Basil Lynch's 2000 F250 Expedition camper build

Basil.

Really like your new ride! My 2001 f-350 has been hauling 10,000 pounds since it rolled off the dealers lot and it still runs and drives great at 120,000 miles. Looking forward to your improvements.

Nice! I'm looking forward to putting many more miles on this truck. I'm happy to hear yours has lasted so long especially while towing. Still on the OEM transmission?

Thanks!

That looks really nice!

What is the camper construction? Exterior skin? It looks like it has seams?

Thanks! Construction is wood/metal, exterior skin is a Galvanized Aluminum. Camper is very well built and solid!

Man that thing looks good. Welcome to the Ford club brother :smiley_drive:

:beer:

That's really pretty. Does the camper come off the bed or is it fixed?

It can be removed! Only takes 8 bolts and its off. Im tempted to mount it to a flatbed so that I can have the best of both worlds.

ripperj

Explorer
I like it! Motion windows (Peninsula Glass) if you want a custom size, old school aluminum and glass window with screens. They can do double or single pane. I went with square corners, but would go with a radius next build. Stronger because they weld the comers, but more importantly to me...no sharp corners

Great quality, outstanding crating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

java

Expedition Leader
I like it! Motion windows (Peninsula Glass) if you want a custom size, old school aluminum and glass window with screens. They can do double or single pane. I went with square corners, but would go with a radius next build. Stronger because they weld the comers, but more importantly to me...no sharp corners

I used them as well.

Basil.

Very Nice!

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! I'll contact them for a quote next week.

I used them as well.

Good to know, taking a lot of info from your build! Looking into heaters next.

Basil.

Well it's been a busy few weeks at work but I got some stuff done on the truck!

Installed some tow mirrors I picked up off of amazon, the stock ones were useless. Also got my Maxtrax mounted on the outside, I used two L tracks and some crossbars to mount them, I think it looks great and still has extra space for a few more items. I got a few goodies from Diesel Power Products, a Edge Insight CTS2 to monitor the truck's vitals and a PHP Hydra tuner with Gearhead tunes. The tuner has been mind blowing, it's crazy what a small chip can do to a truck.

I also mounted up my personalised licence plate, I think it fits the build well :sombrero:
BAS00074 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr

I dropped the truck off at North County Spring this morning for a full set of custom progressive leafs, should dramatically improve the ride, while also getting rid of the stupid airbags. I'll be picking it up friday afternoon and can't wait to drive it! I also have a set of 315/75r16 Yokohama G015's on the way, one of my favorite tires i've ever drove on, I can't wait to get them mounted up and a huge thanks to Yokohama Tire for joining in on this build.

Basil.

Just picked the truck up from North County Spring! Its a bit taller than i'd like, but they said it should settle in a few weeks. Ended up lifting it about 4" from stock.

IMG_4538-1 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr

wild1

Adventurer
It's carrying 10,000 pounds, not towing it. It has a service body and Alaskan camper and they are heavy! The stock trany is still going strong. Have you weighted your rig? Its real easy to exceed the rear tire capacity on these rigs if you load them up.

Basil.

It's carrying 10,000 pounds, not towing it. It has a service body and Alaskan camper and they are heavy! The stock trany is still going strong. Have you weighted your rig? Its real easy to exceed the rear tire capacity on these rigs if you load them up.

Yep! The truck is just about 8,800 lbs right now. Not going to get much heavier. Tires i'm going to be running are E rated and are load rated to 3,860 lb per tire. Should be good, just have to be careful about 3 wheeling this truck, which I don't plan on doing much at all.

tkrrox

Well it's been a busy few weeks at work but I got some stuff done on the truck!

Installed some tow mirrors I picked up off of amazon, the stock ones were useless. Also got my Maxtrax mounted on the outside, I used two L tracks and some crossbars to mount them, I think it looks great and still has extra space for a few more items. I got a few goodies from Diesel Power Products, a Edge Insight CTS2 to monitor the truck's vitals and a PHP Hydra tuner with Gearhead tunes. The tuner has been mind blowing, it's crazy what a small chip can do to a truck.

I also mounted up my personalised licence plate, I think it fits the build well :sombrero:
BAS00074 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr

I dropped the truck off at North County Spring this morning for a full set of custom progressive leafs, should dramatically improve the ride, while also getting rid of the stupid airbags. I'll be picking it up friday afternoon and can't wait to drive it! I also have a set of 315/75r16 Yokohama G015's on the way, one of my favorite tires i've ever drove on, I can't wait to get them mounted up and a huge thanks to Yokohama Tire for joining in on this build.

How do they compare to the toyo open country a/t 2?

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
Just picked the truck up from North County Spring! Its a bit taller than i'd like, but they said it should settle in a few weeks. Ended up lifting it about 4" from stock.

IMG_4538-1 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr

Were these custom built for your rig based on it’s weight or did they have a “stock” custom setup they use. I’ve got a build in progress where I think a new spring setup will be in order too. Very interested to hear what you think of these after some testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basil.

How do they compare to the toyo open country a/t 2?

I've never driven on those tires, but I had a set of the G015's on my FJ before and they were amazing, I fell in love with the tire. It doesn't look super aggressive, but it drives great and traction is superb.

Were these custom built for your rig based on it's weight or did they have a “stock” custom setup they use. I've got a build in progress where I think a new spring setup will be in order too. Very interested to hear what you think of these after some testing.

The front leafs were "Stock" Custom, the rears they made full custom. So far the ride has dramatically improved, but now the truck needs shocks. Its bouncing down the road like a dolphin. Once I get some new shocks I will be able to give you a more definite answer on the ride quality of the leafs.

java

Expedition Leader
I use "truck camper" steps, they work well, but you need to find a place to store them. Mine are good for 31-39" above the ground, and they make a taller one with another step also.

37843134701_1a7c16a082_b.jpg

These are the ones I have https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/Brophy/AS24.html

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
I’ve seen some folks use a 4’ aluminum step ladder, modified by removing the legs opposite the steps and rigging a means to secure to the side rail of the camper/bed. Fairly cost and space effective solution and what I may use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giobarra