Request for Ideas: Hanging Pull Out Fridge Slide

MattJ

Adventurer
I have a Olympic 4x4 cargo rack in the back of my JK that is supported by horizontal bolts that I drilled into my roll bars. So the rack is extremely solid and can support a LOT of weight with no sag. I want to install a fridge, but have only 20 inches of clearance under the rack. And I have two large subwoofer speakers in the center of the cargo area, under the weather mat.

I would like to design a pull-out slide that mounts to the underside of my cargo rack and is NOT anchored to anything else. Ideally, the base of the fridge would be an inch or so above the weather mat in my cargo area, with the cargo rack and roll bars taking the weight. I have seen hanging baskets in closets that are the inspiration for this idea.

I am interested in suggestions and ideas from the creative experts on this forum!

Photos are below, including one that shows a YETI Tundra 65 in the space where the fridge would go. The two fridges I am considering are:

https://www.snomasterusa.com/product/classic-series-bdc-65-stainless-steel-acdc-fridgefreezer/

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Fridge-Freezer-63Qt-10800602-P21328C48.aspx

y4mcrmzow0ACA1x3PnTY5DiJ1uzkltl7QNHIOV5l_qqhd_FHbifMjwiGcGCfllxlsYhoS1yqusZbu2nsvnNTP4Ouen24GC95K5yuICHwLhMmHzT_A4w-8Le9TIZSWCGYo-rBUaXgk6F8ki1l87UWtBTPsCrcOhXO20y2L-p_y_0rv5t4FLbMaLvQhPcUx89UyCQutgQ3DiV-zd947rO2HImYw

y4m03QOEgTFPaGScYpJN2Y90MKnz4iShZLaOXGhgQarPmo0t2R4PnMih9TJUTOxY_5kAvLyPGKV6BzjrDhA8JNGVJQxxCSeje2t0T12nOjW4F1f9hiyd9j8KpklMhRKFs20LhU2fxB2oQHHyk8bu2RJ6n99u3VdvPMNHPyZh4JAArDecbgOFUm07p4fz3neK1vYY0afkmn-XI_vl-RQ1S_DdA

y4mWhY8gThYsCctuq0cFjTNU2T_lybGku92amd944__3s0RxBHi10QYI_UhLY7vs04G-tnajXsWMfs6FZ6-r53ouCnIcBgLkCJC22aFZcRb5rCGBugDsaLSGf9mO37yClOmLCTFUN10YNfO0NBNi-I3mwFWuWvbQukqYc8oYvE9PyLLPTSO-tnCeyNSa3IHry8i6j0v4B86GQwsVFFL19pCgw

y4mbdBdt7T-e84GHFYOnS-zJUPQF9S9Lw36ObeUAb02Ev8ROaMne1xgQ0oi6esnKTcu1CrEcsDBuTfw2lCDT4AP_3_Fc3Adi5Rmf02t5MQlbsE0YzJ9hqXfnv7p6t931aRUYUaaCcfguHSTq09ugqZ4KGJjGeZqgFmjjD99myGUpU_9Nhjx7UIvJJ4lUZusrVDRwHIBbC5Wr5joDNPNMdbeJQ

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
L bracket on your basket, drawer slides on L bracket, then bend a sheet of metal into a flat U shape that the fridge will sit in (cut ventilation cutouts to match the fridge). Screw the fridge to the U basket (or u straps) and those attach to the drawer slides. Youll also need a strong hoop at the top that the slides attach to to keep everything square.

MattJ

Adventurer
I gotta say, since I hatched this idea this morning, I can't stop thinking about how great this design might be. Think about it: a rock-solid cargo rack with a slide-out mechanism for a fridge that hangs right below it. No need to bolt or anchor anything to the floor or sides of the cargo area itself. Minimal additional weight added beyond the fridge and cargo rack. Maybe even an inch or two of room UNDER the fridge for storing flat items like a tarp, blanket, tent poles or collapsible table. And best of all, my subwoofer speakers under the weather mat still have some clearance to boom!

Please keep the ideas coming . . .

y4mCLE2CNRXApDqOhB3oq1R-DJV-2WgZRwXoWh2T73cM1Vl76Gh7PVocHx7YmCzd5rlLOYK6fDFWTMuN7S8Cb7KxVnxwu_UH65G-KgS1EzsHx31K8o6n2bHkcUbTgliqWvTiwvVFBfnfnyTEXJZKZHRo3S_1FISXOVm9bqh7VYLt-v5t8VGJuSDf4faR78f1Gx6yeUHNnbZG-_FGTt5DQhz3Q

dstock

Explorer
As long as the "drawer" slides can support the weight, it shouldn't be that tough to fab up. Angle iron to attach to the rack and slides, and then using flat steel just make a frame to cradle the fridge. Positioned correctly the frame could incorporate holes to use the fridge feet bolt holes for attachment to the fridge cradle. Plenty of ventilation as well.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Spotted this on a Patriot camper at SEMA yesterday. Not exactly what you're looking to do, but might give you some ideas.

PatriotFridge_zpshdj1ummk.jpg

MattJ

Adventurer
Thanks for bumping this thread. I actually spent a few hours yesterday working on a custom mounting for my Dometic fridge and slide-out tray. I decided NOT to design a hanging mount system. I got worried about lateral stress in off-camber situations, as you mentioned in a PM. But fridge mounts and slide-out options are never "done", so I'll put the idea on a back burner in case I reconfigure my cargo area some day. I'll post pics here when I get my current configuration done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier