Crux Expedition Trailers in Denver CO.

Ravenmad

Observer
Does anyone know anything about these (Crux Expedition Trailers)? I am going to go and look at them next week but Im curious about peoples observations and if anyone has any expereince with them.... Really, in the end I am down to a couple of options that are all in the price range of 15-18K.

Ravenmad

Observer
LOL.... That is the truth. I bet expo. Trailers are like stereo equipment, 100% makeup...

I can see the cost when it comes to some of the premium larger trailers and especially when you have a small to mid sized business with a ton of overhead because of skilled labor, insurance, liability and such... But my gosh, if it's a small off-road trailer with a RTT and some storage, why does it cost over 15K? Perhaps the RTTs is a good example. If it's made in South Africa or Ausi land the materials used are superior, the cost of skilled labor is high and then there is shipping on top of that = premium cost with a standard margin. If it's made in China materials are ok, labor is cheap and the single most exspensive part of the tent is the shipping = near premium cost and a much larger margin. If a business can make money it will, I don't fault that. We as consumers need to educate ourselves as best as we can so we can make a somewhat informed descision... Again, I don't mind paying for something, heck, I don't mind paying a premium for something, but if I'm paying a premium price it better be of premium quality. Don't tell me a "Smitty Built" RTT is of comparable quality and design To a "Howling Moon", I'm a little crazy but I'm not dumb. Likewise, trailers, OMG, probably gonna ruffle feathers but a "Ruger" trailer for 6K ??? Or a base Schutt XV3 for 15k, my new Subi. Cross trek was on sale last year for 20K out the door and it's a 4x4 wagon with a power train and an interior... Not a box with a frame, a lid, off the shelf lights, and a mounting location for a RTT....

JandDGreens

Adventurer
LOL.... That is the truth. I bet expo. Trailers are like stereo equipment, 100% makeup...

I can see the cost when it comes to some of the premium larger trailers and especially when you have a small to mid sized business with a ton of overhead because of skilled labor, insurance, liability and such... But my gosh, if it's a small off-road trailer with a RTT and some storage, why does it cost over 15K? Perhaps the RTTs is a good example. If it's made in South Africa or Ausi land the materials used are superior, the cost of skilled labor is high and then there is shipping on top of that = premium cost with a standard margin. If it's made in China materials are ok, labor is cheap and the single most exspensive part of the tent is the shipping = near premium cost and a much larger margin. If a business can make money it will, I don't fault that. We as consumers need to educate ourselves as best as we can so we can make a somewhat informed descision... Again, I don't mind paying for something, heck, I don't mind paying a premium for something, but if I'm paying a premium price it better be of premium quality. Don't tell me a "Smitty Built" RTT is of comparable quality and design To a "Howling Moon", I'm a little crazy but I'm not dumb. Likewise, trailers, OMG, probably gonna ruffle feathers but a "Ruger" trailer for 6K ??? Or a base Schutt XV3 for 15k, my new Subi. Cross trek was on sale last year for 20K out the door and it's a 4x4 wagon with a power train and an interior... Not a box with a frame, a lid, off the shelf lights, and a mounting location for a RTT....
I have to agree with you on the cost, and good luck to anyone that thinks building a high quality trailer and mass producing them would be so easy. I have undertook building my own trailer and every step of the way the cost just keeps going up. I would say materials alone will surpass $5K and even more if I continue to add some of the goodies I'd like to. I'm going with a simple axle, leaf and shackle system but what I really want to used is Timbren Axle-Less system but at just under $1K I'll wait and see how much I need one.
I can't imagine how much insurance would run producing a trailer let alone the overhead.

Ravenmad

Observer
Yuuupppp.... I have a good friend who out of frustration decided to build his own teardrop trailer and swore it shouldn't cost more than 2-3K IN MATERIALS...LOLOL. I love him, great dude and an even better friend. Last count he was at almost 10 grand and he has not put appliances (sink, fridge, furnace) in it yet. Nothing's cheap anymore.

I did buy a expedition trailer, however, I bought it at a significantly reduced rate. It will require me to change/add a bunch of things to bring it up to a place were I want it to be. If I would have had the time to build a trailer i deff. Would have. There is something to be said for having built something your gonna use. Even if it doesn't look as trendy or opulent as a commercially produced trailer, who cares, you built it.... I also feel the same way about my jeep, Although I started with a body, frame and interior... Put up some pictures of your trailer JandDGreens, I can't believe how much I have learned and been inspired by people's builds here on the expo. Forum....

Rumline

Observer
I think these things are so expensive because they're all essentially hand made. If any expedition trailer got so popular as to enable mass production the cost would drop significantly. That's why you can get a Subaru for $20k; they sell millions of them. Whether it's a "good deal" or not shouldn't really matter, unless you get off on obtaining things as inexpensively as possible. (Aint nothing wrong with being frugal...that's not what I'm saying) If you like something the best out of the available options (including building one yourself) and it's in your budget then pull the trigger.

I like the Crux design better than many I've seen. No experience with them though.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Are you wanting a trailer to haul gear (cheap), or a small towable canvas covered (or tin-can) house with electricity, running water, and HVAC (expensive)?

I just wanted a box with a hinged lid on a frame with wheels and tires to haul camping gear since a TJ will only hold so much (even with the rear seat removed). A modified 4' HF frame, simple aftermarket leaf springs and a solid beam 3500lb axle (with electric brakes), 235/75/15" tires on 15x7" rims, and a few bolt-ons and I was good-to-go. All told parts and labor (I was the vast majority of the labor - free!) I have roughly $3000 in it (maybe a little less) not counting the tent. The custom diamond plate tub was my most expensive part (with shipping came to almost $1000). If I hadn't had it made like the old WWII trailer tubs it wouldn't have been as expensive (but I'm retired Army, and I wanted the military theme). But if you've priced aluminum truck boxes with hinged locking lids and struts (which this essentially is - just larger) it really wasn't that expensive.

And that's a double-sized tent-cot (from Cabela's) with a custom cover bolted to the lid acting as an RTT.

Hardtop.26.jpgCover.2.jpg

Last edited:

Ravenmad

Observer
Great little trailer. I think with most people it's about expanding storage and gaining some utility so they can carry more emenities.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Yuuupppp.... I have a good friend who out of frustration decided to build his own teardrop trailer and swore it shouldn't cost more than 2-3K IN MATERIALS...LOLOL. I love him, great dude and an even better friend. Last count he was at almost 10 grand and he has not put appliances (sink, fridge, furnace) in it yet. Nothing's cheap anymore.

I did buy a expedition trailer, however, I bought it at a significantly reduced rate. It will require me to change/add a bunch of things to bring it up to a place were I want it to be. If I would have had the time to build a trailer i deff. Would have. There is something to be said for having built something your gonna use. Even if it doesn't look as trendy or opulent as a commercially produced trailer, who cares, you built it.... I also feel the same way about my jeep, Although I started with a body, frame and interior... Put up some pictures of your trailer JandDGreens, I can't believe how much I have learned and been inspired by people's builds here on the expo. Forum....
I haven't worked on it for a while since summer is when I work and try and go wheeling/exploring. But here is a link to what I have started and in the thread is a link to a forum that has a more detailed thread about how I got there.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/164844-Another-XJ-camper-Build

rnArmy

Adventurer
Great little trailer. I think with most people it's about expanding storage and gaining some utility so they can carry more emenities.

Thanks. And that's exactly what I was wanting - the ability to carry more "stuff" without spending a fortune. Camping and "roughing-it" don't have to be the same thing. To me, it is the extra "stuff" you can bring with you (now that you've got a little trailer) that makes a camping trip or overlanding trip way more enjoyable. I can carry comfortable folding chairs, folding table, a 10x10' folding canopy, my propane oven/stove combo (fresh blueberry muffins in the morning; pizza or muffins with dinner in the evening), extra fuel (four gallon Kolpin between the front of the tub and cooler, two 2.5 gallon jerry cans, and two 1.5 gallon Kolpin cans bolted inside on the other side of the spare tire - all total 12 gallons), that's a 2.5 gallon water jug bolted to the trailer's spare tire, and a couple of Rubbermaid 8-gallon action packers for food/cooking supplies, etc. The tub is tall enough so two action packers can stack on each other and the lid still closes. It even holds the collapsible ladder for the tent. It is amazing how much stuff and gear you can put inside a little trailer built off even a 4' HF-type frame. Leaf springs and a solid axle is an inexpensive and totally doable option that has been working on trailers all over the world since probably well before the old classic military trailers (M-100 and M-416). And my TJ is a four cylinder only rated for I believe 2000lbs towing. A lot of those trailers folks are getting are heavy (because they include everything including the kitchen sink). And I totally get the appeal of these tricked-out trailers - believe me - it just isn't in the budget.
And this trailer's got thousands of miles on it, to include all up in northwestern Canada and Alaska. Our last adventure we took it up the Dempster Highway in NW Canada (this time behind a modified Jeep ZJ). Nary a whimper. It has earned its keep over-and-over. It isn't abused, but it has been run hard.
Of course, if you wanted to give me a $25,000 teardrop set-up for off-road expedition travel with Timbren independent suspension, propane shower, 65 gallon water tank with sink and spigot with on-demand hot water, wired for independent electricity with inside and outside LED lights and a DVD/entertainment center inside, HVAC system, slide-out ARB fridge, awning, and all the other amenities folks like to have - I would gratefully accept it (and I'd pull it behind my truck because it would be too much for my TJ). My wife would be grateful for the ability to go glamping (she's not really into my style of camping/adventures no matter how much extra stuff I bring).
Hardtop.25.jpgtent cot.22.jpgYukon Dempster.1.JPGCamp stove.jpgYukon Keith and Jeep.1.jpgYukon Dempster Eagle Pass Copy.2.JPG

Last edited:

Ravenmad

Observer
Yeah, my woman also prefers a little luxury. Actually, I think she just wants to watch me setup, cook, clean and put everything away for once.. lololol In the end I bought a Crux Expedition Trailer. I got a really good deal, the owner was fairly helpful and I think it will be a good base to start modifying to meet my needs. I was very close to buying a Schutt XV3 and a Chaser. In the end I prefer the compartmented side access doors. The RTT is gonna come off and (its a heavy 552# canvas tent and is far bigger than I need 16'x14') in its place will go a height adjustable aluminum roof rack and a large RTT with annex. Im also gonna build a spare tire carrier for the rear to move the spare from under the trailer to the back. Yesterday I ordered foam inserts for the drawers and we will be outfitting it "like a small apartment according to my woman". Ill start a specific build thread...

Silverhorse

Adventurer
I researched the Crux when i was shopping, not big enough for us but nothing is (7 of us)... The Crux is very well built. check out their suspension set-up. I would say one of the top U.S. made expo trailers.. Most of your "cheaper" cargo trailer types fall way short in the suspension department... IMO

Ravenmad

Observer
From what I've seen so far on the trailer, I agree. I did however get a spare hub and spindle assembly for both sides, as well as bearings and races. The independent trailing arm setup looks quite HD. Coil springs with shocks and limiting straps. I will start a thread tomorrow and start detailing the changes as well.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Congratulations on your purchase. You should be able to go so many places with that rig and trailer. Looks like your ready for some trails/camping for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles