Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: "No More Projects!", says I. And then...1972 Superior 2200. Couldn't pass it up.

Middle of Nowhere, Outer Skin of Space Ship Earth, 1 A.U. from Sol, Outskirts of Milky Way.
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbus4x4 View Post
    Canister purge valve hanging open will create a vacuum leak and cause lean codes.
    Good to know, but it's a non-issue now. After cleaning the MAF and putting some miles on it, the lean codes went away. Took it for a spin this morning, and the evap code cleared itself as well. Ran it straight over to my smog guy and he said it should pass. So I said go for it, and it passed. He's also a DMV agent, so he took care of the reg and request new title and gave me the new tag. As soon as the new pink shows up, this sucker goes on Craigslist.

He also clued me up on the retirement program for the old van. Has to fail smog (no problemo, he does the test/inspection ) to qualify and pays a grand. He did the application for me - says it takes a month to hear back on approval. He said for a 1976, it's pretty much sure to be approved.

Also took a look at yet another van this morning.

I had a 413 in a 71 Travco. Hope this is not your situation, but it was mine. It sat for a couple of years when we didn't use it. When I tried to start it, nada. After messing with it for a while I pulled the valve covers and all the intake (or exhaust valves I can't remember which) were stuck. I figured it was caused by old gas. Maybe not. In any case it was a bear to get them freed up. Some of the pushrods were bent from the valves not moving. It took a piece of 2x4 and a heavy sledgehammer, beating on each valve in turn for a long time before I got them freed up. Lots of penetrant. Once I did that and installed new pushrods, it ran fine. Don't know if the problem is typical of 413's or not. Really liked that motorhome. Sold it to a guy from Atlanta who flew out to Denver to pick it up. He hadn't ever been to SD before so drove up to the Black Hills before heading home. Looking west at the sunset as he drove, he went off the side of the road and rolled it. Sad story. It was pristine.
    Last edited by kerry; 02-19-2018 at 03:49 AM.

By the way, The Travco had a recirculating toilet too. Loved it. Nothing irks me more than using fresh water on every flush with a non-recirculating toilet. Railway engines used (use?) recirculating toilets, typically with a manual pump. Often right behind the big headlight.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415