Truma Combi/dual top + Calorifier hot water setup help

Wanted

Hey all,

After traveling around for the last 3 years on a motorcycle and then 4x4 Hilux, I am now in the planning phase of a 4x4 Sprinter buildoutt (kicking off in December), but still trying to figure out my water heating setup for kitchen and shower use. Can anyone help me out with exactly how to set this kind of system up? I don't have much experience with this kind of stuff but as with my bike, it was a great adventure on its own building it to my own spec

I'm looking at adding a huge 200L (50 gallon) water tank, as I want to spend days on end boondocking only filling up with water when required. I also want the ability to heat water when parked for a couple of days without the need of the engine running. However, as both the ideal diesel heaters (Truma D6 and Dual Top Evo) both have such small capacity for hot water, I want to circulate the heated water into a bigger 10-20L (4-6 gallon) calorifier, where it can heat enough water for 2 people to shower and also provide for the kitchen. I have never touched a calorifier so no idea how its exactly used.

I am guessing that water is pumped from the main water tank into the diesel heater via the cold water connection, as it warms it passes out of the hot water connection and into one of the cold water calorifier connections, it then flows out of one of the hot water calorifier connections, linking back up to the diesel heaters cold water connection? When a hot water faucet is opened, hot water comes out of the second hot water calorifier connection? This is a little confusing to me, I don't know if any additional pumps are required etc, any diagrams or something?

I have also heard that the calorifiers can also be hooked up to your engine through a heat exchanger or directly to the cooling system. When you drive it can heat up to near boiling, and then uses a mixing valve to mix with the cooler water direct into the hot water line to the shower/kitchen, thus only using a fraction of the really hot water. Can these systems be used all together, so that it's simply the diesel heater doing the work while parked for some days, and the engine waste heat doing the rest while driving? Any diagrams or anything?

Still not sure which of the Truma Combi D6E or the Webasto Dual Top Evo 8 diesel heater either, any advice? (I want the hot air from these also, hence these heaters)

Sorry if these were cringe-worthy questions, just seeking the advice of more experienced members

java

Expedition Leader
I do not know anything about the clorifiers, but the recovery time is slow on both so a tank is a good idea if more than 10L is desired.

A pump pumps from the water tank, though the water heater (and I assuming chlorifier), this has a pressure switch so that when a faucet is opened it kicks on automatically.

A thermostatic mixing valve is what your looking for to mix very hot and cold water to get desired temp water. They are great for maximizing hot water volume.

FWIW I ended up with a propane on demand hot water unit. So far it works great for endless showers, but I find it takes a few seconds (maybe up to 10?) to get hot water coming out.

S2DM

Adventurer
There are quite a few threads out there with good descriptions and diagrams. If you'd like more hot water than the dual top, you'll likely need to go the coolant heater route. You'll need a coolant heater like the espar d5 and a coolant loop which can be tied into your vehicle coolant loop, so you have hot water from the engine, or from the coolant heater when parked. It is important to note that there are two separate loops here, your coolant loop (essentially antifreeze) and your hot water tank/hot water loop. The water gets hot via heat exchangers, the espar never sees the actual water, it only heats the coolant which in turn heats the water.

The coolant loop is routed through

1) Hydronic Air Handler

http://www.suremarineservice.com/REAL-fan-heaters.aspx

This gives your camper heat from the coolant loop

2) Water Heater/Calorifier

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp...-gallon&path=-1|51|2234308|2234311&id=2357713

We've found 6 gallons is plenty for 2 people, and even 3, because all of the new water heaters have a built in thermostatic mixing valve, so the 180 degree water (6 gallons worth) is diluted with cold water to get the right temp. It gives you a much larger effective hot water tank.

All of these hot water heaters have a built in coolant loop attachment and most also have a 750-1500 watt coil so you can also get hot water from solar or shore power.

I like the integrated units (dual top etc) that do hot water and heating, but they aren't easy to trouble shoot, and if something goes wrong, you often have to replace the whole thing, or in the case of webasto, take it back to where you bought it. A hydronic loop based system offers you many more choices in terms of how you set things up. Might be slightly overkill in a sprinter depending on the size. That said, taking a long hot shower after a surf in baja is pretty damn priceless :)

-S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles