M101A1 to Expedition Trailer Conversion Bryan, TEXAS

Essayons

Well after lurking about trying to decide what route I'm going to go I decided on an Army trailer conversion. I have camped all my life and enjoy all aspects whether it be from ground tent camping from a car to backpacking over a period of days. I began after joining Boy Scouts and continue to this day. I've decided on an expedition type trailer after anguishing over the long set up/break times as well as the initial load up. I do enjoy ground tent camping, especially the cold winter climates where you have a wood stove inside the tent while it snows outside. But I live in south Texas, so most Winters are bearable in unheated tents. After all the design considerations and layouts, I've decided on the Drifta(Australia) layout for the M101A1. I intend to use a drawer system in a covered bed with a RTT & awning overhead. There are several great conversions of the M101A1/2 on this site and I will incorporate those ideas where I can. Here is the trailer as a start..Any advice you may have please chime in..View attachment 421721View attachment 421722T1.jpg

Last edited:

Essayons

Here's some more shots from a camera. I had more photos from my phone but the images were being flipped. These are some initial photos. I know what my end state is going to be, so currently I'm planning the trailer bed drawer arrangement/water tank, etc before I start disassembly and work on the frame.

Attachments

• DSCN1101.jpg
    DSCN1101.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN1102.jpg
    DSCN1102.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN1103.jpg
    DSCN1103.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 70

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Good looking starting point! My A2 has stalled due to some other (good) things going on, but they are fun projects. I do have a temporary RTT platform that looks bad, although it works good. I have started on my collapsible rack, but a long way to go.

Good luck with it. Keep posting so we can steal your ideas...lol.

smd3

ARe you sure that's an A1? It's had some updates if that's the case, that looks like an A2 axle. The A1 had the old dodge patern 5 lug wheel.

Essayons

Yeah the data plate on the tub says A1, and the frame has it as an M116 trailer..no matter, I'm installing new axles anyhow..

Essayons

Ok, I'm about to get cranking on the trailer build. A lot has been going on, some good, some expected. Anyway I shall be posting some questions soon to find out some design aspects or considerations...

Essayons

Okay, I've been planning out my internal configurations, etc and now under the topic of internal/mounted water I'm planning on a 30 gallon tank mounted under the bed forward of the axle. The M101 sits nice and high enough for the tank(with a skid plate) to be mounted.
My questions comes to should I use an electric pump or a hand pump to get the water out? Another question is what provisions are made from all you builders to drain the water tank when not in use much less the pump to prevent freezing in cold climates. All the factory built ones don't mention it, and it seems they are made in areas where it doesn't freeze that much. I'm in south Texas, but mostly concerned if I take it up somewhere where it is very cold.
Another question I have is about the stock axle. How much weight is saved by changing it out for a civilian one? Does it justify the additional cost?I do like the parking brakes that's on it. Thoughts???

dstock

Explorer
You can save a couple hundred pounds getting rid of the stock axle. Dexter makes replacement axles with electric brakes and the parking brake option. Save your existing parking brake handles, cables etc., others have managed to rig them to work with the Dexters.

Essayons

You can save a couple hundred pounds getting rid of the stock axle. Dexter makes replacement axles with electric brakes and the parking brake option. Save your existing parking brake handles, cables etc., others have managed to rig them to work with the Dexters.
Yes dstock, I agree with you . I was just curious if there was anything compelling that should keep the stock axles other than the lower cost. I am also the opinion that by installing new axles, I know that the rolling chassis portion shouldn't give me any problems.

dstock

Explorer
Yes dstock, I agree with you . I was just curious if there was anything compelling that should keep the stock axles other than the lower cost. I am also the opinion that by installing new axles, I know that the rolling chassis portion shouldn't give me any problems.

That was exactly my thinking as well. I didn't want any rolling chassis issues and I was converting to Jeep hubs anyway. Also, you can get the ez-lube hubs on the Dexter to keep everything greased up.

Buffalobwana

Observer
I’m currently figuring this out, it’s not a straightforward task. Takes some Aggie engineering for this Red Raider to get it done. I’m experimenting with a parking brake cable from ... I forget what car, and two brake cables from a mid 80’s era motorcycle. I see the possibilities. Their are many. There are also tools I need that are at the ranch so, I’m putting it on hold for now.

It can be done!

I’m just keeping the stock axle though and using dexter brakes on the stock 8 lug hubs. They run $220 with parking brakes and about $120 (per pair, of course) without parking brakes. I’m sure that price is roughly the same for most hub sizes.
FA5941F4-30A2-4CAC-904C-3DDA49B11EB4.jpeg

Last edited:

Essayons

I’m currently figuring this out, it’s not a straightforward task. Takes some Aggie engineering for this Red Raider to get it done. I’m experimenting with a parking brake cable from ... I forget what car, and two brake cables from a mid 80’s era motorcycle. I see the possibilities. Their are many. There are also tools I need that are at the ranch so, I’m putting it on hold for now.

It can be done!

I’m just keeping the stock axle though and using dexter brakes on the stock 8 lug hubs. They run $220 with parking brakes and about $120 (per pair, of course) without parking brakes. I’m sure that price is roughly the same for most hub sizes.
View attachment 455644
Buffalo, are there any fitting issues with the 8-lug hubs and the axles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke