Onboard air and lockers

fordracing19

Observer
People who run a storage tank, how much pressure drop do you see over a period of time? Do you leave the compressor on so it always is full for when you need to engage the locker or when you head offroad turn it on?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Pressure drop is entirely dependent on how good a job you did installing it. It can range from essentially 0 to empty in nothing flat. I left mine on all the time, not because of leaks or lockers (not fond of anything except mechanical), but because it ran my ridiculously massive train horn.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I turn my Extreme Outback setup on when I hit the trail or if I need air around the house, otherwise I leave it off. But after I am off the trail I notice I can keep air in the 2gal tank for a couple days.

jsolorza

Observer
I leave my compressor on while my air lockers are engaged, but the compressor is pressure controlled it turns on at 80 psi and off at 125 psi. I believe arb allows the compressor to start up after 20 min of air locker engagement.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I believe it cycles on the pressures of on @80 and off at 110. You can get different pressure switches but my feeling is ARB knows their product so I just turn the compressor on and let it cycle it's self as needed.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
I leave my air on all the time, 200psi in the small tank with a regulator set to about 100psi after the tank. It's for the exhaust brake and fire truck air horn. It does leak down to 0 overnight sometimes.

fordracing19

Observer
My Viair portable that I hard mounted needed a tank so went with 1 gal. All is good and and air locker is installed and good. Heading to NMBDR tonight.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I'm another who just runs the compressor when needed; either for the air locker or to air the tires back up, have not yet needed a tank.

Enjoy!

MOguy

Explorer
People who run a storage tank, how much pressure drop do you see over a period of time? Do you leave the compressor on so it always is full for when you need to engage the locker or when you head offroad turn it on?

I have an older ARB pump that has a small tank as part of the unit. If I am heading out and I think I might need my lockers I turn on the compressor and leave it on until I don't think I will need it any longer. Depending on the trials my compressor might be switched on most of the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles