San Rafael Swell To Poison Springs Wash Road & Beyond

Winter is closing in on us in Utah and we are trying to get in as much wondering before the snow starts to fly. My brother Mike and I decided to head out on a 2 day adventure. We set out Thursday night and found a fun place to camp just outside of Huntington Utah in the San Rafael Swell. Like most trips I put together some videos documenting the trip.

Like most trips I always leave wishing we had more time to spend in the area and I can't wait to go back again.

Here are a few of my favorite pictures from the trip.
IMG_6702-5-min.jpg

IMG_6851-1-min.jpg

IMG_6841-min.jpg

IMG_6802-min.jpg

IMG_6719-min.jpg

Long Rifle

Observer
Thanks for great videos and pics. I was lucky enough to get into the Maze/Land of Standing Rocks in the mid 60's to early 70's with my brother. Flint trail down the Orange Cliffs was a little more challenging back then. Was not officially in the NP so you could camp anywhere and have a camp fire. Cattle were still being grazzed in the area.

I have enjoyed all of your posts and envious of your travels with your brother as my brother has been stuck in Michigan for many years. I did get back to the area for four days with a buddy in 2009. So glad my family moved us to AZ in 1959-love the West and especially Utah canyon country.

Thanks for great videos and pics. I was lucky enough to get into the Maze/Land of Standing Rocks in the mid 60's to early 70's with my brother. Flint trail down the Orange Cliffs was a little more challenging back then. Was not officially in the NP so you could camp anywhere and have a camp fire. Cattle were still being grazzed in the area.

I have enjoyed all of your posts and envious of your travels with your brother as my brother has been stuck in Michigan for many years. I did get back to the area for four days with a buddy in 2009. So glad my family moved us to AZ in 1959-love the West and especially Utah canyon country.

No doubt the west is incredible. I lived in AZ for a few years and loved how much exploring I was able to do in the Winter in my Jee. Mike and I did a fun day drip last year in LHC, AZ which was a blast. Getting my brother into these trips has been one of the best parts, we’ve always had a good relationship and this just builds on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm heading there in mid November for a week. Do you think it'll be too late in the year to drive on solid ground?

Unless we get some crazy snow in the area I think you should be good. Last year was a big winter and I hit the San Rafael Swell (part 1) area and it was slick but still tons of fun in late February this year. I made a video about that trip so you can get a little bit of an idea from it. As for the Poison Springs portion. There are 2 hill climbs I really wouldn’t want to do if it was slick. But I would for sure show up and see how they were. The drive in alone would be with it and my guess is they would be more than doable. Most significant Snow fall doesn’t happen till Dec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles