Wheel arch flares

unkamonkey

Explorer
What do you need wheel flares for anyway? I know I left one of mine along a highway in western Colorado after my LF tire decided to self destruct.
After an hour of changing the tire I just didn't want to hike back the 1/2 mile to collect the parts out of the road in the heat. I also wonder why the 3 times I have had to change a tire on the roadside it has always been the LF?

gait

Explorer
I haven't got round to flares yet, but about to.

Reason is the mud and rainwater that gets sprayed onto the side mirrors and side windows.

I normally don't drive in rain or dark. But every so often it just sort of happens. Not being able to see what is behind is a bit unsettling when trying to change lanes in a vehicle that tends to be slower than the surrounding traffic.

Mirror, signal, manoeuvre is unsafe without the mirror bit at the beginning. :)

yabanja

Explorer
Flares

Another good reason to have flares is that on gravel roads at about 50 mph you will throw gravel out in front of the truck and crack your own windshield. (Ask me how I know!)

The best flare option for the FG637 is the stock flares/steps from a heavier duty Fuso FH of the same vintage which uses the same cab. I haven't done this yet but know several who have.

Take care!

Allan

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The best flare option for the FG637 is the stock flares/steps from a heavier duty Fuso FH of the same vintage which uses the same cab.

Personally, I did not know that was an option and I am pretty sure I would not be the only one. It's a pity that this is not an option for my model.
That is some very useful forum information. :wings:

Wheel_Flares_Fuso_FH.jpg

Bris31

Adventurer
Now & then - on my FG649 2003. Copied the idea from Dan's (and Henny) FG637. It covers the tyre 315/75R16 width.
Flair is from Clark's Rubber, sold by meters.

Attachments

• Flair2.jpg
    Flair2.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Flair1.jpg
    Flair1.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 21

Reddogtheo

Observer
Thanks Members
I now have three options that are all great the FH option is interesting and will try to buy a set and look at the step setup with my bulbar.
The 637 is unique in the configuration with the tilt cab mech built into the trim . Earthcruiser has told me that they have a lot of 40mm flare extensions yet none for a 637 they will work with me to see if they can make a one off using existing molds with modifications if I like. I know this would cost a fortune maybe over $1k for a set so all other options are very interesting. How great is this site for information where the best options come from all around the world

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles