your head rest and be readily available .

FJOE

Regular Dude
For my home, I have a rather extensive kit in a Pelican 1510 Case. I used the Pelican foam divider kit that is normally used for photographers to organize it. I think I spend maybe almost $200 on that set up. Worth it though. The lid organizer is especially handy to hold the small tools and all the boo boo stuff like band aids and ointments.

Ray_G

Explorer
I would suggest it depends on where it is stored. My med kits are all inside trucks where they don't see the elements frequently, thus soft bags are my choice as they store easier into their place in my trucks.
Were I going to be using it a lot or storing it in a place that is exposed, I'd seriously consider a peli or equivalent.
r-
Ray

wildorange

Observer
Why not both?
Depending on circumstances I use an ex-mod issued pack for the motorcycle and I've got a handful of suitable size Peli cases for vehicle usage.

I'd avoid a full size paramedic size bag unless I was in a group, even then each member would hold basics anyway.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
This thread is worthless without pictures!

Well, only a little, but I'd still like to see 'em. I've got a bag-style (since it's in the van interior), but I'm not 100% happy with it. Would prefer to find a good (but not over-large) FAK bag and load it myself...

robert

Expedition Leader
Not a fan of hard cases in most situation; generally unnecessary, they take up extra room, they tend to weigh more, they need to be secured (obviously all equipment should be secured but especially hard items) and I just don't like working out of them. I do use small hard or padded cases to hold specialized/delicate items within the soft bag i.e. drug vials/syrettes and electronics. My personal opinion/experience is that most folks tend to pack way more than they need and often more than they are trained to use. Also learn how to use items for multiple roles and to improvise and you can pare your kit down a lot. JMHO

There are a lot of good bags and various kits out there, find one that you are comfortable working with and either buy one or build yourself something similar. Like most camping equipment, knives, guns, hats, whatever, you will most likely change a few times while you figure out what you like. The important thing is that you get some training, have at least a basic first aid kit and know where it is and how to use it.

I'll toss out one more thing I've found helpful for the truck anyways- have two kits. Have your normal first aid kit with whatever you decide you need in it but also have a small bag/pouch/Ziploc/whatever as a "boo-boo kit". Just the commonly needed items in an easy to grab place such as a center console, seat pocket, etc. These are just the most commonly needed things like band-aids, Tums, ibuprofen, a piece of moleskin, a pair of tweezers- whatever you have needed or wanted in the past. In addition to being easy to grab for small things it keeps you from raiding your main kit for those supplies. Bonus tip- a small tube of the pain relieving version of your choice of antibiotic ointment is nice for things like hangnails but also helps quiet crying kids.

ETA- Yes, I know I was asking about pouches for a Pelican box last year, that was for a specific purpose- some of the guys I knew who were part of the balloon chase crews were looking for options.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I will throw in my 2 cents. the hard cases will take a lot of space, are heavy and expensive. For most uses overkill, depending on how and what you will use. Don't bring stuff you don't know how to, or are not comfortable using. Things that serve more than one purpose are great with a few exceptions. ( for example a tourniquet, yes you can improvise one- but i promise it wont be as reliable and effective as a CAT. not to mention it does not take up much space)

I built my own sourcing from some varying mfgrs and companies. It did take a lot of time, and my kit is extensive. Adventure medical kits for example they make a good product, and its convenient to order one already put together, and usually cheaper for most general uses kits. I went with their suture and dental kits when building mine for example. > X2 The being comfortable, in the use, and knowing what you have and how to use it can not be stressed or stated enough. <* You don't want to be trying to use or need something the first time and have never opened your kit before.

All that being said I have a modular kit, ( ill post pics after work) in a backpack type bag. Once opened it has labeled pouches( Vitals, Bleeding,hemorrhage, ortho,environmental, meds,etc). It allows me to grab one of the pouches and take just it, or the entire kit. Or the pouches can be placed into a hard case, for rafting, strapping to a mule,roof rack, etc. Important expensive instruments, my ENT kit, stethoscope,BP cuff, SPO2 monitor are in hard cases. Lighter and great protection.

Also Ziplock bags are underrated for this type of use, cheap, clear, waterproof. And easy to build or change as needed. It can be really easy to go overboard, or completely ignore this( first aid kits) as a need. If you have the time, and want to build your own it can be cheaper-its not convenient though.

Just my thoughts, Happy Trails!

C7mb

A hard case would use up more space. The Soft Adventure kit you can easily hang off your head rest and be readily available .

True, although I have just enough room to fit a hard case behind the rear seats in my DCSB Tacoma.

For my home, I have a rather extensive kit in a Pelican 1510 Case. I used the Pelican foam divider kit that is normally used for photographers to organize it. I think I spend maybe almost $200 on that set up. Worth it though. The lid organizer is especially handy to hold the small tools and all the boo boo stuff like band aids and ointments.

Yes I really love the look and organization of the hard cases! I would most likely either use the Trekpak or make my own organizers.

I would suggest it depends on where it is stored. My med kits are all inside trucks where they don't see the elements frequently, thus soft bags are my choice as they store easier into their place in my trucks.
Were I going to be using it a lot or storing it in a place that is exposed, I'd seriously consider a peli or equivalent.
r-
Ray

I was thinking of keeping the kit inside the truck, but I could also mount it in the bed so that it is more readily available (especially if the truck is locked during an emergency).

Why not both?
Depending on circumstances I use an ex-mod issued pack for the motorcycle and I've got a handful of suitable size Peli cases for vehicle usage.

I'd avoid a full size paramedic size bag unless I was in a group, even then each member would hold basics anyway.

True. Yes I wanted something comprehensive, yet portable. I love the Grizzly kit so far, its just that the bag design isnt as organized as I would like it to be.

This thread is worthless without pictures!

Well, only a little, but I'd still like to see 'em. I've got a bag-style (since it's in the van interior), but I'm not 100% happy with it. Would prefer to find a good (but not over-large) FAK bag and load it myself...

I agree! I will definitely update the thread once I figure out my solution.

Not a fan of hard cases in most situation; generally unnecessary, they take up extra room, they tend to weigh more, they need to be secured (obviously all equipment should be secured but especially hard items) and I just don't like working out of them. I do use small hard or padded cases to hold specialized/delicate items within the soft bag i.e. drug vials/syrettes and electronics. My personal opinion/experience is that most folks tend to pack way more than they need and often more than they are trained to use. Also learn how to use items for multiple roles and to improvise and you can pare your kit down a lot. JMHO

There are a lot of good bags and various kits out there, find one that you are comfortable working with and either buy one or build yourself something similar. Like most camping equipment, knives, guns, hats, whatever, you will most likely change a few times while you figure out what you like. The important thing is that you get some training, have at least a basic first aid kit and know where it is and how to use it.

I'll toss out one more thing I've found helpful for the truck anyways- have two kits. Have your normal first aid kit with whatever you decide you need in it but also have a small bag/pouch/Ziploc/whatever as a "boo-boo kit". Just the commonly needed items in an easy to grab place such as a center console, seat pocket, etc. These are just the most commonly needed things like band-aids, Tums, ibuprofen, a piece of moleskin, a pair of tweezers- whatever you have needed or wanted in the past. In addition to being easy to grab for small things it keeps you from raiding your main kit for those supplies. Bonus tip- a small tube of the pain relieving version of your choice of antibiotic ointment is nice for things like hangnails but also helps quiet crying kids.

ETA- Yes, I know I was asking about pouches for a Pelican box last year, that was for a specific purpose- some of the guys I knew who were part of the balloon chase crews were looking for options.

I will throw in my 2 cents. the hard cases will take a lot of space, are heavy and expensive. For most uses overkill, depending on how and what you will use. Don't bring stuff you don't know how to, or are not comfortable using. Things that serve more than one purpose are great with a few exceptions. ( for example a tourniquet, yes you can improvise one- but i promise it wont be as reliable and effective as a CAT. not to mention it does not take up much space)

I built my own sourcing from some varying mfgrs and companies. It did take a lot of time, and my kit is extensive. Adventure medical kits for example they make a good product, and its convenient to order one already put together, and usually cheaper for most general uses kits. I went with their suture and dental kits when building mine for example. > X2 The being comfortable, in the use, and knowing what you have and how to use it can not be stressed or stated enough. <* You don't want to be trying to use or need something the first time and have never opened your kit before.

All that being said I have a modular kit, ( ill post pics after work) in a backpack type bag. Once opened it has labeled pouches( Vitals, Bleeding,hemorrhage, ortho,environmental, meds,etc). It allows me to grab one of the pouches and take just it, or the entire kit. Or the pouches can be placed into a hard case, for rafting, strapping to a mule,roof rack, etc. Important expensive instruments, my ENT kit, stethoscope,BP cuff, SPO2 monitor are in hard cases. Lighter and great protection.

Also Ziplock bags are underrated for this type of use, cheap, clear, waterproof. And easy to build or change as needed. It can be really easy to go overboard, or completely ignore this( first aid kits) as a need. If you have the time, and want to build your own it can be cheaper-its not convenient though.

Just my thoughts, Happy Trails!

I agree with both of you that training is a necessity (I am looking into wilderness EMT training, as I have no legitimate medical training). I also agree that people over pack (myself definitely included), so I do actually have a small basic kit in the car that I take when hiking. My reasoning for buying a higher end kit was that I would rather have it and not need to use it, than not have it and need to use it. As a side note, another reason I was leaning towards a hard case was due to the waterproofing and floating properties. Although I am not planning on encountering a dangerous level of water, we have been getting some flash flooding recently.

@Pacific Northwest yetti, can you post info/pictures of your modular kit?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Get a soft bag. If you get a hard case you pack things on top of it, a soft bag will always be on top of your gear and more readily accessible.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Here are a few pics, I took at work today. I have pelican cases they fit into if needed, and a few little cases for the pouches. ( although not currently with me)
The pouches and bags have a velcro back so that they stick in there. The perimeter of the bag is lined with sam splints for rigidity, and a great place to store them. The back panel houses a OB kit. On the side is a glove dispenser, and The other has a leg splint. the bag is made by a company North American Rescue, its the same design that has been carried into many a combat zone. They make a great product, expensive though. On that note, ebay, surplus stores are a great resource.

Like i said this is a massive kit, is close to 45ibs. However it can be scaled down, and up as needed. Most people wont need something so extensive. I work as a freelance AEMT, firefighter,Remote medic, MCPIC, as well as QRT for my local dept. The bag is currently set up for me to go into a house for a 911 call, pt and have everything I need. I have other pouches, bags, i add or remove as needed. The pouches can be grabbed and thrown into a backpack, thrown to another person if needed.

The only thing I was trying to show, is that modular is a great way to go, no mater the size.

Also, I recomend training. And can recommend institutions that perform top notch instruction. On that level though, its important to know that legally if you make the step to a EMT/Paramedic( anything that requires state and national licensure to practice) the good samaritan law will no longer protect you, and once you make contact with a PT, you are legally bound to that PT until someone of equal or higher medical licensure can take your place. Just something to think about if you want to go above the Wilderness first aid, or wfr classes.

Happy Trails

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
I been an EMT since 1975 both with the FD and EMS, and I have carried some type of kit or 'Jump Kit' as we called them since then in my POV. I have also developed and built many different kits for specialized uses, be it boo-boo treatment to large scale disasters.

Here are some pro's and con's I have learned over the years.

Soft Bags

• Kits that are used on a regular basis, such as on an ambulance or rescue squad are fine using a soft bag configuration. Items are swapped out on a regular basis, organized, and inspected.
  • They are easy to carry.
  • They are lightweight.
  • They come in a lot of sizes and shapes.
  • Most are not water or mud proof.
  • Depending on the amount of use, they tend to wear out quickly. Most will seriously degrade if left in a vehicle exposed to sunlight.
  • Items packaged in paper, such as bandages, gloves, etc. tend to get crushed, come apart, tear, or disintegrate if left sitting in the bottom of the bag too long.
  • Items such as IV's, Saline, D5W, etc. are subject to puncture and leaking unless packed in the center of the bag.
  • Having items in a bunch of different compartments helps prevent 'dumping' the kit if it's dropped or kicked while the main compartment is open.
  • Some soft bags will allow you to carry an O2 setup and cylinder in the bottom of the bag, in a compartment built especially for that.

Hard Case

• These kits are better for long term storage. Items placed in these cases tend to survive much longer, and stay in place if it has a decent organization system. If this is a kit for a boat, then a hard case is an absolute must.
  • They are much heaver and harder to carry, although wheel kits are available for the larger ones if the terrain will permit their use.
  • They come in a lot of sizes and shapes.
  • Most are completely water and mud proof, such as the Pelican cases. If not, then I wouldn't buy it.
  • They last forever with moderate use.
  • Items packaged in paper, such as bandages, gloves, etc. stay in very good shape if packed correctly.
  • Items such as IV's, Saline, D5W, etc. are much better protected if packed correctly.
  • Most of the hard kits I have used allowed me to see everything all at once. However, if the kit is open and sitting on the ground, such as at a vehicle accident, and someone kicks it, you could loose everything out of it. Which is why you close it back every time you get something out of it in that kind of scenario.

In the end the choice is yours, but I would just look at how the kit is going to be used most of the time.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Pacific Northwest yetti,

I agree, modular is the way to go and I'm in the process of putting a kit together now based on that principle.

I would love to see the pictures of your kit, but when I click on a link, I get a warning stating it's an unauthorized attachment. :confused:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Pacific Northwest yetti,

I agree, modular is the way to go and I'm in the process of putting a kit together now based on that principle.

I would love to see the pictures of your kit, but when I click on a link, I get a warning stating it's an unauthorized attachment. :confused:

Weird, let me try re uploading them. I'm not sure why they aren't showing up. I used the upload tool on the post box. Good job and the pro and con list of hard vs/soft

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke