2017+ F350 RTT Mounting Options

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Planning on ordering a 2018 F350 around the first of the year, and would like the option to mount my existing RTT to it. The RTT is currently on my M416, but I'd like the ability to move the RTT over to the truck, as we have plans for several 3-5k mile road trips that the M416 just isn't cut out for. I've seen where guys have just got a topper shell and mounted it on top of the topper, but man, that's up there, especially on these trucks. I've also seen (mostly for Tacomas) tube racks that you can mount the RTT to, but again they're pretty tall, and obviously won't fit an F350.

I'd like the top of my RTT to still sit below or even with the top of the cab of the truck. I know it will block most if not all of the rear view mirror, but I'm pretty used to my trailers/campers doing that anyway in my current F250. Am I going to be better off building something myself or is there an off-the-shelf option out there that will accomplish what I want? The RTT is the huge Mombasa from a while back, http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-8335

I would seriously look at a Front Runner Pick Up Truck Slimline II Load Bed Rack Kit (they make one specifically for the F-Series). Front Runner makes awesome stuff. The rack is easily removable if needed and they make a TON of accessories to mount to the rack if you ever remove your tent. They also make a super slick quick release RTT mount kit that makes disconnecting the RTT from the rack a breeze.

That would be my suggestion. Low profile and removable when you need to have full access to the truck bed.

Rack.jpg

RTT Rack.jpg

RTT.jpg

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
That does look like it would do exactly what I want it to. The quick release system is pretty sweet too. If I could adapt that to the mounting on my M416 it would make it even easier to move back and forth, as I do plan to use the RTT on both still. I could build something for quite a bit cheaper, but I don't know if it would have the functionality of this.

I assume the rack itself is pretty easy to remove as well? I do tow a gooseneck pretty regularly, so I would need to get the rack out of the way for that.

I could build something for quite a bit cheaper, but I don't know if it would have the functionality of this.

True... but if you want to scale it down and not go full blown rack, you can piece it out individually and make a two or three load bar system. FR sells pieces individually so you can modify or create your own system.

Load Bars.jpg

I assume the rack itself is pretty easy to remove as well? I do tow a gooseneck pretty regularly, so I would need to get the rack out of the way for that.

Absolutely. Thats the beauty of the design. It's literally loosen 8 bolts and it slides out.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I need to look into this as well as I was torn between the camper shell (which I love the idea of, but in reality creates more issues, durability being the biggest, and price is insane) and a Leitner or Wilco style rack. All three of those options put the RTT way the heck up there, these trucks are already insanely tall off of the lot, add in bigger tires and any amount of lift and you are 3-7"+ taller in no time at all making it very difficult to deploy and stow away the RTT.
My only concern with that Front Runner rack is that is appears to mount to the same area where I'd like to have the rails for a Bakflip, which would require me to remove the entire Bakflip system each time I wanted to employ the rack. I wish they could somehow work in conjunction with one another.

Theoretician

Adventurer
RCI Metalworks makes a half-height rack for RTTs for fords. Can't comment further, as I haven't ever seen one in person and I bought a Leitner before I knew about the RCI rack.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
RCI Metalworks makes a half-height rack for RTTs for fords. Can't comment further, as I haven't ever seen one in person and I bought a Leitner before I knew about the RCI rack.

They do but only for the mid-size Ranger and the F-150, nothing in the Superduty line.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
If RCI ever makes a Super Duty compatible one that'd be easy, I can just drive up there and get it. They're cheaper than the Front Runner, but also don't appear quite as versatile. And FWIW, Front Runner doesn't technically list their racks for the latest gen Super Duty either. It says 97-current on the rack, but if you enter in an actual 2017 Super Duty it says there are no racks available.

And FWIW, Front Runner doesn't technically list their racks for the latest gen Super Duty either. It says 97-current on the rack, but if you enter in an actual 2017 Super Duty it says there are no racks available.

I'm sure a simple phone call or email could verify fitment. Looking at Ford's spec's between the 17's and prior year(s) bed dimensions... they look to be pretty dang close. I would assume with the flexibility from the T-Slot designs that you could adjust accordingly.

*** I swear I don't work for these people....lol... I just like the designs and quality! :D:D ***

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
For sure, I haven't even ordered the truck yet, so this is all preliminary, but I'd imagine that they are pretty similar.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Why is "way up there" a bad thing? My work truck is 8.5 feet tall. Truck doesn't mind at all. Can the tent not handle being in the wind or something?

I was going to suggest a tall HD ladder rack so you can keep the bed space easy to access.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Lower center of gravity, lower wind drag, ease of access / climb, ease of underground parking access.

If you don't need to store tall things (like an ATV) in the bed, why put it up high? I too, mount my RTT flush with my roofline.

b9ev

Adventurer
I purchased a rack from Trail Tested for my Super Duty. I went with a 12" height to keep the Tepui tent I purchased from them low for clearance reasons. I have been out of town so I haven't installed but the parts look well made; if the width is off, it will be my fault as I measured. Also their customer service is top notch.

https://www.trailtestedmfg.com/product-page/nomad-bed-rack

Halligan

Adventurer
Thule makes an adjustable height rack for full size trucks. You can lower the rails to keep RTT low when using it. When the RTT is not on the truck you can raise the racks and use them as traditional truck racks.

Thule Xsporter 500XT is the model.

https://goo.gl/images/FVimsC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles