To lift or not to lift, that is the question

thezentree

pretend redneck
I think I commented on your thread on t4r but I'm in a similar situation. I have an 80 mile daily commute and just went to 3" and 285s on my 3rd gen. I lost 5mpg and spent a ton of money in addition to the lift to get it driveable on the highway again. Granted, I was chasing vibrations that a lot of people don't seem to have, but it was a huge added cost I wasn't anticipating (but thankfully was able to handle).

If I had to do it over again, I'd have started with adjustable coilovers at 2-2.5" and some softer springs (swapped to Toytec BOSS coilovers last week - holy crap what a difference in ride) and 265s or 255s. I may still sell these 285s and get some 255s to try to get some mpgs back.

tacollie

Glamper
I ran OME 881/890 coils on my 2000. With the 5 speed and 235/85r16 Duratracs I could still get 20mpg regularly. 255/85r16 took it down to 17-18.

sologeek

Observer
I would wait until your existing parts are tired and need replacing then use that as a chance to add a couple inches at most. Nice opportunity to increase ride quality and looks at the same time. I think the 4Runner looks damn good with small lift.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'd change the suspension for both the height and performance. However, really depends on how you use the rig. There are few places a stock rig won't go. Assuming good tires, proper air pressure, good driver... I love coilovers and resi shocks because driving fast is fun. :)

My 1999 4runner was the most fun with 2-3" lift and stock size off road tires. Bigger tires degrade handling, stopping distance, acceleration, mpg and fun factor. Supercharger is the best upgrade on the 3rd gen 4runner ever! Keep it light! Don't need the stupid hi-lift jack (should be called widow maker), maxxtrax (heavy and awkward), steel bumpers, etc. Get a good air compressor and air down your tires.

TheSmileyBastard

Supercharger is the best upgrade on the 3rd gen 4runner ever! Keep it light! Don't need the stupid hi-lift jack (should be called widow maker), maxxtrax (heavy and awkward), steel bumpers, etc. Get a good air compressor and air down your tires.

Can you elaborate on this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles