Wire protection ideas

JMacs

Observer
Right now, I am enjoying a steady stream of packages coming in. All the pieces and parts for adding a dual battery set up, and all the power distribution that goes along with it.

Question for you all. How do you protect your wires as they run around in the engine compartment / under the truck? The factory uses the corrugated split loom and then shrink wraps it with something else. Agreed that would be the best way to do it, but not very practical for the home builder.

If you just use the split loom, have you had issues with it filling up with sand / mud / dirt when it is under the truck?

Are there some better products out there to use? Or do you just suck it up and shrink wrap it all?

Thanks.

Rando

Explorer
I have never had an issue using good quality wire and corrugated split loom or braided loom. This is how Toyota protects all the wires in the engine bay and under the vehicle. The split loom is really just to prevent physical damage from rocks, abrasion and road debris, and not for moisture protection. The insulation on decent quality wire will provide moisture protection. Trying to waterproof the wire runs with shrink tube or conduit seems like it will lead to the conduit eventually filling with water and not draining, which maybe a worse situation than being splashed occasionally.

john61ct

Adventurer
Note if several high-current circuits are enclosed together, that may bump you up a size or two in the gauge requirement.

JMacs

Observer
My biggest worry was more about the loom filling up with sand and grit. That stuff holds water, can act like sandpaper. Just water should dry out pretty quickly.

Reading through everyone's write-ups, you can find the occasional product that is really cool and works really well, but is hard to find if you don't really know what you are looking for and where to find it. I was kind of hoping for something like that.

So how do you tell good quality loom versus the cheap crappy stuff for us DIY people? I am getting stuff from a couple of places that have it. Superbright LEDs. Del City. Waytek wire. All looks the same on the web sites.

JMacs

Observer
More tools?? :) I didn't know there was a tool for that.

See, another good reason to ask questions around here.

v_man

Explorer
On my dual setup, I added this sheath to my large gauge wires. It's pretty tough, I'm not sure it's as tough as split loom. My other thought is that you should focus on securing the wires so they're not moving, shaking, rubbing, vibrating, contacting anything. I'd be more worried about wear on the wire due to contact than dirt in the split loom...

q8rZ7jt.jpg

d3BWvWb.jpg

paranoid56

Adventurer
i used split loom then taped it up with electrical tape, its a bunch of extra work, but it looks factory and is great protection.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I used split loom on mine.
db17.jpg
db21.JPG
As you can see from the pictures, this is up high near the top of the firewall.
I figure if I'm that deep in water or sand, a bad connection on my dual battery is the LEAST of my problems. :ylsmoke:

Superduty

Adventurer
There are quite a variety of split loom (corrugated tubing) out there. I have found the stuff at the local parts store is typically junk. You want to find the black stuff with either a gray or blue stripe on it.

Blue stripe means it is flame retardant. Gray is heavy duty and typically has a higher temp rating than the standard no stripe stuff.

For electrical tape stick with Scotch Super 33+ or Super 88. The 88 being thicker.

For a look at all sorts of great stuff to protect your wiring, check out Del City.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Split-Wire-Loom/p_800821

JMacs

Observer
Going front to back, I plan on going right next to the factory harness. Runs along the top of the frame rail. Piggy back on those mounts. That's my biggest area of concern. I am going to put a Group 31 in the bed.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I use split loom and good electrical tape in any exposed areas. Within the engine bay, if the wires aren't at risk of chafing, they don't get loom (the factory didn't feel it was necessary). For runs under the Jeep, I provide impact protection by running the wires through the unibody frame rails instead of externally (loomed for as much of the run as possible).

rayra

Expedition Leader
R... Or do you just suck it up and shrink wrap it all?

heh, if using heat shrink requires 'sucking it up', you're not going to want to go to the effort of what I did. I ran heavy 1/0 cabling to the rear of my vehicle, working towards a planned hitch carrier-mounted winch that could be used at both front and rear of the vehicle. I elected to use electrical flex conduit to solve all the issues of abrasion, exposure, water and grit etc. It passes thru my cargo area floor via junction panel bulkhead fittings and I thoroughly sealed the other end to the cable, at my under-hood Aux battery location.

powermodule194.jpg
powermodule159.jpg
161657-Designing-a-complicated-power-infrastructure-seeking-inputs-on-my-inputs-and-ouputs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles