Painless Performance Trail Rocker

evomaki

Observer
Guys,

I need to do some wiring on my gen 2.5 for auxiliary lights (front and rear), air compressor, eventually a fridge. I'd like to do the job right with an auxiliary fuse panel and relays. Painless Performance makes a cool gadget called the Trail Rocker that is an aux fuse panel and relays all in one. Looks nice. No more janky wiring and in-line fuses for me. Anyhow. I have some questions not so much about the wiring itself, but where is it best to locate this thing? These Montys are somewhat snug, which is great in terms of actually fitting on trail and doing what a 4x4 is supposed to do, but there isn't the room I had in my old F-250, for instance. All kind of room on fenders and firewall in that thing.

Where is it best to locate something like this? What have folks done? I could make some type of bracket and locate this near the passenger firewall near the ABS controller. Would be snug even there. What about inside the cab, is that a bad idea? This is not a daily driver and maybe passenger footwell somewhere? Maybe onto the back of the center console? Also, where is the best spot to get access through the firewall to run some wiring from in the cab to the engine compartment. Should i use an existing penetration or drill and grommet/gasket a new one? Anyhow, I welcome any advice in this area.

jaccox23

Adventurer
for location it's just up to you but as for passing wires through the firewall the best place I've found on our 2.5's is right behind the ABS is a large hole with wires already passing through. it comes into the cabin at the very top right of the passenger footwell.

evomaki

Observer
Thanks very much. This is good info. You made that look very tidy. Where did you wind up mounting various relays for lights etc.? Closer to the load, in the engine compartment? Did you run the power wiring back out the same route, under the fender. While the fender is off, I guess I'd better run all the under hood power wiring all back out and cap them if not presently in use.

jlocster

Explorer
Originally I had mounted the relays under the hood as can be seen in the picture. Also, I originally ran the power from the battery to the fuse box and power back out into the engine compartment through the same route as pictured. It worked fine. Like you mentioned, run a few extra circuits to the front while the fender is off in case you need them in the future. I've since made some changes and mounted all relays under the dash in the space where the left side dash mounted speaker used to be, with a house battery in the cargo area that powers lighting and accessories.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles