Truck Camper vs Trailer

Apex-EP

Currently my family and I are camping with a RTT on our Tacoma. We eventually want to upgrade to either a pop-up truck camper or a teardrop style trailer. We want something that can be treated a little more as a complete package for camping (if that makes sense). Currently I am looking at either a Hiker trailer (likely a 5x8/5x9 off-road deluxe) or a Palomino SS 500 pop-up truck camper. The Hiker looks very promising but would require a bit of work after we bought it to make sure it had everything we want (such as water heater, solar, fridge, etc.). We would also get to keep our current RTT with it. But the down sides are we would be towing a trailer and it would still require a bit of setup when we reach camp as compared to a pop-up truck camper.

The SS 500 would require far less work after purchasing as it would come ready to go with water heater, shower, stove, sink, furnace, solar plug-in, etc. The only thing we would probably consider adding is an awning. My wife and I also really like the fact that you can stand upright in it. And the fact that we wouldn't be towing a trailer is a massive plus. The downsides are we would be pushing the Tacoma to the max payload once we loaded our gear and would need to upgrade the suspension (but I was already planning on doing this anyways) and it would not be quite as expandable once the kid(s) started getting bigger. Also, another big downside for the SS 500 is the lack of information. I have searched everywhere and have been unable to find any kind of testimonial or review (good or bad) from someone who has bought one. I don't know if its just that the SS 500 is too new or what, but I cannot find anything beyond youtube videos from RV dealers. We have one dealer here who had a SS 500 listed, we decided to go look at it but it had already sold. The dealer said they disappear from the lot as soon as they get in. So I don't think the lack of information is due to lack of sales. But it is still strange.

Anyways, I am looking for advice/experiences from other people here who have a pop-up truck camper or trailer and why you went with what you did. Also, before someone suggests it, I know about 4WC. I would love a 4WC! In fact a flatbed 4WC is my dream camper! But that still doesn't change the fact that their prices are simply astronomical, even when used.

NikonRon

Adventurer
I have a buddy who has a Palomino, I would steer clear of that idea. Four Wheel camper more durable, lighter and dependable. Ron

hemifoot

Observer
we looked at the palomino then the northstar.we went northstar .n/s bed sold it for us.we carry ours on a 2500 ram sbcc with 3500 suspension so weight isn't an issue.we use ours on average of 100 nights a year and all are off road to some degree and it's holding up fine.some will say the palomino won't hold up to offroad use.you may not get 30+years out of it like the higher end campers but i'm going to bet you'll outgrow it long before you wear it out.not sure what the resale is like for popup campers is like in your area,but i sold a 25 year old sun lite Eagle for the same price i paid for it 3 years after i bought it.

Apex-EP

we looked at the palomino then the northstar.we went northstar .n/s bed sold it for us.we carry ours on a 2500 ram sbcc with 3500 suspension so weight isn't an issue.we use ours on average of 100 nights a year and all are off road to some degree and it's holding up fine.some will say the palomino won't hold up to offroad use.you may not get 30+years out of it like the higher end campers but i'm going to bet you'll outgrow it long before you wear it out.not sure what the resale is like for popup campers is like in your area,but i sold a 25 year old sun lite Eagle for the same price i paid for it 3 years after i bought it.
We need something that will fit a short bed Tacoma, and so far the main two companies I have found that have options for this are 4WC and Palomino. I have seen some others in passing but they do not seem to be very common or readily available. And your 30+ years comment is kind of what I am thinking. If I could determine that I could get 7-8 years out of the camper with moderate off road use, then I would be sold. But the almost complete radio silence from anyone who has purchased one is what is holding me back. I kind of wonder if that means they are just average. Nothing special (like 4WC) but also not terrible.

NikonRon

Adventurer
Four Wheel campers are simply out of the question due to price, as I said at the bottom of my OP.

I saw that. Pretty sure the Palomino will way overload your Tacoma. Not saying that the Four Wheel camper won't do it also but it will be much lighter. Buy the shell unit and you can afford to build it like you want it and keep it light weight. Ron

downhill

Adventurer
There is no truck camper option suitable for a family, that the Tacoma can carry. It was just not meant to carry a payload. Trailers present a bit of a pain, but in my opinion, the only viable option.

ripperj

Explorer
I’m not sure what moderate off road means in your head, but keep this in mind - any camper in the back of any pickup raises the CG a lot. This is pretty obvious , but until you get your rig ( with camper) tilted even a little and have water sloshing around in tanks up high, you may not realize how much effect it has. Those same back and forth off camber situations put enormous forces on the tie downs ( I believe Palomino uses the standard jack bracket to frame ones)

The point of the post is moderate off-road with a camper in a small pickup is really going to be just fire roads and other decent two track stuff. The Palomino will probably serve you well enough. Any camper will try and shake it self apart even just on rough roads( the air bags and E tires that you will require make for rough going), it’s going to be part of the game.

In my mind you are better off wearing out the Palomino in even a few years of good times, rather than over thinking it and not getting anything.

A well built trailer might be the better choice, don’t know about the Hiker, I like truck campers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

ripperj

Explorer
I should have added this: I assume because you are looking at dealers that you are shopping New? I personally would by a used Northstar 600 before a new Palomino, but I didn’t research the fit. I have been in one and know they are for small trucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

XJINTX

Explorer
I actually do both. Have Superduty with FWC and pull a trailer behind my Jeep. I use an OZ tent instead of RTT as my BIG dog likes to travel with us and RTT does not work. That said I have practically never used the trailer and Jeep when wife travels with me now. She like the comforts of the FWC. It's a full size with a HAWK but still goes a lot of remote places. I've been on some very nice trails in places like Death Valley and national Forest's all over. Luckily (fingers crossed) nare an issue. The FWC is built solid and we have all the accessories with no breaks or issues to date. Nice to set the heater at maybe 60 degrees when going to sleep. Even with snow on top and COLD outside in the morning it's comfortable to crawl out of bed and fire up coffee pot on the stove. That said if young and like roughing it the trailer with on board water and electrical is great gear storage is nice. I still like roughing it and it's not as rough with the trailer. With a wife and children I think a TearDrop may be a bit cramped but others will chime in. I say go for it you can always trade up or down later. Just GREAT that you get the family out and about.

hemifoot

Observer
my first pop up was an 89 sunlite eagle that my wife told me not to get.no electric water pump ( until i installed one after the first year) no toilet ,just a porta potty,and no lights until i installed some remote control puck lights from costco.mounted it on my old f 150.we just wanted to see if we could get behind the pop up.high center of gravity? not even close.what i'm trying to say is get what you can afford and see if it's for you.northstar has a pic of one on a short box turd in their brochure/cataloge.i think it's a 600.and as an added bonus,it's a north/south bed,and you want that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles