Two-time LR owner seeks third round of torture. What should I get?

krick3tt

Adventurer
Curious. If you think Rovers are torture why do you want one?

I have been off roading for 30 years in Toyotas, Mogs, Pinzgures and now Land Rovers. '07 LR3 is the most comfortable and enjoyable vehicle I have owned and without converting anything but to replace a few worn out items with only stock parts, it keeps going. Good on and off road. I don't rock crawl, Oh yeah, and it has a roof.

I do like the look of the earlier boxy shape of the LR but I have found this LR3 works for me and that is why I would recommend one. If you like to tinker and are able to fix things in the middle of nowhere, sort of on the fly, then I would think that almost any vehicle would work.

Happy trails

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Range Rover Classic

Yeah, but you DEFINE perseverance with all you've done. (And yes I dream of having the time to do all you have done to yours.)

I'll throw a monkey to the works (with one major caveat) and get lit up: I say D2. Here's the caveat: you need A LOT of patience, and A LOT of time to work on it. The electrics are junk, the engine is iffy, the cooling system is pathetic. But to drive one is really fun. And they just look so cool.

It is more comfy and dare I say, sophisticated, than the D1, parts are all over the place and easy to get either from other's parts cars or on forums or at yards (all of this is why you need a A LOT of time) and has a decent bit more power and a lot more space.

If you don't have time or patience to deal with always having something to mess with, then I'd get a well looked after LR3. If you want a mix of LR3 newness and Disco 1 coolness, be one of the masochists and get a D2.

Ray_G

Explorer
I'd say a Dii is all the bad sides of a D1 (some worse when you think heads and thin frames) with little of the upsides!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelatore

Explorer
Do they make a coil conversion kit for the LR3? If so, who makes it? Price? Thanks!

I remember when - I think it was Nathan Woods who had it - there was ONE LR3 in the US with coils. IIRC, he called it The Storm Trooper.

There are a couple of coil conversions available, but I wouldn't jump to make the switch so fast with the LR3/4 as with past Rovers. Perfect? No, but far more flexible than coils and FAR more reliable than older RRC or P38 airbags!

rlynch356

Defyota
D1 SD (non-sunroof basic model) is the best next to a Defender.... My 2 cents
LR3 is great but BIG off road.....but..

if you want crazy, i'd sell it.. prob the most built LR3 in the US right now (F/R ARB lockers, SE, totally armored, Warn 10-s, F/R bumpers, on Air, baja rack, no dents, maintenance all done, etc..on DD duty currently)

My next truck will not be a LR.. (i have 3 currently).. my first love is the 90

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
They do make a coil conversion for the truck; check out my build thread, mine among many has been convereted (its buried deep in there though, so admittedly you may want to look on NAS-ROW for the reader's digest version of my experience).
Atlantic British, among others, sells the kits that range from stock height to +2 either with OME MD or HD springs (depending on kit).
Price varies based off which one you get. (http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/L319SRK-A)

I'll leave it at that lest we slide too far off the D1 centric nature of the OP's question.
r-
R
Thanks Ray!

There are a couple of coil conversions available, but I wouldn't jump to make the switch so fast with the LR3/4 as with past Rovers. Perfect? No, but far more flexible than coils and FAR more reliable than older RRC or P38 airbags!
Don - have our paths crossed at some point? I was one of the founding board members of the NCLR. Left the club a few years back.

zelatore

Explorer
stevenmd - maybe? I've been on the BoD the last couple years. Joined about 4(?) years ago. I'm (too) active on the club forum under Dhappel. I'm also in the 916 area, though south in Walnut Grove.

I don't know a lot of the original membership who became less active in recent years.

FWIW, a few of the Sac area guys are probably going to Prairie City Friday for a little play time and to try out some new mods. I'll probably have the D1 out if I can get back up here earlier enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles