using campsite electrical hookups

jk6661

Observer
Simple question: does anyone know if state/national parks will let you use an electrical hookup for a couple of hours (free or for a fee) to charge something if you've rented a non-electrical campsite?

dlh62c

Explorer
I don't see why not. It's not really the park, but the on site camp host that you'll be dealing with.

Try the bathhouse, picnic pavilions, or even the park office.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
In my experience, if you are buying something in their gift shop or say you will drop a fiver in their donation kiosk they are usually pretty cool with you plugging in a tablet or a phone. As far as power, water, sewer at an actual site you might get lucky but I can't see it happening. Some states don't have power at their camp sites period, others like in Nc have recently raised prices on sites with 110 outlets or 30, 50 amp rv service etc. It's a business and they have to pay the power bill somehow.

robgendreau

Explorer
I'd say it's kinda down to whoever is occupying the serviced site. Might just ask somebody and say "hey, can I charge my phone in your trailer?" I've seen people sometimes leave phones charging in restrooms and in unoccupied sites, but you better have such a cheap phone no one wants to steal it.

jk6661

Observer
I probably should have been more specific: what I want to charge is a deep-cycle battery for a couple of hours using a fast (26 amp) charger. I don't want to leave the battery and charger on the ground next to an outlet unattended, so that means parking my car next to an outlet so I can lock the battery and charger inside with just the power cord plugged in outside.

Last edited:

XJINTX

Explorer
I have been out and about and use a lot of primitive camping in my FWC. As mentioned a generator solves the electrical issue but... My solar system works fine if in nice sunny weather but can get low if not. When out of water I have always asked a nice camper at site with water and tent camping if I can hookup and fill my water tank. Never been refused... meet and make a new friend and I move on. I imagine they would not mind hitting electrical a bit either but not sure why I'd need to. There are many solar options for phones and such and my inverter, used in truck or camper, will power the laptop.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I probably should have been more specific: what I want to charge is a deep-cycle battery for a couple of hours using a fast (26 amp) charger. I don't want to leave the battery and charger on the ground next to an outlet unattended, so that means parking my car next to an outlet so I can lock the battery and charger inside with just the power cord plugged in outside.

Probably wouldn't hurt to be even more specific if you want a solution. The answer to your original question is NO, don't go around expecting to get power from places that don't offer it. Who cares if they will or won't allow you to use on outlet, you don't know for sure it's allowed, assume it's not.

Your question is kinda the opposite of the general attitude around here of being mostly self sufficient. From that angle, your best option would be to have a way to charge your battery using your own equipment and if utility power is available to you then you can take advantage of it to top everything off. So I'm not saying don't plug in if you can find a way, I'm saying don't be in a place where you are screwed if you can't find a plug in.

It's obviously important to you that you have battery power available, but not important enough to look for a way to charge it without hoping for a haphazard chance that you find someone willing to let you use an outlet?

One idea is your vehicle, assuming you drive at least some of the time you are camping. Perhaps you can set up a system to charge off the vehicle while you drive around. Despite what some might say this does not necessarily have to be expensive.

Someone mentioned a generator, I understand there are some quite small ones available that might do just fine for charging a battery once a day.

Someone mentioned solar already. A little less predictable in my opinion in the event you get a lot of cloud cover for more than one day in a row, but something to think on.

There are some really smart folks on here, you tell them what size battery and what you have to work with, I bet they will suggest some way you can charge it yourself without having to beg for an outlet somewhere.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If you're already camping there, why not just pony up for an electrical site if you need power? The cost difference is maybe $10 or so.
In New Mexico you can camp at state parks with electrical outlets for $14/night. Charge your battery up all night and you'll be good to go for several days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles