'93 E350, lwb, 4x4, IDI diesel, hi-top, 75k miles...$7900 OBO- SOLD

kcernest

Observer
Sold for 7k
Located in Bethlehem, PA
Year: 1993
Make/Model: Ford E350 lwb, Quigley
Engine: 7.3 IDI diesel, non-turbo, 75k-ish miles
Drivetrain: E40D trans, Dana 60 front diff, Dana 60 rear diff with LSD and 3.54 gears, (haven't looked at transfer case but can if requested)
Gets about 12 mpg basically no matter what.

I have owned this van for five years and have driven it from Texas to North Carolina, to Michigan, down to Florida, back to Oklahoma and then out to Pennsylvania with not a single problem on the road. My wife and I built this out into a camper that we lived in for seven months after I got out of the Army in 2013. Since then out trips with it have been few and far between so it's time to let go. I would not hesitate to drive it across country.

DISCLAMER
While I've done a ton of preventative maintenance on this rig and it starts, runs and drives dang near perfect, I'm going to just go ahead and list the problems so that they are out in the open and anybody can decide if they want to continue afterwards. I've bought cars from opposite coasts before and been disappointed and I do not want to do that to anybody here.

Body: I've taken pictures of the problem areas, there are no others than the drip rails on either side and that spot on the drivers rear fender. None of it is that bad but needs to be dealt with.
The paint is pretty bad as well, meaning not pretty. When I bought it, it was a full ambulance and I removed the graphics my any means necessary from the side and then rattle canned over it. The paint has been very durable but is not pretty.
Interior: Not bad but gutted. Cockpit is not all that pretty except for the seats, which are super comfy and in great shape. Has a usb/bluetooth only head-unit installed but the speakers are out (will come with the van, Infinity coaxials I think)
The real problem: The gauge cluster fuse keeps blowing. Apparently it's a thing with early 90's ford trucks with the E40D and the most likely culprit is the wiring on the shift lever that goes to the “overdrive off” switch on the end of it. Apparently the wiring in the loom breaks down and it shorts out with pressure on it from the column cover/shift boot. It's kind of covered in the forum post https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1262999-keep-blowing-fuse-17-a.html .Without knowing this was a thing I took the dash/column apart and then took the cluster out, no issues with the cluster. I put the cluster back in and then replaced the fuse to see if I had inadvertently fixed something and everything worked great! All the gauges/dummy lights/4wd light. I put in drive, reverse, 4Hi/4Lo and all the lights and gauges worked. So I put the rest of the dash/column together, turn the key....POP! I lost my mind haha!
Anyway, I really don't want to buy the part and take everything apart again, I don't have the time or patience to fix things anymore, as I have three other cars I'm trying to sell at the same time. If I receive no decent offers as-is then I will (or a conditional offer with deposit). I just value my time more than money lately.

The good: The truck runs like a top. Starts right up and is smooth. Gets decent gas mileage considering. 4WD works as it should. No leaks. No rust underneath other than slight patina, real clean.

Maintenance done within the last year/1000 miles:
Glow plugs (Motorcraft, I pulled out junky Autolites, no wonder they were dying)
Glow plug controller
FIPL (fuel injection pump lever, causes trans to shift weird, there's a TSB says change at 50k)
Fuel Filter
Oil filter/Oil change
Vacuum Pump
Brake Booster
Brake master cylinder (flushed system but could stand to be bled a bit more)

Additions/maintenance done when I bought it with 65k miles:
NAPA Coolant Filter (In line with where the old rear heat/AC unit was in the back, can buy SCA filter)
Serpentine belt
Water Pump
Renology 100 watt solar panel
Coleman Cub 8500btu A/C unit (ran off of a front hitch mounted Honda 2000 gen with no problems)
Full reflectix/pink board/spray foam insulation
285/75/16's – Firestone Destination, load range E
Bilstein HD shocks
New Spectra fuel tank modified to fit (original Quigley tank was delaminating, as usual)
Curt front hitch to hold custom generator box (gen box not included, it was cheap steel and rusted out)
All fluids flushed/replaced including diffs.

I'd really like to sell this to someone on Expo instead of a backwoods plumber or some other work truck scenario but I will have to sell it to whoever comes with a decent cash offer first. The only trade I'd be interested in is a sub 200k mile pre '07 sprinter van with no rust.

Shoot me a message here and we can exchange numbers, let's talk about this, my price is flexible and I'm just looking to get rid of stuff so don't be afraid to make me an offer. For the right price I can also include my National Luna Portable Power Pack (with AGM battery) and/or my Honda 2000 generator with 40hrs on it. Generator has only been used to run the A/C for the dog when we had to leave him in the van in Florida haha, spent $2k to keep the dog cool for 40 hours.

Last edited:

kcernest

Observer
URv0KIE.jpg
[/IMG]
FaNqWmI.jpg
[/IMG]
u9tu7F7.jpg

otHQTML.jpg

Last edited:

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
I picked up a 95 7.3 powerstroke ambulance 4x4 recently. This thing is cool and seems like a fair price. Im surprised it hasnt sold. I always thought the IDIs were cool. Good luck with sale

kcernest

Observer
SOLD for $7k. Thought I'd put this here for anyone doing some market research since this is such a niche vehicle.

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
SOLD for $7k. Thought I'd put this here for anyone doing some market research since this is such a niche vehicle.

I applaud your decision to post the sale price. For some reason most selling prices become state secrets after the vehicle sells which I never quite understood. I mean the for-sale price is never a secret, so why is the actual sold price such a big deal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online