Off Road Expo East Surprise

B

BPD53

The Alpha just means it has the V8. The adventure package had the locker/lockers (depending on year), and the 4 to 1 transfer case.

You are correct.

I wasn't able to call my truck an Adventure Package due to the 4:1 transfer case ratio. I wanted the 3:15 ratio and didn't want to degrade the Adventure Package designation by saying mine was one. Close but no cigar. I have to settle for an upgraded Alpha.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I just saw this post. I don't know how I missed it earlier.

I never said or suggested it came stock like a Hummer H3 Alpha with front and rear locker and a 4:1 transfer case. All I said was my truck is essentially a Hummer H3 Alpha. I spent the past 7 years building it piece by piece. I spent alot of time designing parts to integrate together and scouring junk yards for parts. LKQ was helpful with their online parts inventory. I spent alot of time ensuring my truck looked stock and had a certain "sleeper" quality. I know I could have simply went out and bought a H3 Alpha from the dealership, but then I'd be cookie cutter just like everyone else.

I respectfully disagree regarding the suggestion that the 3 major Colorado lift kits companies (Skyjacker/Rancho/Ruff Country) constitute aftermarket support. Call Novak Adapters and tell them you want to swap a Dana 20 into a IFS Colorado and you'll see how quick the aftermarket support fades. Novak ended up being very helpful with my project, but I was the first one they had heard of doing what I planned. I worked with JB Fab to design and build a one off Dana 20 twin stick cable shifter that would clear the body and 4l60e transmission pan without a body lift. I was the first to modify the Hummer H3 cast iron front differential and integrate it into a Colorado. I had no idea if everything was going to work together but grabbed a tape measure and went to work.

I was able to buy a few pieces that were designed specifically for the Colorado, but most were custom designed by myself or fabricated for a H3 and integrated into my build. I definitely did't go to a 4wd shop to buy off the shelf parts.

I do not want to sound disrespectful and PLEASE do not take my words to be arrogant. I am honestly telling you that it was not easy to piece everything together for my truck because some of it had never been done before or since.

As far as I know, I have the only 1st Generation Colorado setup in this configuration on the planet earth. I call that pretty rare.

I have plans on the drawing board for further fabrication, but I got to fix a few little annoying things first. I gotta pull my Dana 20 for the third time to modify the rear poppet spring. I am still experiencing issues with it popping out of gear at highway speeds while coasting downhill under no load. It has only done it 3 times, but thats 3 times too many for me. Right now I'm still using a bungee cord to ensure it stays in gear. I HATE crap like that, but I don't have the time to pull the case again.

I am aware of a guy in Idaho that will probably put me to shame. He is a true fabricator and managed to keep the IFS and swap in a NP205. He had to fabricate a whole new torsion bar crossmember that allowed clearance for that huge transfer case. He has a true one of a kind truck. I'm pretty sure he is using a 6.0 V8 too. He contacted me to buy some leftover parts I had and I was amazed at what he had envisioned. When he finishes his build he will be very rare for sure.

I was just tired of the same old boring stuff. I want guys to build something that has never been done and see if it works. Standing out of the crowd while remaining unassuming can be difficult. Its fun to be underestimated.

Sounds like you have put the right effort into your truck and it works well. Is that guy in Idaho the one who built that long travel SAS s10 about 10 years ago? I can't recall if the guy lived in UT or Idaho, but we ran into him twice in Moab and really knew his stuff. And I can certainly relate to having a rare vehicle setup, you can sometimes find a US vendor with OME parts in stock but the only suspension worth buying for the Montero usually drop ships from Australia, as well as transfer case gearing options. We can however use junkyard parts for upgrading the ring and pinion, and on rare occasion find some manual hubs. Thankfully though they fit 33's stock, so you can do quite a bit before needing to upgrade, and once my current set of 33x10.50 km2's wear out I will be fitting up a set of 34x10.50 ko2's.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You are correct.

I wasn't able to call my truck an Adventure Package due to the 4:1 transfer case ratio. I wanted the 3:15 ratio and didn't want to degrade the Adventure Package designation by saying mine was one. Close but no cigar. I have to settle for an upgraded Alpha.

The 3:15 case is more versatile anyway.

B

BPD53

Sounds like you have put the right effort into your truck and it works well. Is that guy in Idaho the one who built that long travel SAS s10 about 10 years ago? I can't recall if the guy lived in UT or Idaho, but we ran into him twice in Moab and really knew his stuff. And I can certainly relate to having a rare vehicle setup, you can sometimes find a US vendor with OME parts in stock but the only suspension worth buying for the Montero usually drop ships from Australia, as well as transfer case gearing options. We can however use junkyard parts for upgrading the ring and pinion, and on rare occasion find some manual hubs. Thankfully though they fit 33's stock, so you can do quite a bit before needing to upgrade, and once my current set of 33x10.50 km2's wear out I will be fitting up a set of 34x10.50 ko2's.

I'm not sure if it's the same guy or not.

I formally apologize that I got this thread derailed with my stupid stuff. I'll try to fix it now.

Bottom line: A Hummer H3 makes a great 4x4 camping vehicle and should be considered for "overlanding".

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
They should have never been gas powered.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I wonder how hard it would be to swap the GM 2.8 diesel into one? Imagine an H3 Alpha with a diesel, kind of like dreaming about Jeep putting a diesel in the Wrangler, almost.

watrboy

Observer
I checked out a new Colorado ZR2 today in the parking lot at work and before I read this I came away thinking it reminded me of the Hummer truck H3 thing.

Regarding the OP's concern: what exactly do you need to "build" an expo rig? Almost any vehicle in stock form is quite capable of handling the car camping duties you're going to throw at it. It has 4wd? Great! You can go car camping in the dirt!

On the trails here in CO, everyone has a built up JK or TJ or LJ or...... to be honest, I don't know the difference. They all look the same. If you like owning a car with so much aftermarket support that you can get stickers of trails that you may or may not have driven that cover your hood- then buy a JK. Otherwise, put some gas in the tank (not vehicle specific), load up the car (not vehicle specific), plan a trip and go. Give me a list of vehicle specific items that you NEED in order to car camping. Air compressor, frig/cooler, awning, tent, lights, stove, chairs, radios, navigation...... none of that is vehicle specific.

Well said. What it is all about.
:smiley_drive:

Dalko43

Explorer
I wonder how hard it would be to swap the GM 2.8 diesel into one? Imagine an H3 Alpha with a diesel, kind of like dreaming about Jeep putting a diesel in the Wrangler, almost.

Go buy a Wrangler overseas and you don't have to dream. They put the 2.8l VM Motori diesel in it (same one that's used in the Colorado).

H2 and H3 should have gotten diesel options, no doubt about it. There were many rumors of diesel options coming to the midsized and fullsized truck segments that never materialized due to the financial crash. It's taken nearly 10 years for the domestic truck companies to finally reengage on diesel engines (outside of the 3/4 ton segment obviously); slowly but surely more diesel options are making their way to the market.

FeralBoy

Observer
The 5.3 is a great engine, I'm thinking the H2 should have been Duramax powered.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AlexCold

Observer
There may or may not have been work on a diesel H3 before the end of Hummer.

Dmax H2 is possible but it barely fits and it’s a ton of work. I’ll keep the 6.0 and pay for the fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne