How Many Gears In A Transmission Is Too Many?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Never had a manual trans leave me on the side of the road.....

I've been stranded by both auto trans and manual trans over the decades.
But since the automatic was a column shift, my girl friend and I took advantage of the time.
Where as the manual was a floor shift, and not near as "fun".
Your break down may vary. :elkgrin:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I agree on the CVT potential. Seemingly they can't take much power but you would think a scaled up version would be fine.

Or you parallel 5 or 6 CVT belt/chain things on long input/output shafts. Using 6 CVT transmissions to make one strong one.

Electric trucks will be here as soon as we start tearing down high voltage transmission lines and replacing substation transformers with fusion generators. If such cheap power, and the advantages it brings us, doesn't start WW3.

nickw

Adventurer
Why not just skip the CVT step and make OTR trucks Diesel Electric like locomotives?

Seems to make a lot of sense, essentially doing the same thing as CVT in that you keep the engine at an optimal RPM / power level.

I'd imagine you could probably get away with lower HP rating to pull same loads, get rid of the complex trans and have a more robust system. I'm sure there is a reason why they haven't been done, weight, space req, etc...

bartheil

9 Gears is definitely too many on a Jeep Renegade. Drove one from San Diego to Yellowstone this summer. Highway passing is a pain as you it needs t downshift to 6th gear before picking up some momentum.

D

Deleted member 9101

My wife's Altima has a CVT and I love it. It's always "in the right gear" and gets pretty good fuel economy off of a low tech motor.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Why not just skip the CVT step and make OTR trucks Diesel Electric like locomotives?

Seems to make a lot of sense, essentially doing the same thing as CVT in that you keep the engine at an optimal RPM / power level.

I'd imagine you could probably get away with lower HP rating to pull same loads, get rid of the complex trans and have a more robust system. I'm sure there is a reason why they haven't been done, weight, space req, etc...

Hydrogen.

https://nikolamotor.com/one

Can't wait to drive one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles