New to Cruisers-Family Friendly?

turnerc7

Hi All,

As I have my first little one on the way my Defender 90 simply will not cut it anymore. I am looking for something that has a similar aesthetic(60/62) but has a back seat and the ability to mount a baby seat.

Do the FJ 60/62 fit the bill? Is there something else I should be looking at? I have looked at the 80/100 but my wife and I like the looks of the older vehicles better.

Additionally, I am sure there is a thread for newbies like myself, does anyone have a link for it?

Cheers and happy Friday!

collk22

Observer
The 60 series will not have anchors in the seat (which you probably knew) and does not have a traditional locking seat belt. Also, the 60 series is slow and thirsty. It's an enthusiasts truck at this point. Parts and knowledgeable mechanics can be expensive and hard to come by, though coming from a D90 you either already know what that's like or you can handle quite a bit of DIY maintenance and repair. I love my 62, but would not want it to be my primary DD / family vehicle.

Source of Knowledge - I have a 62.

Head to the 60 series forum on ih8mud - much better source of LC information than ExPo.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My J80 was a family hauler, pre air bags and all that. Its ok for a family of 4 but we moved to a slightly more modern rig for family safety in the crash dept. 05 Sequoia a 100 series would be great also.

v_man

Explorer
My wife and I have a baby with another one coming soon. We picked up an 07' LX for family hauling duty and moderate 4wheeling. Are looks and aesthetic appeal your highest priority for this new family hauler? How about airbags, anti lock brakes, vehicle safety control, having enough power to safely pass someone?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The 100 series and the first gen Sequoia both hold a really high crash score. After a neighbor told me about his brothers family being hit by a F150 doing 50+ while they were stopped at a light I had a new interest in newer respected crash worthy rigs for the family hauler. They were launched over the Prius in front of them and hit a 4dr jeep crossing on a green. Not a single panel of glass was left in the Sequoia but they all walked away very sore but they walked away. The Prius driver and passenger went to the ER as did the Jeep driver. The F150 driver died

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I currently have 3 kids 5 and under. Here’s my recommendation. I’ve owned an FJ60, FJ55 (both pre-kids) and recently a BJ73 plus 2 100 series. Do yourself a favor and get a 2001+ 100 series with child seat anchors, rear air, side curtain airbags etc. I’ll be the first to tell you I love the old school looks of the previous generations, but once you get over the “cool” factor, you’ll enjoy everything that is better about the 100 series. You don’t mention your budget but I would take a look at the 200 series as well. Forum.ih8mud.com will be your new best friend!! Congrats and happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arktikos

Explorer
Hi All,

As I have my first little one on the way my Defender 90 simply will not cut it anymore. I am looking for something that has a similar aesthetic(60/62) but has a back seat and the ability to mount a baby seat.

Do the FJ 60/62 fit the bill? Is there something else I should be looking at? I have looked at the 80/100 but my wife and I like the looks of the older vehicles better.../QUOTE]

Yeah, it fits the bill provided you can foot the bill. Spendy to get a nice one anymore. The practical drawbacks others mention are there, but essentially it will work.

Nothing else I can think of with a similar aesthetic, save the 4 door Jeeps. Might take a look at them too if you're worried about safety and/or feel the need to accelerate rapidly.

I have a 40, 80, and a 200. I would get at least an 80 if I were you. If you are really going to use it for family, get a 200. For what D90's are going for these days, you should be able to sell the D90 and purchase and build a nice 200 with money left over.

Deshet

Adventurer
Knowing what we know about impacts and crash safety a baby or a child weighing under 90# should not be anywhere near a 60/62. If you have a defender now you can probably afford to have a weekend vehicle. I am assuming that your baby hasn't arrived yet because this isn't a question that someone would ask after seeing how delicate a newborn is. Even if you are the greatest driver in the world it is called an accident for a reason. I would be extremely suprised if your wife is onboard with anything from the 80 or 90s once the baby comes. You are in for a 2 year recknoing call post partdem may God be with you. Any agreements made before the baby was born are null and void. Start studying crash test rating and figure out the best thing that fits your needs that is safe or at least be prepared to buy her a minivan.

Infant mortatility rates were higher in the 1980s. The FJ Cruiser is a good contender and proforms well of offroad. I would not even put someone else newborn in one of those vehicles.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Purchase the newest Land Cruiser you can afford. 100 series are great and offer lots of room to grow with a family. 100 series have rear air is wonderful living in the SW you wont be disappointed.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Go 100 series its a modern rig, safe, solid smooth family hauler that can handle some tough ground. I would not want to be in my old J80 in a bad wreck. Especially after spending time in more modern vehicles. Modern rigs are tough and safe rigs A 100 would wad up a J80 like a tin can if they hit each other.

Deshet

Adventurer
You guys sound like my 70-year-old mom.

Cars that don't fold up in a crash transfer the impact to the passengers. Newer cars don't take much to total out but passengers are living through accidents that would have been life-threatening in the past. Many are designed to allow the engine to absorb the force of a head on collison. The 80 is not a good canadiate for a new born especially the early ones, the 100 is better but I would get the newest one avaiable with 12 or more airbags.

We pay for insurance for a reason. Babies die in accidents every year; it is not worth the risk. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them. It sucks for those that can't afford to make the best choice but to those that want to "look" a certain way when they fully understand what is at stake is sad.

My neighbor was killed years ago taking his daughter on a cruise with his motorcycle. The daughter has a glass eye a missing leg and had several surgeries to look mostly normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94