Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: "No More Projects!", says I. And then...1972 Superior 2200. Couldn't pass it up.

Don't get stuck on the distributor cap being marked #1. Neutralize the distributor so you have room to advance/retard. At TDC on compression stroke, the terminal that the rotor is pointing at (or almost pointing at) is #1. Arrange the plug wires as appropriate for the firing order from there.

It's pretty simple to convert R12 systems to R134A. Your buddy is right, flush the system to get the ester oil out, change the dryer (and maybe expansion valve if you can find one) add some new PAG oil screw on the R134A port adapters and recharge with R143A.
    2015 MB Sprinter Winnebago Era 70C
    1965 Scout 80 7.3PSD/ZF/203/205 D60F/14BFF
    Member: 4 Jackstand Wheeler's Association
    Quote Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

I hate to do this to you but they had these on sale at Cabela's for $249 and free shipping.

image (3).jpg
    1992 FORD F-350 Crew 4X4. 460 gas, Manual 5-speed. Sky's Offroad Design shackle reversal, Atlas Spring spring packs, Falken 37x12.5-17 Wildpeaks Trailready 17x8.5 beadlocks, Warn Winches front&rear, Odyssey AGM Batteries, Power Master. Centramatic Dynamic Wheel Balancers. Pressure Pro TPMS. Maxima Racing Fluids, Vision-X, JE Reel, Crap Ind.
    Build thread

Middle of Nowhere, Outer Skin of Space Ship Earth, 1 A.U. from Sol, Outskirts of Milky Way.
    Quote Originally Posted by pappawheely View Post
    I hate to do this to you but they had these on sale at Cabela's for $249 and free shipping.

image (3).jpg
    Many years ago, I built a metal box on the back of my old camper van to hold a generator. At the time, I was thiking of adding a 5k BTU window shaker a/c unit. So I bought a Honeywell 2k inverter gen and built the box big enough to hold that.

Well, the Honeywell didn't work out. After going through 3 of the things, none of which worked right, they finally just gave me my money back.

By that time I had decided I didn't need the a/c after all, so since I only needed a gen for battery charging, I wanted the smallest possible generator. And I didn't need an inverter gen.

So I bought a 1200w Champ. Great little gen which would run 14 hours (one complete battery charge cycle) on 1.2g of gas. It eventually wore out.

But even 1200w was more than I needed for battery charging, so I replaced it with something even smaller, the Harbor Freight 2-stroke. Went through a couple of those and decided to go back to a Champ.

I would have bought another 1200, but this model is the same size, with the same engine, but a slightly beefier alternator. And fits perfectly in the generator box on the back of the old camper van.

If need be, I could also carry it around in the generator compartment of the Superior, though I'll most likely install an Onan 2800w MicroQuiet there. Just big enough to run a/c and charge batteries. No bigger. And runs off the vehicle fuel tank.

So sure, I could have bought a bigger gen. But I don't want one. All I need a gen for is battery charging. I want the smallest I can get.

That 5k Champ certainly wouldn't fit in the gen box on the back of the van, nor in the gen box on the Superior.

And I sure don't need a beast that burns a gallon of fuel per hour just for charging batteries.

Middle of Nowhere, Outer Skin of Space Ship Earth, 1 A.U. from Sol, Outskirts of Milky Way.
    Quote Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
    Don't get stuck on the distributor cap being marked #1.
    Actually marked #1 in two different places. Which probably would work except for the giant water pump on the "industrial" version getting in the way.

Neutralize the distributor so you have room to advance/retard. At TDC on compression stroke, the terminal that the rotor is pointing at (or almost pointing at) is #1. Arrange the plug wires as appropriate for the firing order from there.
    Been there, done that. Time for some lateral thinking.

It's pretty simple to convert R12 systems to R134A. Your buddy is right, flush the system to get the ester oil out, change the dryer (and maybe expansion valve if you can find one) add some new PAG oil screw on the R134A port adapters and recharge with R143A.
    Actually, I'll most likely rip it all out, replace the compressor with a second alternator, buy a big inverter and just install a new roof a/c. That could run off the main engine, generator or shore power.

Fortunately, I've got years to decide, so I'll explore various options before making a final decision.

Sooo much similarity to the old '72 Commander my grandpa had as a kid. Awesome.

I am getting a real kick out of this read. I resurrected a 1978 GMC Royale and faced a lot of these exact challenges. Yes, it had the "poop burner" into the exhaust and the hot water heated off the engine. I sold some of the original hubcaps on Ebay and went for some 16 inch Alcoa wheels, mostly to get away from the 16.5 tires, which were getting hard to find and spendy. I think the GMC was a lot easier to work on, because there are clubs that had seminars, many expert owners, shops that specialize in them, new upgrade parts specific to them, etc. Dropping both fuel tanks to renew the socks and seals and hoses was a couple days of fun, but if you don't do that, you can burn them down with a leak. With the Superior, you are out there in uncharted territory, but you have a great base to work from, much better than something made of sticks and staples! The only thing you have to watch is how much $ you throw at it. I got all mine back when I sold the GMC, but I certainly had a lot of hours in it, which is what makes a guy say things like "No more Projects". Ha!
    95 K2500 GMC Suburban 12 Valve Cummins
    2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins
    2001 Freightliner FL60 Crew Cab 3216 CAT Allison 6 speed
    Quads, Isuzu Vehicross (s), Rodeos, etc.

Sold: Northern Lite 10-200

A buddy of mine posted this comment in one of his Scout builds:

It is readily apparent that i am very much the hobbyist who , by definition, spends far more time and energy at something than makes economic sense.

Sometimes it's the journey not the destination, and who says it has to make any sense?
    2015 MB Sprinter Winnebago Era 70C
    1965 Scout 80 7.3PSD/ZF/203/205 D60F/14BFF
    Member: 4 Jackstand Wheeler's Association
    Quote Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314