Off Road Expo East Surprise

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I again attended the Off-Road Expo east earlier this month in Asheville and was again surprised at how few H2 and H3 Hummers were in the camp grounds and virtually nothing displayed in the vendors section showing parts and upgrades for Hummer's therefore my question:

Are Hummer's of any type that out of favor with the Expo Crowd for building an "Expo" vehicle?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
They were mostly a passing fad for the "I gotta have it because it looks cool" crowd, most who owned them have moved on to other fad vehicles and nobody really wants them used because there are better options that get better mpg.

B

BPD53

My vehicle is essentially a Hummer H3 Alpha and I like it because it's not like everybody else. Having a lot of aftermarket support can be a blessing and a curse at the same time. I am proud to have no representation at Expo East because you cannot swing a dead cat without hitting a built 4Runner/Tacoma/LR/Jeep etc....

The blessing of little to no aftermarket support means my heap is completely one of a kind. I see a lot of "built" vehicles and they all have the same bolt on crap that makes me yawn.

The H3 Alpha is a very capable vehicle that goes under appreciated by "most" people. My truck wasn't all that great out of the box, but now it will surprise someone who doesn't realize how capable an unassuming vehicle can be. The Hummer H3 Alpha is worth building in my humble opinion.

I joke that I built and owned a Colorado ZR2 before it was cool. "Most" people have no ability to make something out of nothing so they move on to an easier project with a catalog of upgrade parts at hand. Lord knows it would be nice to open a catalog and buy something you know will fit and has tons of reviews, but I guess that would be too easy.

I cannot speak regarding the Hummer H2s because I have no experience with them whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalko43

Explorer
I think the H2 and H3 (not talking about the actual military-based vehicles) suffered from the same image problems as the FJ Cruiser. It's a vehicle built around a solid foundation, but one that demonstrated questionable (arguably gaudy) design choices. I'm sure design alone has turned away a lot of people from buying that vehicle, as superficial as that may sound.

The H2's and H3's were essentially offering ZR2-like capabilities (minus the diesel) well before the popular Colorado ZR2 hit the sales floors: front and rear lockers, good approach and departure angles, recovery hooks, skid plates, ect. The H2 and H3's certainly seem to be fetching Toyota-like prices on the used market, which makes sense given all their offroad options.

I think they'd make for great overland/offroad project vehicles; the styling is the one aspect that keeps me from truly liking those vehicles.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
My vehicle is essentially a Hummer H3 Alpha and I like it because it's not like everybody else. Having a lot of aftermarket support can be a blessing and a curse at the same time. I am proud to have no representation at Expo East because you cannot swing a dead cat without hitting a built 4Runner/Tacoma/LR/Jeep etc....

The blessing of little to no aftermarket support means my heap is completely one of a kind. I see a lot of "built" vehicles and they all have the same bolt on crap that makes me yawn.

The H3 Alpha is a very capable vehicle that goes under appreciated by "most" people. My truck wasn't all that great out of the box, but now it will surprise someone who doesn't realize how capable an unassuming vehicle can be. The Hummer H3 Alpha is worth building in my humble opinion.

I joke that I built and owned a Colorado ZR2 before it was cool. "Most" people have no ability to make something out of nothing so they move on to an easier project with a catalog of upgrade parts at hand. Lord knows it would be nice to open a catalog and buy something you know will fit and has tons of reviews, but I guess that would be too easy.

I cannot speak regarding the Hummer H2s because I have no experience with them whatsoever.

So your truck came stock with factory front and rear lockers and a 4 to 1 transfer case? And last I checked, you can walk into any 4wd shop or look online and find a number of lifts for the Colorado/Canyon right on the shelf, far from what I would call rare or hard to get.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
So your truck came stock with factory front and rear lockers and a 4 to 1 transfer case?

I don't know about the base Colorado, but the H3 (which was based on the Colorado platform) did offer front and rear lockers and a 4:1 transfer case as factory options.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I don't know about the base Colorado, but the H3 (which was based on the Colorado platform) did offer front and rear lockers and a 4:1 transfer case as factory options.

I am fully aware of what the H3 Alpha had, he was claiming his Colorado was "essentially a Hummer H3 Alpha", thus I was asking him what made his Colorado essentially an H3 Alpha.

AlexCold

Observer
I'm a bit biased, I work for GM and worked on Rod Hall's H2 and H3 race trucks. These were basically stock trucks that could do the Baja 1000 and win. The stock versions were very capable. H2s and H3s have gone to Moab, Farmington, and the Rubicon and have not failed. If I could find a decently priced H2, I would jump on it. It's like going off-roading on a giant couch. And I also have no visibility issues with the H2, I find the H3 to be worse.

B

BPD53

I am fully aware of what the H3 Alpha had, he was claiming his Colorado was "essentially a Hummer H3 Alpha", thus I was asking him what made his Colorado essentially an H3 Alpha.

Mine is as close as you can get and better is some respects. Don't be a doubting Thomas.

I said it wasn't all that great out of the box but its been modified by myself to include:

Hummer H3 Front Cast Iron Differential - Only used in certain years and models
Front ARB Air Locker
Dana 20 Transfer Case Swap - Twin Sticked
Teralow 3.15 Gearset
Advance Adapters HD Rear 32 Spline Output Shaft
Tom Woods custom driveshafts - Front & Rear
OX Locker Rear Locker
High Clearance Rear Shock Mounts
Custom fabricated front bumper/hitch
Aluminum Skids - "customized" by myself - The first set I used was weak
Clears 33.5" tires with no lift
Homemade drawers in the bed
Aux fuel cell
The lists goes on and on

It has it where it counts. Mine is rare and not easy to get. It's essentially a H3 Alpha. I am not a big fan of posting "show off" pics but I can provide some if proof is required.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BPD53

I'm a bit biased, I work for GM and worked on Rod Hall's H2 and H3 race trucks. These were basically stock trucks that could do the Baja 1000 and win. The stock versions were very capable. H2s and H3s have gone to Moab, Farmington, and the Rubicon and have not failed. If I could find a decently priced H2, I would jump on it. It's like going off-roading on a giant couch. And I also have no visibility issues with the H2, I find the H3 to be worse.

I would love to see Rod Hall's H3 in person. I would like to build a watered down version of his suspension. I am jealous that you got to wrench on that rig.

I had always heard the H2's were not the greatest off road vehicles, but I would be willing to give one a whirl if I got the chance. I bet they could be built pretty well too.

The H3 Alpha was the vehicle I wanted to replicate with my truck. I wanted a wolf in sheeps clothing kind of thing. I focused on the H3 too hard I guess and never really researched the H2. I have some more reading to do apparently.

BTW: You wouldn't happen to have any behind the scene photos of Rod Hall's H3?

AlexCold

Observer
There isn’t really anything different from the stock pieces expect the shocks which were 3.5 Fox Shocks with reservoirs. The rear was spring under with Deaver leaves and another set of Fox shocks. Everything else was stock.

The H2s are awesome for a stock rig. The weak link is the tie rod ends and don’t get the airbags in the rear. A set of custom valves Fox shocks from Rod and they were nice and comfy. They’re big but they wheel great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stix999

I again attended the Off-Road Expo east earlier this month in Asheville and was again surprised at how few H2 and H3 Hummers were in the camp grounds and virtually nothing displayed in the vendors section showing parts and upgrades for Hummer's therefore my question:

Are Hummer's of any type that out of favor with the Expo Crowd for building an "Expo" vehicle?

Most of the Hummers ended up on the back 40. Not sure if it was just arrival time or somehow planned :). All of the owners I spoke with seemed to be good people who enjoy their trucks, even with the negative press they often get. Maybe at some point when the 20 inch rims and chrome packages dissipate, perceptions might hopefully change.

B

BPD53

So your truck came stock with factory front and rear lockers and a 4 to 1 transfer case? And last I checked, you can walk into any 4wd shop or look online and find a number of lifts for the Colorado/Canyon right on the shelf, far from what I would call rare or hard to get.

I just saw this post. I don't know how I missed it earlier.

I never said or suggested it came stock like a Hummer H3 Alpha with front and rear locker and a 4:1 transfer case. All I said was my truck is essentially a Hummer H3 Alpha. I spent the past 7 years building it piece by piece. I spent alot of time designing parts to integrate together and scouring junk yards for parts. LKQ was helpful with their online parts inventory. I spent alot of time ensuring my truck looked stock and had a certain "sleeper" quality. I know I could have simply went out and bought a H3 Alpha from the dealership, but then I'd be cookie cutter just like everyone else.

I respectfully disagree regarding the suggestion that the 3 major Colorado lift kits companies (Skyjacker/Rancho/Ruff Country) constitute aftermarket support. Call Novak Adapters and tell them you want to swap a Dana 20 into a IFS Colorado and you'll see how quick the aftermarket support fades. Novak ended up being very helpful with my project, but I was the first one they had heard of doing what I planned. I worked with JB Fab to design and build a one off Dana 20 twin stick cable shifter that would clear the body and 4l60e transmission pan without a body lift. I was the first to modify the Hummer H3 cast iron front differential and integrate it into a Colorado. I had no idea if everything was going to work together but grabbed a tape measure and went to work.

I was able to buy a few pieces that were designed specifically for the Colorado, but most were custom designed by myself or fabricated for a H3 and integrated into my build. I definitely did't go to a 4wd shop to buy off the shelf parts.

I do not want to sound disrespectful and PLEASE do not take my words to be arrogant. I am honestly telling you that it was not easy to piece everything together for my truck because some of it had never been done before or since.

As far as I know, I have the only 1st Generation Colorado setup in this configuration on the planet earth. I call that pretty rare.

I have plans on the drawing board for further fabrication, but I got to fix a few little annoying things first. I gotta pull my Dana 20 for the third time to modify the rear poppet spring. I am still experiencing issues with it popping out of gear at highway speeds while coasting downhill under no load. It has only done it 3 times, but thats 3 times too many for me. Right now I'm still using a bungee cord to ensure it stays in gear. I HATE crap like that, but I don't have the time to pull the case again.

I am aware of a guy in Idaho that will probably put me to shame. He is a true fabricator and managed to keep the IFS and swap in a NP205. He had to fabricate a whole new torsion bar crossmember that allowed clearance for that huge transfer case. He has a true one of a kind truck. I'm pretty sure he is using a 6.0 V8 too. He contacted me to buy some leftover parts I had and I was amazed at what he had envisioned. When he finishes his build he will be very rare for sure.

I was just tired of the same old boring stuff. I want guys to build something that has never been done and see if it works. Standing out of the crowd while remaining unassuming can be difficult. Its fun to be underestimated.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I checked out a new Colorado ZR2 today in the parking lot at work and before I read this I came away thinking it reminded me of the Hummer truck H3 thing.

Regarding the OP's concern: what exactly do you need to "build" an expo rig? Almost any vehicle in stock form is quite capable of handling the car camping duties you're going to throw at it. It has 4wd? Great! You can go car camping in the dirt!

On the trails here in CO, everyone has a built up JK or TJ or LJ or...... to be honest, I don't know the difference. They all look the same. If you like owning a car with so much aftermarket support that you can get stickers of trails that you may or may not have driven that cover your hood- then buy a JK. Otherwise, put some gas in the tank (not vehicle specific), load up the car (not vehicle specific), plan a trip and go. Give me a list of vehicle specific items that you NEED in order to car camping. Air compressor, frig/cooler, awning, tent, lights, stove, chairs, radios, navigation...... none of that is vehicle specific.

BigOrca

The Alpha just means it has the V8. The adventure package had the locker/lockers (depending on year), and the 4 to 1 transfer case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior