New to Cruisers-Family Friendly?

it all depends on what you hit. Physics are a law. I have a 1993 FZJ80 and i would be willing to bet that i would survive better than the driver/passenger of most of the other cars i would be likely to be involved in an accident with assuming we all have on seatbelts even if they were newer. Unless of course it is a newer land cruiser. FZJ80's were considered to be the safest SUV's of their time. Just like the 100's and now the 200's are today. a 1993 Tahoe is considered to be a pretty safe vehicle by most standards, however an FZJ80 of the same year is safer. Fact.

hoser

Explorer
I'll let you folks hash out the child safety. But I will say body on frame SUV's offer little in the way of crush zones. How many airbags is irrelevant for newborns that sits in the 2nd row, middle seat. When I look at accidents with 60,70 and 80's... I see the weak point being the "A" and "C" pillars. The parents need to survive these accidents too and be able to physically work and support these kids. It is not really till about 2008'ish where manufacturers started beefing up the roof structure with the use of Ultra High Strength Steel (UHSS)... and also testing the roof structure. Adding all that "expedition" weight makes the roof structure even less safe.

Deshet

Adventurer
IIHS 5 Star LC 200 2011 Model scored 33 out of 37

IIHS 4 star Rated LC 100 2002 Model Read the details safety was marginal in several areas scored 25 out of 37

Watch the baby in the second row behind the driver.....also watch the rear body panel absorb the shock in older cars this is transmitted to the body

Shocked anyone would think side-impact airbags don't matter 4th picture......The FJ Cruiser is rated highly for 2009 and up in almost every catergory

BLUF: Newer Generations of the same model are always safer for passengers especially in the USA.

I have done my good deed for the day and have included the documented "science"

Those of you that were alive in 1980 when the 60 was built should remember that safety was more of an afterthought. Seat belts had just became mandatory although usage was optional. People were often ejected from cars during accidents. Glass breakage from the windsheild could kill you. Kids played with mercury from thermostats. Bike helmets weren't even a thing. The youngest kids rode back wards in a station wagon, feet just inches from the rear bumper.

Last edited:

Piranah25

I currently have 3 kids 5 and under. Here’s my recommendation. I’ve owned an FJ60, FJ55 (both pre-kids) and recently a BJ73 plus 2 100 series. Do yourself a favor and get a 2001+ 100 series with child seat anchors, rear air, side curtain airbags etc. I’ll be the first to tell you I love the old school looks of the previous generations, but once you get over the “cool” factor, you’ll enjoy everything that is better about the 100 series. You don’t mention your budget but I would take a look at the 200 series as well. Forum.ih8mud.com will be your new best friend!! Congrats and happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why an 01+?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles