Tunoma's 2005 Tundra - DC Build

trailscape

Explorer
Always good to see the 1st gen crowd growing.

Also, I've been waiting for someone to buy those ditch brackets.. I really want a pair myself.

trailscape

Explorer
I think I used the same phone setup for a while, but I swapped out the X-Mount for the universal one. I felt like that one was a pain.

Tunoma0507

Always good to see the 1st gen crowd growing.

Also, I've been waiting for someone to buy those ditch brackets.. I really want a pair myself.

I think I used the same phone setup for a while, but I swapped out the X-Mount for the universal one. I felt like that one was a pain.

I really like ditch light brackets. I can tell they are for good quality for the price. I like the x-mount so far but only time will tell. I recently started reading through your build and I have to say that is a nice rig you have there!

Tunoma0507

The Brute Force Fab bumper finally came in! Next, is the powdercoating and mounting the fog lights and winch up. I also noticed that the bumper is a lot heavier than I expected, I believe with the bumper and winch on that puts me almost at 200lbs up front. I am currently running Bilstein 5100s w/ OME 887 coils, would this be able to hold the weight of the bumper and winch or do I need to get a set of 886 coils?

pic.jpg

Kpack

Adventurer
Yay for Brute Force Fab bumpers! The build quality is excellent as you've probably noticed.

I don't have an answer for you regarding your specific coils, but I'd think that the heavier coils will probably be better. I don't have the side hoops on my bumper, and I'm somewhere close to 180-200lbs with my set up (bumper, winch). Your's is probably heavier. I'm running 700lbs coils and they hold it up fine.

Tunoma0507

Yay for Brute Force Fab bumpers! The build quality is excellent as you've probably noticed.

I don't have an answer for you regarding your specific coils, but I'd think that the heavier coils will probably be better. I don't have the side hoops on my bumper, and I'm somewhere close to 180-200lbs with my set up (bumper, winch). Your's is probably heavier. I'm running 700lbs coils and they hold it up fine.

I was shocked at the quality when I went to pick it up Billy did a fantastic job. In regards, to my coils I will more than likely play it safe and order some extended travel kings with 700lb coils when I get my tax return back.

Tunoma0507

The camburg's finally came in and bumper is finished at the powdercoater, picking it up Friday. Now just waiting impatiently for the Kings.

unnamed.jpg

Kpack

Adventurer
I love my Camburg arms. They've never made any noise at all. Hopefully your stock hardware isn't as rusted as mine was.....getting all my old suspension out was a nightmare.

Tunoma0507

I love my Camburg arms. They've never made any noise at all. Hopefully your stock hardware isn't as rusted as mine was.....getting all my old suspension out was a nightmare.

There is a little bit of rust, but I am dreading pressing the upper ball joints out of the spindle the most. I heard that it can sometimes be a PITA.

Kpack

Adventurer
There is a little bit of rust, but I am dreading pressing the upper ball joints out of the spindle the most. I heard that it can sometimes be a PITA.

It is. If I were to do it over again I would've bought the Total Chaos ball joint press tools instead of using the kit from Autozone. They would've made it much easier. Also, I had to use a cheater bar to get the ball joints out. Getting the Camburg ones in wasn't too bad though.

Tunoma0507

It is. If I were to do it over again I would've bought the Total Chaos ball joint press tools instead of using the kit from Autozone. They would've made it much easier. Also, I had to use a cheater bar to get the ball joints out. Getting the Camburg ones in wasn't too bad though.

Appreciate the information I will have to look into the Total Chaos ball joint press tools. Hopefully, it won't be as bad as I am expecting it to be.

Tunoma0507

Took some time this past weekend to get the bumper installed and ordered some new headlamps for a possible retrofit. I will probably be getting a Superwinch to install was well soon. I am hoping to have most of the mods done before a trip in March.

bumper1.jpg

viperdriver

Observer
I really like that ARB style. If I did it again I would go that route instead of full hoops. Looking good!

If you go Superwinch, you'll have to relocate the control box. If you look at Kpacks thread, you can see how he did it. I also posted some pictures on how I did mine.

Looking good! Will look even better with some clean headlights ;]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne