Wider Track without Low Offset Wheels or LT Kits - 1st Gen Tundra

PHeller

Adventurer
So I've got about 4 months on a set of 2" wheels spacers on my 06 Tundra, and I love it. I've driven lots of low, nimble cars in the past, and I feel like the wider track really helps make the truck more stable, if not dare I say...fun.

Thing is, I'm not wild about running spacers.

I'm also not wild about running 9" wheels to get the similar offset necessary (most 7.5" narrow wheels aren't -38 offset) and I like pizza cutters.

Lastly, I've looked at the prices for long travel kits and they are just too much. I'd be ok with a set of of upper and lower control arms if they utilize stock suspension components, but with most kits costing upwards of $1200, thats more than I want to spend on a 190k mile Tundra.

Is there any way of getting a wider track (in the front at least) without putting additional wear on bearings (spacers/low offset wheels) or spending big bucks on long travel kits?

D

Deleted member 9101

Swap in a Sequoia front sway bar, it will do wonders for the handling. They are like 10.00 at a pick n pull. Grab the mounting brackets too, since they are slightly different than the ones on your Tundra.

Leibbrand

Adventurer
spacer or offset wheel will put the same load on the bearings for a given track width and tire.

Widening the track with a lt for stability will be counter productive as you delete the antiroll bar in the process.

I'd look to increase the rate on your dampers, and upping the antiroll bar moment.

PHeller

Adventurer
spacer or offset wheel will put the same load on the bearings for a given track width and tire.

I know that. Hence why I'm trying to avoid it.

Widening the track with a lt for stability will be counter productive as you delete the antiroll bar in the process.

Not necessarily. This is like saying a stadium truck, or even a really wide desert racer will handle worse than a top heavy overly stiff stock vehicle. That's just not true. Those vehicles benefit from wider track, regardless of how much sway they've got.

Perhaps I didn't word it right, but I'm just looking for a wider track without putting more wear on my wheel bearings and without doing a full LT kit.

I'd look to increase the rate on your dampers, and upping the antiroll bar moment.

This helps with grip, but I don't need more grip.

At any rate, it looks like my question was answer, which is that "no" there really is no easy way of widening track without going for a full long travel kit or lower offset wheels.

JLee

Adventurer
A lower offset wheel will cause just as much additional wheel bearing stress as spacers do.

PHeller

Adventurer
JEEBUS

without putting additional wear on bearings (spacers/low offset wheels)

I know that. Hence why I'm trying to avoid it.

In my original post, I said I've got spacers, and I don't like running spacers, because spacers put additional wear on the bearings, and I don't want to run low offset wheels, because they also put additional wear on the bearings.

I understand wheel spacers are the same as offset wheels. Yes. I get it. Ok. Lets move on from that.

Loubaru

Adventurer
Figure out a way to push the complete spindle outwards? Whatever you do sounds like it will be expensive since you'll need custom front axles if you don't want to run low offset/spacers... If it were me I'd just get lower offset wheels and deal with the additional bearing wear, replacing the bearings at a .75 rate of normal is going to be less expensive.

PHeller

Adventurer
Loubaru, I think thats probably the cheapest option. I wasnt sure if there was a LCA that moved the spindle out, but even if there was Id need a longer CV and between all that Id probably end up similar cost as wheel and spare wheel bearings. And unlike suspension components, wheels are relatively easy to pull of and resell later down the road.

zidaro

Explorer
Everything your asking here i think you already know the answer to.
Its called Long Travel. It takes the stock spindle, bearings, brakes, etc... and pushes them out with a longer LCA/UCA and requires a longer axle in the CV. You don't have to lift to have a LT setup, most do. But it can be set at stock ride height.

Oh, and it aint cheap. You could look up Blazeland and see if he is making anything for the Tundra. He offers econo longer modified arms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles