Tunoma's 2005 Tundra - DC Build

Kpack

Adventurer
So did everything line up when you mounted the bumper? Mine was dead on....it was perfect. I've heard good things about Superwinch, and so far I've been pleased with mine though I haven't needed to use it for actual recovery yet so I really haven't tested it. Moving the control box is easy, but you'll need to make new large gauge wires. Viperdriver showed me his method, and that's what I did with mine. Pics are in my thread.

What lights did you go with? Look like Baja Design.

Any plans to widen the stance a bit on the front?

Tunoma0507

I really like that ARB style. If I did it again I would go that route instead of full hoops. Looking good!

If you go Superwinch, you'll have to relocate the control box. If you look at Kpacks thread, you can see how he did it. I also posted some pictures on how I did mine.

Looking good! Will look even better with some clean headlights ;]

I have you covered on the headlights ;)
headlights.jpg

So did everything line up when you mounted the bumper? Mine was dead on....it was perfect. I've heard good things about Superwinch, and so far I've been pleased with mine though I haven't needed to use it for actual recovery yet so I really haven't tested it. Moving the control box is easy, but you'll need to make new large gauge wires. Viperdriver showed me his method, and that's what I did with mine. Pics are in my thread.

What lights did you go with? Look like Baja Design.

Any plans to widen the stance a bit on the front?

The bumper mounted up perfectly with no issue. The only hard part was lifting the bumper and lining up the holes with the studs

For the winch I ended up going with a Smittybilt XRC rated for 9500lb. I was offered a steal price that I could not pass up on, so it will do for now. However, I am having trouble mounting the control box for it as well, so hopefully your thread will shed some light.

As for the lights they are just some Rigid Industries I had laying around.

I do plan on widening the stance I am on the fence at the moment on whether I should go with a 16x8 or a 17x9 wheel with atleast a 4in backspacing. I know for sure I will be moving up to 285 size tire, but the tires I have currently are relatively new.

Tunoma0507

Yesterday, I got the Kings and Camburgs installed on the passenger side. Now time to get started on the driver side.

install1.jpg

Kpack

Adventurer
Nice! I'm curious as to how you like the feel of the Kings. I have Icon's and the ride isn't overly stiff, but I wouldn't mind a bit more softness.

Tunoma0507

Nice! I'm curious as to how you like the feel of the Kings. I have Icon's and the ride isn't overly stiff, but I wouldn't mind a bit more softness.

They are soft for what little bit I have driven around, but I ran out of time to adjust them. However, I have my sway bar removed so fingers crossed the ride doesn't stiffen up too much when I adjust them.

Kpack

Adventurer
He probably took that picture before he finished installing. Top hat screw isn't all the way on either.

Great point. What’s the length of the coil and weight number? My gen1 Donahoe are cranked down significantly more which may be helping with the stiffness of my ride.

Tunoma0507

Please tell me you put the nut on the bottom of your new a arms for both sides...

Yes, I took the picture as I was finishing up.

Great point. What's the length of the coil and weight number? My gen1 Donahoe are cranked down significantly more which may be helping with the stiffness of my ride.

The coil length is 14in. and the weight is 700lbs. I might end up adjusting mine slightly.

Last edited:

Kpack

Adventurer
I have the 14in 700lbs King springs on mine and have them cranked down to 1.25 inches of thread showing. I can go up to 1.5" I believe. That gives me about 22.5-22.75" from center hub to lower border of the fender. When I have them rebuilt I plan to have the shop crank it down a bit more to raise the front just a bit. Still a little too much rake for my taste.

Tunoma0507

I have the 14in 700lbs King springs on mine and have them cranked down to 1.25 inches of thread showing. I can go up to 1.5" I believe. That gives me about 22.5-22.75" from center hub to lower border of the fender. When I have them rebuilt I plan to have the shop crank it down a bit more to raise the front just a bit. Still a little too much rake for my taste.

I am more than likely going to do the same. I am not a fan of the rake either.

Tunoma0507

Decided I am going to build my own relay box, so I can hook up some accessories. Any of you guys have any good recommendations. I found a good write-up over on TacomaWorld, but thought about posting here first to see what you guys were running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke