storing a flip-top soft RTT on edge - comments/concerns?

rickc

Adventurer
Hi folks:

I have an ARB Simpson III. When it was delivered, the box had clear "this way up" markings and the tent was oriented in the box with the hinge end up. I plan to store the RTT in my garage for most of the winter, on one end, and plan to do this hinge end up but wonder if this was a only a shipping requirement due to the way the thing was packed or because storing it hinge end down is somehow bad for the tent. I'll be making a small dolly for this purpose very soon.

Any tent manufacturers/reps out there with an opinion and maybe some reasoning behind storage orientation?

crazysccrmd

Observer
I store mine on its side strapped on a cheap furniture dolly from Lowes. I don't remember what the orientation is now or what it was last winter but I haven't had any problems doing that.

Box Rocket

I store mine like this all the time. Only concern is wear to the travel cover if it gets slid on the floor or something.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Easiest solution is to use a hardtop hoist mounted to the ceiling of the garage, you can buy or build your own hoist quite easily.

rickc

Adventurer
Hi all: Thanks for the responses. I can't use a hoist because my truck plus RTT will not fit in my garage. "What am I going to hurt" is what I'm hoping a tent supplier will be able to help with. All the hard edges are at the hinge end so it makes more sense to me to store it on the hinge end but as noted, it came in a box in the opposite orientation with a "this way up" arrow. One concern with storing it on the softer side is pressure on the tubes that fit in the pockets; these have to be pushed well into the tent when folding otherwise it's almost impossible to get the cover on but still, if resting on the soft (opposite from hinge) side, there may be extended pressure on the pockets. I've seen some videos showing owners pulling the lower tubes out of the pockets before closing an RTT but I don't find this necessary.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Another thought just came to me, would you have room in your garage for one of those wheeled carts they use at Home Depot or Lowes for plywood and lumber? If you cushioned the RTT with a moving blanket or two on a cart you could safely store it on edge and still move it without worry of scratching.

rickc

Adventurer
jeep-N-montero: Already made a dolly for this purpose! It's just waiting for a move to my new home and the tent to be taken off and put away. My concerns are more around possible damage if the tent is stored a "wrong" way.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
jeep-N-montero: Already made a dolly for this purpose! It's just waiting for a move to my new home and the tent to be taken off and put away. My concerns are more around possible damage if the tent is stored a "wrong" way.

I wouldn't even sweat it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles