Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two-time LR owner seeks third round of torture. What should I get?

Spend a little more time and find a D1 with desiel conversion! Really not that hard to find at this point, I know several folks that have them. Make sure it was a quality job and you'll have a special truck

Range Rover Classic
    1993 Range Rover Classic: 6.2 GM Diesel, 700R4, NP241D, 4" Lift, Bilstien Shocks, 16" Wheels, 33" BFG AT, Superwinch 9.5K Winch,
    "The most unreliable car in the world is now the most reliable car in the world."-Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by spikemd View Post
    Swap out the airbags and the LR3 is awesome on the trail with minimal mods and tons of cargo.
    Do they make a coil conversion kit for the LR3? If so, who makes it? Price? Thanks!

I remember when - I think it was Nathan Woods who had it - there was ONE LR3 in the US with coils. IIRC, he called it The Storm Trooper.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmd View Post
    Do they make a coil conversion kit for the LR3? If so, who makes it? Price? Thanks!

I remember when - I think it was Nathan Woods who had it - there was ONE LR3 in the US with coils. IIRC, he called it The Storm Trooper.
    They do make a coil conversion for the truck; check out my build thread, mine among many has been convereted (its buried deep in there though, so admittedly you may want to look on NAS-ROW for the reader's digest version of my experience).
    Atlantic British, among others, sells the kits that range from stock height to +2 either with OME MD or HD springs (depending on kit).
    Price varies based off which one you get. (http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/L319SRK-A)

I'll leave it at that lest we slide too far off the D1 centric nature of the OP's question.
    r-
    R
    2006 D3 "Saqr"
    1996 D1 5 speed "Coyote"
    1954 S1 "Riley"
    Twin Mountain Off Road

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
    Beautiful truck DailyJeep, love that color!

In terms of the ZF vice R380 (auto, manual trans respectively) the ZF is a very robust unit-& has the benefit of allowing the driver to concentrate on other aspects while wheeling, or being annoying in traffic. The R380 is less robust, true, but also maximizes pulling power out of the 4.0 and tends to bring a lot more smile to the drive. They are also a lot rarer.

Just my $.02 fm having had both.
    R-
    Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the compliment! I exhausted your Coyote build thread before pulling the trigger on it... so thanks?!!?

I will echo that the manual adds a lot of satisfaction to daily driving. These things are wildly underpowered and I can't imagine slugging around town with the slushbox.

It'll be my first off-road manual vehicle so I'm eager to get out and see how I feel about it then... I wanted to learn something new.
    - John
    97 Land Rover D1
    00 XJ
    Past: 12 JKUR - 99 XJ - 00 XJ "Henry"

Curious. If you think Rovers are torture why do you want one?

I have been off roading for 30 years in Toyotas, Mogs, Pinzgures and now Land Rovers. '07 LR3 is the most comfortable and enjoyable vehicle I have owned and without converting anything but to replace a few worn out items with only stock parts, it keeps going. Good on and off road. I don't rock crawl, Oh yeah, and it has a roof.

I do like the look of the earlier boxy shape of the LR but I have found this LR3 works for me and that is why I would recommend one. If you like to tinker and are able to fix things in the middle of nowhere, sort of on the fly, then I would think that almost any vehicle would work.

Happy trails

Quote Originally Posted by getlost4x4 View Post
    Range Rover Classic
    Yeah, but you DEFINE perseverance with all you've done. (And yes I dream of having the time to do all you have done to yours.)

I'll throw a monkey to the works (with one major caveat) and get lit up: I say D2. Here's the caveat: you need A LOT of patience, and A LOT of time to work on it. The electrics are junk, the engine is iffy, the cooling system is pathetic. But to drive one is really fun. And they just look so cool.

It is more comfy and dare I say, sophisticated, than the D1, parts are all over the place and easy to get either from other's parts cars or on forums or at yards (all of this is why you need a A LOT of time) and has a decent bit more power and a lot more space.

If you don't have time or patience to deal with always having something to mess with, then I'd get a well looked after LR3. If you want a mix of LR3 newness and Disco 1 coolness, be one of the masochists and get a D2.

I'd say a Dii is all the bad sides of a D1 (some worse when you think heads and thin frames) with little of the upsides!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 D3 "Saqr"
    1996 D1 5 speed "Coyote"
    1954 S1 "Riley"
    Twin Mountain Off Road

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmd View Post

There are a couple of coil conversions available, but I wouldn't jump to make the switch so fast with the LR3/4 as with past Rovers. Perfect? No, but far more flexible than coils and FAR more reliable than older RRC or P38 airbags!
    Don
    NCLR BoD
    '07 LR3, mods=all
    '96 D1 'roadster', crawler
    '88 RRC 4.2
    '95 RRC 3.9, 3" lift, 33s, yada yada...
    '98 D1, spare

D1 SD (non-sunroof basic model) is the best next to a Defender.... My 2 cents
    LR3 is great but BIG off road.....but..

if you want crazy, i'd sell it.. prob the most built LR3 in the US right now (F/R ARB lockers, SE, totally armored, Warn 10-s, F/R bumpers, on Air, baja rack, no dents, maintenance all done, etc..on DD duty currently)

My next truck will not be a LR.. (i have 3 currently).. my first love is the 90
    95' D90
    Insanity
    07' LR3 SE
    12' RR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast