Top 3 things you hate about your LR3 and Top 3 things you like

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Weak as in catastrophic failure or weak as in bearing wear out early? I'm just curious if people are seeing diff failures off road or if you are just talking about the noise from diffs.

Never seen one fail. Seems the people complaining are usually convinced it WILL fail because of the noisy ones. Drove a "bad" one 30,000 miles.

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
Like:
1. Comfortable
2. Technical capability; offroad, payload and towing capacity
3. Everything else; It looks cool and it is cool.

Dislike:
1. Mechanical Failures: $$$ Before 60k miles, needed a drivers side window (broken clip), a locking rear differential replaced, all front control arm bushings replaced and still has an occasional suspension fault that lowers it to the bump stops (thank goodness for the GAP tool).
2. Range; conservatively 250 miles/tank.
3. I do not have a 3....

chris snell

Adventurer
You should start a thread about how EE or Discoweb hurt your feelings.

He should. Those threads, the Excrement Exchange blogs, the complaints to my hosting provider... I love them all. Every time I read one, I'm that much more convinced that I'm doing the right thing by providing a place where people can call a spade a spade without fear of kumbaya moderators removing it. The world needs less vapid, phony backslapping and more honesty.

Nathan, Corey, Hilldweller, and all of the rest of you whining man-children: bring it on!

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
Never seen one fail. Seems the people complaining are usually convinced it WILL fail because of the noisy ones. Drove a "bad" one 30,000 miles.

I've seen one fail, but it had 200K+ miles on it. I'm sure it was making noise for at least 150k of those.

still has an occasional suspension fault that lowers it to the bump stops (thank goodness for the GAP tool).

Why don't you start a thread to diagnose the problem? Clearing the codes isn't the solution.

A.J.M

Explorer
Aftermarket blue tooth can be done.
Personally, I’m fitting a LR4 Bluetooth one because it will go with the nearly new heated leather flappy paddle LR4 wheel I’ve got for it. Plus all wiring and control modules to make it work. Nice factory install to keep it neat.

My 3 had the suspension fault, would drop to stops, sometimes it would come back up, other times, I had to turn it off and on again.
Codes were generic “cross axel articulation fault” which meant bugger all.
It took an off road day and lots of movement in the suspension to get the cause. A faulty front left height sensor.
Fitted a genuine new one for £23. Recalibrated the full suspension with my IID tool and it’s covered over 12,000 miles trouble free.

I think 12 years out a sensor that’s lived in the front left wheel arch and done over 150+ miles to be fair enough. Other 3 are working fine so I’ve left them.

zelatore

Explorer
Cross axle articulation fault means you need to do a proper re-cal on the suspension. It sounds like you've already done that, so with any luck you've got it sorted.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Dislikes
The crap dash cracking, the underpowered motor, it brakes all the time, can't take the roof off.
Looks sharp on 32" tires, big payload, and crash it into anything other that a big rig and you will win.

Last edited:

Eric K

Observer
driving feel and position
It's just freaking cool

Dislikes (ignoring things so horrible that I don't bother with like the built in navigation and blue tooth):
The horn, can't believe nobody has mentioned that but when somebody is about to run into me, I hate that I have to find two buttons and not just slam my hand into the middle of the steering wheel
upkeep cost
that I probably can't keep it forever

kissmywassp

Observer
2. Road manners far exceeding anything else with almost 33 in. Mud tires
3. Makes me smile every time I drive it. (If nothings broken)

Dislikes:
1. 9-10 MPG around town
2. Random things break that seem otherwise simple (better than major issues I suppose)
3. Somewhat limited in upgrades in comparison to other platforms (not just Offroad, but engine etc..)

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Late to this party but...

- Interior space + variety of seating options as we routinely get use of the 3rd row.
- Maneuverability + sight lines - for being so big, it is quite easy to drive/park on busy and tight city streets.
- Versatility. The thing simply wears so many different hats for us as our main family car.

Dislikes:
- MPG's. Buzz, your girlfriend, woof!
- Random things, that don't work right/break.
- Cost of aftermarket mods

With all of that said, this is my first 4wd and Land Rover. It certainly won't be the last.

LR Max

Local Oaf
After owning mine for three weeks:

-Its a darn good car out of the box. Planning on doing a lot without having to do a bunch of crazy stuff to it.
-Fairly easy to work on. I've already had the trim out of the passenger footwell. Not that bad. Underneath isn't too bad either. I like the service position of the hood.
-Drives like a dream

Dislikes:
-The fuel consumption. Then again, I'm coming from an economy hatch...
-Weak rear diff...I'll need to do something with mine before too long
-The radio/bluetooth situation. However I've been researching and I think a double DIN touch screen would be a solid replacement. Looks like its been done and there are parts out there so that is huge. Despite people going on and on about CANBUS integration, I'm seeing shops successfully retrofit. That said, the aux port has been working ok-ish enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles