New 4x4 project, seeking advice or vendor parts

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
New project, new challenges.

Here it is. A 22-ft Class A motorhome on a 1990 E350 chassis, dually, 158 wheelbase.

20171015_173824.jpg

I already have a complete set of front (Dana Super 60 widetrac) and rear (Spicer S110) axles from a 2008 F450.. 4.30:1 gears. They're complete - coils springs, radius arms, sway bars, drag links, leaf packs, etc.

Note that I've done 3 separate 4x4 conversions before, so this is not my first. I could fabricate about anything but I'd prefer off-the shelf parts as a starting point to tweak or add to or retrofit. I know kits are not available for 1990 E350s, but can I use the ones for 92-plus, with some cutting, welding, extending, etc.?

Here's the guidance / consultation I am seeking.
1. Go front COIL or go LEAF spring
2. If I go COIL, does anyone or know anyone/vendor who already has some parts that I could start with, to adapt them to a 1990 E350 chassis?
3. If I go LEAF, does anyone or know anyone/vendow (Ujoint Chris?) Who already has some parts that I could start with, to adapt them to a 1990 E350 chassis?

Art

Last edited:

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
Specific parts

A. For coil front:
1. Coil hat - are the coil diameters of f450 vs E350 different?
2. Radius arm mounts
3. Track bar and mount

B. For leaf front:
1. Spring packs, shackles and mounts

C. For the rear
1. Leaf spring mounts for the longer springs

Silverhorse

Adventurer
van and truck springs and coil buckets are different. so you need van coils. i believe the van frame is a little wider though i'm not positive. measure out your van center of coil buckets to that of the axle(lower coil retainer bolt) and see how close they are..

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
Very good points, sh. Thank ypu.

I'll get a measurement of the f450 frame , coil-tower to coil-tower.

Van coils are easily available in different heights and spring rates, if I couldnt use the F450 coils.

Keep them ideas and thoughts coming!

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
I got the axles off their pallets and initial measurements show that the spring pads for E350-Dana70 vs F450-S110 duffer slightly. The Dana80's are 45 inches apart, while the S110's are 42 inches apart. There's room outboard of the S110 pads to extend them 1-1/2 inch allowing the spring packs some clearance from the brake calipers.

Also, I found out my S110 has the limited slip differential, which is nice, I'll just leave it as is and put an ARB just for the front.

********* updated figures, after careful re-measuring ********

41.5 inches between spring pads of S110 rear axle from F450

49 inches between spring pads of Dana 70HD rear axle of E350 motorhome

7.5 inches total difference; 3-3/4 inches per side

Last edited:

Silverhorse

Adventurer
the rear will be easy enough.. just moving the pads... the front 60 lower coil mount center to center (on the axle)should be 46 1/2. the measurement I took off the 2008 f350 frame is 45 1/2 upper coil bucket center to center... if your frame is close to that you should be good... but I'm no expert on the E350 chassis...

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
the rear will be easy enough.. just moving the pads... the front 60 lower coil mount center to center (on the axle)should be 46 1/2. the measurement I took off the 2008 f350 frame is 45 1/2 upper coil bucket center to center... if your frame is close to that you should be good... but I'm no expert on the E350 chassis...

I wish the rear would be that simple, since there are only two tack welds securing the pads to the square axle tube. However when I last looked at the S110 axle, there is a transition next to the pad from square/flat to rounded. I'll check again tonight, maybe 1-1/2 inch next to it is still flat.

Yes, the fronts are OK, F450 to E350.

Last edited:

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
Verified measurements

Tonight I carefully measured the dimensions and here are the verified figures (I updated my earlier posts):

41.5 inches between spring pads of the F450 S110 rear axle

49 inches between spring pads of the motorhome E350 Dana 70HD rear axle

7.5 inches total difference; 3-3/4 inches per side

Solution:

1. Weld a new spring pad 3-3/4" outboard next to the existing pad. This spring pad will have to fit the rounded portion of the S110, unlike the existing pad*that is welded on the flat/square portion.

2. Use a 3-inch lift block for the spring pack to clear the brake caliper mounting bracket and at the same time to serve to match the 4x4 lift required at the front.

3. Use rounded U-bolt clamps to fit the round bottom portion of the S110 (can't use the stock clamps for the bottom of the square portion of the S110), or use round bend U-bolts with a flat clamp over the spring pack.

4. This solution leaves a tire clearance that is only 10 inches between the spring pack and the wheel mounting surface, barely enough to clear the stock 19.5x6 wheels with 245/70R19.5 (33") tires. I may have to use a 1-inch wheel spacer which won't be that bad because the motorhome rear wheelwell / fender is kind of "out"ish.

Last edited:

BaseCamp

Observer
What are the wheel mounting surface widths for both axles? You may have to throw some spacers on anyways to clear the wheel wells?

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
What are the wheel mounting surface widths for both axles? You may have to throw some spacers on anyways to clear the wheel wells?

BC, thanks for contributing to this thread.

WMS-WMS, surprisingly are both about 84 inches.

Last edited:

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
Here's the completed 4x4 conversion, 7.5" lift, Widetrack Dana Super 60, 4.30 gears, S110 Limited Slip rear axle. Divorced NP205 transfer case with cable-operated remote Twin Shifters. It took me 6 months, one day each weekend with a few exceptions.:-( , probably about 100 hours of work on it.

Attachments

• Vision4X4.jpg
    Vision4X4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne