Potential Sprinter Purchase... What do I need to look for?

Ty_Deschaine

Hey guys,

I am looking at a pretty insane deal on a 2007 Sprinter 170" dually ext. mega roof. Has about 260,000 miles on it. All highway, used as a demo vehicle for the company I work for. What should I look for? What are these things weak points? I know I should expect the typical wear items. When do the DPF's need attention? Injector life? Transmission? Any info would be appreciated!

Thank you all in advance.
Tyler

bjm206

Adventurer
Tyler,

There are a fair number of issues with second gen NCV3 sprinters you should be aware of...your best bet is the Sprinter-Source forum.

Good luck

kcernest

Observer
I think you want an '06 or older. No issues with changing requirements for low sulfur fuel or the hassle of DEF. Other than that I'm curious to see if there are any responses because I'll be shopping for one too in about three months.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
260,000 miles is high for the v6. Not much life left there. Watch out for swirl valves and dpf issues. Lots of discussion on the sprinter source ncv3 forum. If I was going ncv3, I would go for the I4 engine. Much better engine, and the 7 speed auto is great.

Ty_Deschaine

They mis informed the mileage, it's actually 196k. It's such a good deal I can't pass it up. I drove it and it drove really well! Much nicer and quieter than my E350 7.3L. Shifted smooth without lags. Steering felt tight. Does sound like it needs ball joints. I'm planning on having it combed over by a local Sprinter mechanic. I'll let you know what they find, but it's looking like I'll be buying another van... ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbacus

Look for rust behind the body trim above the rocker panels. MB didn't do a very good job rust protecting the holes where the trim mounts.

Ty_Deschaine

Look for rust behind the body trim above the rocker panels. MB didn't do a very good job rust protecting the holes where the trim mounts.

Van is a west coast van and has been its entire life. No rust what so ever. Also it's been wrapped the past 150,000 miles so the paint should be preserved nicely.

"Potential Sprinter Purchase... What do I need to look for?"

A Transit

:D

Hahaha, my lady has a brand new Transit, I've got a E350 7.3L, but at $4000 I'm tempted to give this Sprinter a shot! I figure worse case I could sell it for a slight profiit as long as there isn't any thing major looming. 3 vans in our house hold is excessive, we know.... :smiley_drive:

86scotty

Cynic
Good luck Ty. I was hoping my joke wouldn’t piss you off. For that price I’d be tempted to go for it too. I love Sprinters, I’m just kind of afraid of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles