Max Coupler Wearing Out

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well I was about to order a 2nd Max Coupler think I may hold off. I don’t need the off road articulation but mid as well go all out the first time and never need to upgrade. Will be watching to see where this goes.

I have to add my 2 cents here.

I bought a second hand off road trailer locally to me. It came with a 10 year old unit (Chris and JR pointed this out) and it was having some wearing / NVH issues. I spoke to both Chris and JR and they asked me to ship the hitch in.

As per my inspection, they agreed that the Yoke had some advanced wear due to age and use. They attempted to shim and adjust as much as possible but nothing would really get it into spec. He offered a replacement unit at their cost plus shipping. I agreed and they shipped it to me over night. Besides some additional questions regarding movement in the main body, they have been very reputable to work with and I wouldn't hesitate to spend my money here.

On a side note, the new design eliminates the wear in the yoke almost completely as long as it stays lubed... Very happy with this.

IanIMG_1337.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have to add my 2 cents here.

I bought a second hand off road trailer locally to me. It came with a 10 year old unit (Chris and JR pointed this out) and it was having some wearing / NVH issues. I spoke to both Chris and JR and they asked me to ship the hitch in.

As per my inspection, they agreed that the Yoke had some advanced wear due to age and use. They attempted to shim and adjust as much as possible but nothing would really get it into spec. He offered a replacement unit at their cost plus shipping. I agreed and they shipped it to me over night. Besides some additional questions regarding movement in the main body, they have been very reputable to work with and I wouldn't hesitate to spend my money here.

On a side note, the new design eliminates the wear in the yoke almost completely as long as it stays lubed... Very happy with this.

Ian

I guess that is nice. Interesting that you have only three posts on Expo and this is the third one in one month of total time. Maybe they are finally learning to offer customer service or did they specifically talk to you about this thread?

You can read my first few posts in the thread to see the crap they flung at me because I dared to complain about the lack of service they provided to myself and others.

The "new design" will not eliminate the wear by pushing grease through a zerk fitting. The surfaces being lubed are not sealed off from dust, mud and water so the best advice I can give you is to ignore their claims, disassemble and hand grease the wear surfaces after every trip so as to avoid undue wear. The zerk fitting is handy for applying lube while on the trail but I guarantee you dirt will remain as the zerk fitting does not evenly distribute grease such that it flows outward at all points.

v8turbo

Is CU OffRoad the manufacture of MaxCoupler ?

My MaxCoupler has been great. I am looking at the Cruisemaser DO35 as well.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Is CU OffRoad the manufacture of MaxCoupler ?

My MaxCoupler has been great. I am looking at the Cruisemaster DO35 as well.
/

Well, hello there "new member"! I guess the sytem tags you as such because you have 18 posts total over 5 years.

You have a "great" Max Coupler but you don't know who makes it? ;)

You are looking at an Australian coupler that is $338 in US dollars but is it imported to the US?

So what do you use your Max Coupler on? What generation is the coupler? Why would you dump your great $250 coupler and replace it with a $338 Aussie coupler?

v8turbo

Well, hello there "new member"! I guess the sytem tags you as such because you have 18 posts total over 5 years.

You have a "great" Max Coupler but you don't know who makes it? ;)

You are looking at an Australian coupler that is $338 in US dollars but is it imported to the US?

So what do you use your Max Coupler on? What generation is the coupler? Why would you dump your great $250 coupler and replace it with a $338 Aussie coupler?

Let me answer your questions -
  1. Correct - I don't post must. I'm usually out on the trails and not behind a screen.
  2. The coupler came with my AT Overland Trailer. It is 4 years old. No idea of the Gen.
  3. When I google .. I get CU Offroad. However - that website is not so informative. CU also has not returned email or calls. Not sure if they are in business or the manufacture.
4.Looking at an additional coupler or 2 because I have 5 trucks /multiple heights and would rather have couplers that align vs tearing down and swapping parts to correct tow angles.
5- So - is CU offroad the manufacture?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Let me answer your questions -
  1. Correct - I don't post must. I'm usually out on the trails and not behind a screen.
  2. The coupler came with my AT Overland Trailer. It is 4 years old. No idea of the Gen.
  3. When I google .. I get CU Offroad. However - that website is not so informative. CU also has not returned email or calls. Not sure if they are in business or the manufacture.
4.Looking at an additional coupler or 2 because I have 5 trucks /multiple heights and would rather have couplers that align vs tearing down and swapping parts to correct tow angles.
5- So - is CU offroad the manufacture?

Well, I don't get paid to be out on the trails although I do get out quite a bit and take the time to write about it on my blog: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/

I'm still behind on finishing the write-ups for 2018.... but in case you were concerned I was merely a member of the Expo Chair Force I pasted a few pictures below.

If you read the thread's first page or two there are plenty of pictures to help you figure out what generation coupler you have inherited. If you ever have any problems with it I highly recommend you get in touch with the fine folks at Adventure Trailers and ask for their advice or help.

CU Offroad's web site sucks.

They don't care and won't invest any time in fixing it. It has not been updated recently as far as I can tell. Let me quote myself from post #2 of this thread :
"It turns out that the website is deliberately designed to keep the end user at bay as stated to me by JR when I finally got a rather hostile return call and a very unhelpful follow-up email reply."

"JR" is one of the folks at CU Offroad who produce the Max Coupler and he is one reason I think so poorly of CU Offroad and their spotty record of customer support for their product, the Max Coupler.

IMG_5871-1.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

NKN_6995-1.jpg

July%2B2006%2B052.jpg

NKN_1353-1.jpg

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Follow up - after trying to get anyone from cu offroad to respond (see my posts in this thread for dates) I gave up on any hope of a warranty fix of the max coupler.

Energy suspension was also zero help when I called to purchase a replacement bushing since my max coupler bushing was falling apart with hardly any use.

Basically I have a $240 paperweight.

All I can say for sure is cu offroad and the max coupler suck ***. Yes I know. Not very elegant but I call it like I see it.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Follow up - after trying to get anyone from cu offroad to respond (see my posts in this thread for dates) I gave up on any hope of a warranty fix of the max coupler.

Energy suspension was also zero help when I called to purchase a replacement bushing since my max coupler bushing was falling apart with hardly any use.

Basically I have a $240 paperweight.

All I can say for sure is cu offroad and the max coupler suck ***. Yes I know. Not very elegant but I call it like I see it.

Wow! That first post was back in October of 2017. You think they might have replied once in all that time.

bshinn

One of those poly block couplers came on my Crux, and I'm less than impressed. The vehicle side does not mate well with US 2" ball mounts, the tongue on the ball mount is too narrow. I was able to tighten the bolt up and so far it has not rotated but the potential is there. The shaft on the poly block does not rotate freely and only one of the grease fittings will accept grease. I'm sure it will free up after wearing in with use, but that's the initial situation. I tried to find a source for a replacement block and was going to purchase to have on the shelf as a backup since other poly items I've used (HI Lift jack handle holder specifically) have failed after a few years exposure to UV. So far I have been unable to locate a source.

Mine was a Chinese version the Aussie manufactured ones might be better quality, IDK.

Just pulled the trigger on the DO35 and it's on the way from Straya. If its good enough for the guy's at Patriot....................

I'll post my thoughts when it gets here.

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
what leads you to make that guess?

The poly bushing inserts of the MC are surrounded by steel with the exposed face flat against more steel. The only chafing that occurs is at initial hook up. There is only one thru hole that deals with dynamic towing forces.

That poly block coupler seems to be designed to have a lot of wiggle room to dampen vibration. The block of poly has more chance for chafing against metal edges.

Possibly has a chance to eventually tear because of the two thru holes at opposing angles dealing with dynamic towing forces

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Just pulled the trigger on the DO35 and it's on the way from Straya. If its good enough for the guy's at Patriot....................

I'll post my thoughts when it gets here.

Who did you order the do35 from? What type of trailer are you putting it on? Would like to see pics and opinions once you get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles