2000 Chinook Baja 4x4 for sale

brodyaga

This Rare and Exclusive 4x4 motorhome features everything you would find in a Class A motorhome, but in a more compact size that is only about 1 & 1/2 feet longer than a standard full size Ford, Dodge, or Chevrolet van. With a robust V10 gas engine & 4 speed auto trans with overdrive, it easily accelerates in traffic, parks in any store parking stall, takes hills and mountains passes like a car, but sleeps 4 comfortably. And with a 2 speed transfer case behind the Dana 60 front axle, it goes where ordinary motorhomes fear to tread! Logging roads to remote lakes, sure thing. Rocky riverbeds, no sweat. But just in case, it also features a 12,000 lb Warn front winch. With wireless remote.

giraffe-4_orig.jpg

chinook-baja_orig.png

Last edited:

brodyaga

My apologies to any I've offended. I started reading the forum when Neverenough began his Kodiak build. Now I've started a similar build and I want to sell my current rig. So I made up the best ad I could in the hopes of finding a good home for it.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Doesn't look like spam to me. Good luck with the sale! Amazing rig and it's a shame they don't make them anymore.

brodyaga

I've recently made some improvements and updated the original post.

Improvements @ 74,000 miles:

Front bumper sandblasted, powder coated
Tailight protectors sandblasted, powder coated

Old halogen driving and fog lights replaced with KC and PIIA LED units

Wilson weBoost Drive 4G-X cell phone booster installed
Garmin BC20 rear view camera for RV 760LMT GPS installed

toilet replaced with ceramic marine toilet
chipped and damaged interior wall panels replaced

Last edited:

Deshet

Adventurer
is this one of the ones that Ujoint converted to 4x4 or is this a Quigley unit?

I had a Bornfree 4x4 like this but it had the 460, the only reason I sold it and head room. I trying to building my 7.3 4x4 ambo in a similar manner.

You should make a video of it, people that haven't seen one in person don't understand what they are. These and the Bigfoots were probably the best things going in that time period.

Thanks

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic

Thanks

This is not a Ujoint conversion. These were sold new as 4wd. The 2wd Chinooks are either Concourse or Destiny? I think. Not sure who did the 4wd on the Baja model originally, probably Quigley, Quadvan or maybe even Clydesdale or one of those older, defunct converters. The Baja hasn't been available since the early 2000's.

Last edited:

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Chinook history.

And an little bit saying that it might be a Quigley conversion:

"Not to be outdone, in 2000 the company entered a new, off-the-line Chinook Baja featuring a Quigley 4×4 all-wheel drive package in the Alcan 5000 Winter Rally, a grueling 4,500-mile road challenge. Starting out in Seattle, Washington through the Yukon Territory of Canada, the rally traveled all the way up to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, a tiny town on the edge of the Arctic Ocean. From there, rally entrants returned south to Anchorage to finish the nine-day rally."

brodyaga

I had a Bornfree 4x4 like this but it had the 460, the only reason I sold it and head room. I trying to building my 7.3 4x4 ambo in a similar manner.

You should make a video of it, people that haven't seen one in person don't understand what they are. These and the Bigfoots were probably the best things going in that time period.

Thanks

The former Trailwagons company of Yakima, WA, the manufacturers of the original Chinook motorhomes contracted with the former Salem Kroger company of Red Bluff, CA to perform the 4x4 conversions. Both those companies went out of business almost a decade ago. My understanding is that the company which bought the assets of the bankrupt Trailwinds company is currently building motorhomes under the Chinook name.

The former manager of Salem Kroger, Craig Jackson, opened his own 4x4 conversions business under the name of Whitefeather 4x4 Conversions, in Red Bluff after the bankruptcy of Salem Kroger. According to Craig, the best 2 wheel drive mainstream motorhome candidates for a 4x4 motorhome conversion are the old Chinooks and the Bigfoots.

At this website https://www.runamokmama.com/4x4-motorhome-4-sale.html owned by some friends of mine, there is a link to a video of my Baja 4x4 that was taken by Youtubers: Wynot Wander, back in the spring while I was at America's Mailbox - mail forwarding service - in Box Elder, SD. I wasn't there at the time they made the video. Here's direct link to the video From what I have learned over the last year and a half, the front axle and front & rear suspension, and steering, and brakes need to be 1 Ton Super Duty at a bare minimum. You need to have someone who is an established expert in real, real world, roadless terrain vehicles to at least advise, direct, and supervise the suspension, steering and braking system work if you want the project to be safe and sucessful.

Weather permitting I may take some new photos and do a short amateur video after New Years. Otherwise it will have to wait until spring. Everywhere I go it turns heads and people stop to walk around it and take photos. Because as you say, they've never seen anything like it before. Not many were made, and fewer have survived. It's a bit like having an old Mustang or Corvette.

The Chinook was designed and built to be a luxury weekend / holiday camper. And for its intended purpose it is exceptional. But I am living in it full time, and I need more space, more storage, more house batteries, more solar panels, more water, etc. And there just isn't enough chassis, roof, or camper space to upgrade it beyond what it was designed for. And because this is the first RV I've ever owned I didn't realize what my needs would be until I went through the experience.

Thanks to all for the kind comments.
Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited:

brodyaga

I have been personally acquainted with Craig Jackson for over a year now. He personally drive tested every 4x4 conversion of every Chinook Baja 4x4 before they were shipped back to Trailwinds. And I have confirmed that through other sources. To the best of my knowledge the author of that article is mistaken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles