Small family trailer - stage 2 - kitchen

wandererr

Adventurer
So finally my schedule is somewhat winding down and now I will have more time to devote to the trailer. Plus my dad is back from his travels and he is the master carpenter in the family. Between his carpentry skills and my welding and fabrications skills we will have something workable.

RbIv20L.jpg

So what we are looking at is the back of the trailer. The kitchen will be accessible from the back. The blue outline shows the area that I will have to work with. Area to the right is the bathroom on the inside which means it's off limits :)

The lower horizontal line is the level of cooktop and sink. It's somewhat lower then what you would want if the trailer was parked on the flat ground but more often then not I found that the the back end of the trailer usually sits higher then the ground behind it and I don't want to be standing on the stool to get to it ;)

Now there are two routes that I am considering going with and each route has two variations itself. So here goes nothing:

1. Back swings (out or up - these are the two options within the options - I'll get into the details below) within the outside blue lines. The kitchen top is inside and the opening is where I work. Upside more wind protection - downside, less storage space.

2. Back swings (same caveat as above) and the lower blue rectangle pulls out on slides with the stove top and sink.

The two options for covering the opening are: swing up or swing out to the side.

A. Swing the back "door" up
B. Swing the back "door" to the side

Option A makes perfect sense in the respect that it becomes my "shade/roof" to protect from direct rain or sun.

Option B makes sense because especially with option 2 as I might not have to be lifting up from as high of a position since there is no need for an opening any more bur rather just covering/protecting the slide.

So... choices choices choices....... I'm leaning more towards 2B with the door being tall enough to offer wind protection to the stove from at least one the side s. If I make it tall enough it could be support for some sort of a roof.

One thing I forgot to add is that the kitchen table top will be 18x38. Btw if I go with the slide option I will have a flip up shelf extension to the side making the kitchen space bigger.

One more edit - can anyone recommend some good drawer slides? I only need about 18 inches.

Last edited:

wandererr

Adventurer
thanks - now I'm trying to decide between the two:
http://ahturf.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=26941_882_883_14866&product_id=19904
http://ahturf.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=26941_882_883_4831&product_id=71212

The first one is lighter duty - 110 lbs... leaning towards "not enough" so I'm leaning towards the latter. The description is kind of poor on it but some googling around yielded this little gem

http://www.dbroberts.com/products/accuride/9307-9308-R5-0811.pdf

Yikes - found a minus regarding how they setup :( The little lockouts protrude outside of the 18" making the slide longer - this might be an issue with mounting :(

Last edited:

wandererr

Adventurer
Thanks Stomper! Placed an order for the 3600 series. Looks like they're just what the doctor ordered - the right weight capacity and they lock in and out! :)

I'll have a slide out kitchen with stove and sink and opening cabinets up above.

Here's the opening:
MotkF7s.jpg

Last edited:

wandererr

Adventurer
Here's the opening with the slides out
HSAD70g.jpg

And two views of what the shelf will look like. Btw, I'm going for just a slide out shelf with the sink and stove as underneath it will be water clean and brown water storage and there is no need to move that in and out.
iI2tN3k.jpg

gytGLMw.jpg

stomperxj

Explorer
Thanks Stomper! Placed an order for the 3600 series. Looks like they're just what the doctor ordered - the right weight capacity and they lock in and out! :)

I'll have a slide out kitchen with stove and sink and opening cabinets up above.

Here's the opening:

Glad they worked for you. How's the quality/fit/finish on those? They look good in your pics anyway :)

wandererr

Adventurer
Glad they worked for you. How's the quality/fit/finish on those? They look good in your pics anyway :)
They are good - they are very smooth and solid. They do have one deficiency in the design though (IMHO). You have to press the levers down to unlock. It would have been easier to operate them if you could press the lever up.

wandererr

Adventurer
Finally got the door hung (still test fitting). The door will open to expose the kitchen cabinets and the kitchen slide. Btw, those are not the final colors :)

LujTkRI.jpg

9upxXAK.jpg

wandererr

Adventurer
More work progressed:
BiwdTyU.jpg

One of the cabinets opens to the inside so that you can pass things from the fridge inside to the outside
ZXW1lT2.jpg

And here is the main kitchen slide
wHjlzgW.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne