Sawtooth Unlimited - Off Road Pop Top Camper Trailer

stomperxj

Explorer
Greetings everyone. It’s time for a new trailer build finally. I’ve been working on this design for several years and in fact I started on the original design for this before the Sawtooth XL was done. I have finally decided to stop changing my mind (for the most part) and get after it. Analysis Paralysis is a real affliction.

My wife and I loved the Sawtooth XL but I always hated laying down to get dressed when it was cold outside. So, this time I’ve gone to the other end of the spectrum. I got a lot of inspiration from the Australian Off-Road Caravan industry. There are so many cool trailers available down there. A couple that are the biggest inspiration are the Echo Kavango and the Lifestyle AT10/AT12

I would like to introduce my new build, the Sawtooth Unlimited:
12ft long x 70” wide body
100% composite materials for the walls and roof
Fiberglass hinged pop top w/ canvas surround
Euro windows
On demand hot water
Slide out kitchen with pantry
Queen size bed

Here are some renderings of what I plan on building

JeyJRhg.jpg

SSS4K70.jpg

I have done a lot of material testing over the last year and I think I have a semi solid plan for the construction of this thing but it could all just end up as a huge fail. Whether it is a success or a failure, it will all be posted here.

I will be documenting this entire build on my YouTube channel as well for those interested:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jesscneal

The chassis is up first. Stay tuned-

Jess

ottsville

Observer
I very much enjoyed reading about your sawtooth build and was thinking of basing a build on it, but really want something larger. Will definitely be following this.

stomperxj

Explorer
I very much enjoyed reading about your sawtooth build and was thinking of basing a build on it, but really want something larger. Will definitely be following this.

Thanks! This will be a fun build.

Looking forward to seeing your build!

Thank you ;)

Looking forward to your design, what are you shooting for interior height , size of tires and ground clearance?

Thanks! Closed height will be 58.5" ish and open there will be 84" ish to the pop top in the standing area. 31" tires and bolt pattern to match the Jeep, ground clearance will be around 21" to the frame but there are a few bits that hang below that just a touch.

java

Expedition Leader
I followed your first one religiously! I cant wait to see what you come up with on this!

DIY composite walls?

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Count me in (subscriber 952). I've had the Exodus 9 bookmarked for some time. Your's is more like the '11' but who's counting.

What's the floor plan like? How many will it sleep? Will the fridge be accessible from inside as well as outside?

I know you said you're done trading ideas but one point of consideration that I've struggled with in seeing all the Aussie and SA caravans is that their weather is not the same as North America. Rain and cold are not huge concerns for them and that's reflected in their designs. I really like the 'hard-floor' designs (i.e. TVAN) and the dual-access design (i.e. Wedgetail tray camper).

stomperxj

Explorer
Count me in (subscriber 952). I've had the Exodus 9 bookmarked for some time. Your's is more like the '11' but who's counting.

What's the floor plan like? How many will it sleep? Will the fridge be accessible from inside as well as outside?

I know you said you're done trading ideas but one point of consideration that I've struggled with in seeing all the Aussie and SA caravans is that their weather is not the same as North America. Rain and cold are not huge concerns for them and that's reflected in their designs. I really like the 'hard-floor' designs (i.e. TVAN) and the dual-access design (i.e. Wedgetail tray camper).

Thanks for subbing ;) I like the Exodus too. Nice looking van...

This will have a single queen size bed with convertible table area, No inside fridge access at this point. May add a door later inside for this if we find we need in there all the time.

This is an older render but it shows the inside somewhat. Disregard the wood patterns.
PJUUBHQ.png

Weather shouldn't be an issue. We don't camp in the cold much but if we find we want to start doing that I'll add a Propex heater.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Thanks for the 'render'. The raised-white-letters and Cheerios are priceless. :wings: Is that a Cheez-It box? All the staples, right?
Fridge locker in front of the entry door?
Do you think a 'bunk' could be added to sleep a third?
I like that the entry step is inside the door.
Do you have any plans for the volume around the kitchen locker? If not, you could make the kitchen triangular-ish, yielding the most counter space possible.

stomperxj

Explorer
Thanks for the 'render'. The raised-white-letters and Cheerios are priceless. :wings: Is that a Cheez-It box? All the staples, right?
Fridge locker in front of the entry door?
Do you think a 'bunk' could be added to sleep a third?
I like that the entry step is inside the door.
Do you have any plans for the volume around the kitchen locker? If not, you could make the kitchen triangular-ish, yielding the most counter space possible.

Nutty Bars and Rice O Roni :)

Yes fridge in front of the entry door. Probably start out with a high end cooler but there is room enough for a nice size fridge.

I could probably add a bunk but it would be child sized at 68". I'd rather have the storage. Plus the electronics panel will be on the far "drivers" side of the front bulkhead

There is another storage door on the road side of the trailer exactly like the kitchen storage door so I have access from the other side. We can store fishing poles and other items in there using that door. Not sure what you mean by making the kitchen triangular.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Nutty Bars and Rice O Roni :)

Yes fridge in front of the entry door. Probably start out with a high end cooler but there is room enough for a nice size fridge.

I could probably add a bunk but it would be child sized at 68". I'd rather have the storage. Plus the electronics panel will be on the far "drivers" side of the front bulkhead

There is another storage door on the road side of the trailer exactly like the kitchen storage door so I have access from the other side. We can store fishing poles and other items in there using that door. Not sure what you mean by making the kitchen triangular.

I have a 2 year old, and will need to sleep 3, for several years. About the time he gets over 5 foot, he'll probably want to be sleeping outside, so that would be fine.

'triangular kitchen' = end, cross-section profile isn't rectangular (as drawn), but the top is wider than the bottom, fitting the contour/shape of the trailer around it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles