Ignition/alternator warning light on when key is out

James86004

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

In 2014 I installed a dual battery system into our 1992 Range Rover using a Blue Sea 7611 ACR. The PO converted the alternator to a Delco 12SI, and the most recent component change was a new alternator 3 months ago.

About 2 weeks ago, an intermittent problem developed where when the engine was shut off and the key removed, the ignition warning light came on. It doesn't do it every time, but when it does, the starting battery will run down in 24 hours. It may or not be coincidence, but I put the starting battery on a 10A charger made for AGM batteries since the alternator doesn't fully charge them.

Any help appreciated. I made a wiring cartoon which is hopefully attached.

RR Dual Battery Wiring.jpg

DRLexpress

Observer
Don't know anything about Range Rovers but. Looking at your drawing you have a fuse in the hot wire from the alt to the charge relay. Also a 2 amp fuse on the "Aux batt priority..."wire up next to the key switch. Next time the lite is on with the key out try removing those two fuses. That will isolate vehicle system from your house power system and narrow down where to look for the problem. Intermittent electrical problems can be a pain.

Doug

James86004

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I thought about the ignition switch, but nothing else on that circuit is on. I will work on it again tonight and get back to you all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles