Head Gasket Fouling Plugs??

heraldj07

I am in the process of getting a 2002 3rd gen on Clist
He was asking 1000 but i was able to talk him down to $500
About the truck:
Im not sure if its a sport or not, it has the hood scoop.
320kmiles
From his post he said this..
"I think one of the head gaskets has gone back. It does run and drive however, there is a check engine light because the spark plug is fouling. I think there may be coolant going into the cylinder because the exhaust has a liquid coming back on the rear window"

Now i watched the 5 part video on youtube that walks you through the full tear down and replacement of the head/gasket.

Assuming.. and yeah i know what that makes you and me. but assuming the only problem is the gasket, i could have a running Runner for under 1000 dollars.

Even if a need the head, i have priced them around $350.

Im just weighing my options here. My family has been looking into a 4 runner for years now after watching Expedition Overland. Clay has a way of convincing you to get out there without really trying. lol

Wonderlust has caputred me and this is either a great deal or a huge waste of time....
Is it worth the gamble? Idk... I could prob part it out for more than $500

Help me make a decision here. Are there other things that could be wrong causing this coolant leak?

Obviously while im in there i will be doing the timing belt, idler bearings as needed, valve cover gaskets, and whatever else is defunct.

O yeah it has a sun roof to

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Its worth 500 bucks without an engine at all so yeah it's worth it. One thing to consider is the hassle factor though. Time is money, and a 320k truck is going to have downtime.

heraldj07

Assume i just go the reman full engine replacement route.
If upgrade the suspension (ome), lower balljoints what else usually goes around this millage? how long do these transmissions run before rebuild/replacemnt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles