Thread: Crux Expedition Trailers in Denver CO.

Key word "Forethought"... I think you could be correct. If you start to build something from scratch and youre running on good intention and some shop space its probably easy for the good idea fairy to help you change course and add things. My buddys trailer has a full Propex furnace, AC, fridge freezer combo, lighting, aluminum boxes, a generator and a matching spare. Im relatively certain his fridge freezer cost almost 2600. alone. Its a good point, that a person can build a decent trailer if they have a good plan and are prepared to execute and not get distracted. LOL, its all the amenities that cost so darn much....
    Last edited by Ravenmad; 11-06-2017 at 02:28 PM.

That is the point a trailer itself isn't where the cost goes over budget. It is everything else. That heater alone is around $800 which is the same cost as Timbren axles, Same as solar panels and the list goes on. At least they can be added as you go though. The nice thing is that you can defiantly customize things to your liking.
    Last edited by JandDGreens; 11-07-2017 at 04:22 AM.

Totally agree.

Had to take my trailer back to Crux for some warranty work. Fairly minor, but I wanted to get it fixed ASAP. The bushing under the sink were the water line connects was leaking, the rear fan that is used to pressurize the inside of the compartments stopped working, and a drawer slide broke (little ball bearings fell out when I removed the drawer). None the less, the owner was very easy to work with, called her direct and got it fixed two days later.

I also asked for some spare parts and she sold them to me at cost.
    1. A second large bag for the annex room walls when its folded up.
    2. Four extra adjustable poles with C's on each end for extra support on the roof (heavy snow loads).
    3. Spare hub and spindle assemblies for the independent suspension.
    4. Extra set of drawer slides.
    5. A solar extension line to make it easier to move the solar panel around as the sun moves in the sky .

I leaned that CRUX has just signed a deal with Camping World for 450 units (wow). Good luck, for a small company in transition thats used top selling 20 units a month I think thats a big task... Guess you will see them for sale all over the Western US now.

Default packaging

So, I sat down and really started to think about packaging, the utilization of space and how to satisfy my needs for organization. Each side compartment has a set of drawers except the passenger side rear compartment (I removed the drawer) because that is the space soon to be occupied by a Propex furnace and hot water shower assembly. The trailer is divided into three sections. Section 1. The driver side will house the cook / wash station, along with all our food, and everything we might use to cook clean and eat with. Section 2. The rear tailgate slide out will be our Fridge / Freezer combo and obligatory wine rack. Section 3. The passenger side is divided into three areas. The front compartment houses Batteries, solar manager, Converter, water tank management, and misc. electronics. The middle compartment is all about maintenance and tools as well as a onboard compressor ( two ARB Twin HD's ) mounted under the bottom drawer. The rear corner compartment again, is for the Propex furnace and the hot water shower assembly and support equipment (i.e. shower tent).

For organization purposes I made a trip to IKEA, Bass pro shop, and REI. I was fortunate enough to have a supply of Pelican case foam inserts. I cut inserts for the driver side drawers (I still need one for the long drawer that slides out over the cook / wash station) and started to lay out how to place cooking ware, dishes, cutlery, bowls, cups and dry goods.

I found magnets strips to hold long knives to the inside of door #1 and individual stainless steel spice cups with magnetic backs for door #2. The magnetic strips were placed on door #1 as it opens to the front and will allow me to have the cook station pulled out, then reach over and get the knife I need during meal prep. and cooking.

In the middle compartment , bottom drawer I cut out for my wineglass and misc. holder as well as a Stanley Thermos. The top middle drawer is for dry goods. (I purchased sealed dry goods containers from IKEA) The space will hold eight containers (I will have to go back to get another four). The rear corner compartment is for bulk food items like mountain house meals, drink mixes, some larger pots and pans (Le Creuset).
    Last edited by Ravenmad; 11-11-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast