AT Habitat camping modifications

Rivers2run

Observer
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but thought I would post this here since it is AT Habitat specific. I made a screen for the rear of my Habitat and included a photo of it, its made with no seeum mesh and has a magnet closure. I secured it along the edges with heavy duty velcro and on the top is a tension rod. I made it a bit longer than the opening so I can just fold it on the pickup bed, and added a velcro patches to keep it in place. No seeum doesn't play nice with velcro it has a tendency to snag. I bught the heaviest no-seeum mesh I could find, it drapes nicely but the snagging is a bit of an issue .

We recently did the White Rim in Utah and White Pocket, and we were caught up in some heavy rainstorms, including hail. The overhang from the Habitat was not quite enough shelter so I puchased a nylon tarp and I attach it on with wood clamps I put the 5 clamps where the grommets are so the fabric stays in place very well. I have a pole on the end of the tarp that makes a comfortable and larger seating area and shelter. Holds well even in strong winds, simple fast set-up which I like.

I put in 2 eye blts into the side of my Habitat and I have a hanging table that is very stable, strong and doesn't blow away in the wind. I made a dish drainer/ utensil holder for the table. On the inside of the habitat I used a nut with a ring on to secure the eyebolts. Now I can hang stuff like coats on the inside, or a secure a storage sling for small items. I have a hanging eating utensil bag that I put on the eyebolts, and I can secure an overhead light on a bungee cord hooked to the 2 eyebolts.

I wish I could afford a Goose Gear set up but that is not in the budget. The rigid tool box are great for storage and they stack and lock together.

I would love to see other peoples mods and ideas, hope you will share them.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 96
  • table.jpg
    table.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 99
  • tarp.jpg
    tarp.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 83
  • clips.jpg
    clips.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 76

southpier

Expedition Leader
wow. lotta tent hangin' out there. does it flex or bounce? must put stress on the hinge & shell. are there legs which go underneath to ground? thanks

Rivers2run

Observer
It has 2 struts that attach to the truck they don't go to the ground. Hinges are built to handle the load. There is some movement but it doesn't bother me at all, some people don't like it and put a stabilizer jack under the hitch.

SBDuller

good ideas

Like the tarp and attachment idea, and the bug netting looks good.
I have a swing gate on rear bumper with a fold down table, the tarp would be perfect for precips and maybe work as a wind shield, the winds of death valley being mostly my challenge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles