Crux Expedition Trailers in Denver CO.

Ravenmad

Observer
knives

Here is a picture of the magnetic strips covered with brushed stainless and attached to the inside of the door. The knives are Stainless Steel as well. Its a common theme with all my stuff for the trailer.

20171111_143048.jpg

20171111_143102.jpg

Last edited:

Ravenmad

Observer
Was finally able to pick up another foam insert for the primary drawer that pulls out over the cook station. I still need to build a lift out box for silverware and cooking utensils.

20171118_152243.jpg

rlynch356

Defyota
Section 3.[/B] The passenger side is divided into three areas. The front compartment houses Batteries, solar manager, Converter, water tank management, and misc. electronics. The middle compartment is all about maintenance and tools as well as a onboard compressor ( two ARB Twin HD's ) mounted under the bottom drawer. .

rambling question.. Why do you have a dual ARB (or 2 if i am reading this correctly..) installed on the trailer? I'm asking b/c A) the battery draw for an ARB compressor is severe let along a dual, and never mind 2 and B) why not just keep it on the truck and add an outlet in the rear and/or a longer hose...
I have a dual ARB in the truck and use 2 ARB hoses when needed to air up the trailer tires.. I usually use both along with the dual outlets to air up 2 tires at the same time on my regulated system.

just curious

Ravenmad

Observer
rambling question.. Why do you have a dual ARB (or 2 if i am reading this correctly..) installed on the trailer? I'm asking b/c A) the battery draw for an ARB compressor is severe let along a dual, and never mind 2 and B) why not just keep it on the truck and add an outlet in the rear and/or a longer hose...
I have a dual ARB in the truck and use 2 ARB hoses when needed to air up the trailer tires.. I usually use both along with the dual outlets to air up 2 tires at the same time on my regulated system.

just curious

Sorry for the delayed response. Good Question. I guess I should have clarified with more details. It's an ARB Dual compressor, with a 5 gallon tank. I do have an ARB HD compressor on my jeep for the ARBs and airing up tires (although, I find with 40s the HD compressor is good for about a 10-12psi fill up on each tire before it just gets to hot). Personally, I like a compressor on the trailer, its good for blowing dust out of the tent, airing up the inevitable air mattress for my daughter and ultimately it gives me a capability at camp to run small air tools for repairs. I agree, the AMP draw on an ARB dual compressor is high. It is part of the reason for adding a Honda generator, shore power and a second battery. Don't get me wrong, its not the only reason for adding those things (actually a small portion of the reason) but it is part of the reason.

My Expo trailer is meant to be a base camp and in such I have basically made a list of the capabilities I want/think I need, thats why I divided the trailer in half. One side for Mechanicals, repairs, service and Medical. The other side (drivers side opens up into the tent annex) is for cooking, life support and food. My buddy has a cappuccino machine in his trailer and a mount for a TV, is that excess? YES SIR IT IS, but its what he wanted and when we go camping I sit in his camp and watch video footage of the day on his TV while sipping a cappuccino. He in turn will bring an air mattress over to air up with my compressor lolol... In the end, its just what I wanted.

I did want to put 2 dual compressors in the trailer on an air tank so I could run air impacts, but the AMP draw was just WAY to much and in the end it didn't make sense. Thanks again for the thoughtful question, its always good to gain an outside perspective, Ive been saved from myself many times because of it...

Speleo

Speleo
I took delivery of one of the trailers last week.

Still learning the ins and outs of this unit.
Your foam inserts in the drawers are a good idea to use..

Do those magnetic strips keep those knives in place all the time?

Bruce

KellyM

Adventurer
I took delivery of one of the trailers last week.

Still learning the ins and outs of this unit.
Your foam inserts in the drawers are a good idea to use..

Do those magnetic strips keep those knives in place all the time?

Bruce
What do you think of your Crux Trailer?

bshinn

Joined the tribe last weekend and couldn't be happier. Just beginning the loadout and setup. Going to take a few trips to get it dialed in I guess, but the thing is well built.
Now I need to add the 13" rotors & dual piston calipers and finish the LS swap. This thing is an even bigger pig with 2500#'s dragging behind it!
20190216_165032.jpg

Piophan

D238A1F6-9A50-4345-AD14-0DAE408FE1AC.jpeg
I bought mine yesterday. I’ll bring it home in a couple weeks and start using it right away. I like the foam for storage. What have other people tried?

bshinn

Joined the tribe last weekend and couldn't be happier. Just beginning the loadout and setup. Going to take a few trips to get it dialed in I guess, but the thing is well built.
Now I need to add the 13" rotors & dual piston calipers and finish the LS swap. This thing is an even bigger pig with 2500#'s dragging behind it!
View attachment 500611
So far, I'm happy with the basic quality of the trailer but the quality of the electrical system leaves a little to be desired. The wiring, while functional was not neat by any means. Some of this I attribute to some aftermarket work the dealership did, but some was factory build quality. When I 1st got it home, I powered the fridge up (Dometic CF50) to see how long it would run. It made it until sometime Tuesday before shutting down due to low voltage (12.5V). I plugged the charger into AC power, but I would not charge indicating the batteries had a full charge. With the quality of the charger, I decided to pull the inverter as well and check it out. There were screws and spacers that hold the main circuit board to the case that were stripped and rolling around inside the case and the board was loose. After some contemplation, I decided to delete the AC power from the trailer to save the space and hassle of dragging the trailer 90 miles away for warranty work.

I replaced the charger with a NOCO Gen2 20A dual battery charger/maintainer and added a shore power port while I was at it. I am in the process of cleaning up the wiring harness, and once that's accomplished I don't see any other issues.

It finally dried out enough here to open it up and check everything out. erecting the annex is a workout!

Attachments

• Crux 2.jpg
    Crux 2.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Crux 6.jpg
    Crux 6.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Crux 4.jpg
    Crux 4.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 107

PSea

Ravenmad,

Would love an update on your experience w Crux.

...and thanks for detailing some of the mods you did. Thinking I might go w a LiFePo system.

PSea

I have the 1600 and love it!
Hope u dont mind me peppering you with quedtions....
How long have you owned?
Any warranty items?
Did u compare w the Black Series line? If so, any thoughts?
How's the canvas' waterproofing?

Much appreciated!

Cuse Runner

We’ve only had it on one trip for 4 days, no rain, so haven’t tested the waterproofing. For what we wanted, it is exactly that. Unlike other more expensive brands, Patriot/ Turtleback/ etc, this is a weekender vs those. The 18 gallon water tank is small compared to those. Other than that, battery, sleeping, kitchen are great. Going from a ground tent to this, night and day, this is a great base camp setup that can grow as you do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles